Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GordonR

Quote from: Southstreeter on 25 May, 2016, 06:14:54 PM
Thanks, folks. I'll try and get to Edinburgh FP next time I'm in town.
Indigo Prime, couldn't get that link to work, and when I tried to track it down via the megacollection site it led to a non-existent page...

The Scottish branches of FP - and the ones in Ireland, NY and even a few places in England are a completely different company from the rest of the chain.  (Don't ask.  It's long and complicated...)

Just because FP London has lots in still stock is no guarantee the Scottish one's will - different company, different stock-ordering policies.  Your best bet is probably ordering online.

moly

Looking at wiki page that's about 70 issues announced

IndigoPrime

Indigo Prime, couldn't get that link to work, and when I tried to track it down via the megacollection site it led to a non-existent page...
Ah, yes, but you weren't factoring in me being a colossal edit and apparently forgetting how the forum software works. It's fixed now. Or just click here.

Quote from: Trent on 25 May, 2016, 06:17:16 PMFor a tenner a pop they are a bargain and then some.
Mm. That's what gets me about these books. They compare very favourably to volumes that usually cost 5–10 quid more.

Incidentally, on back issues, it'd be interesting to know how you'd cherry pick from that's there. Right now, I can only think of a couple of volumes that were broadly iffy (Heavy Mob; Klegg Hai!), and a couple I wasn't fussed about (Shimura; Alien Nations). All the rest have for me ranged from good to pretty bloody excellent.

I, Cosh

Thanks, folks. I'll try and get to Edinburgh FP next time I'm in town.
Edinburgh FP is usually pretty shite for this sort of thing, but Glasgow has the majority of volumes readily available.
We never really die.

Trent

I think I must be going mad but I thought one of PJ's murders had a woman encased in pink jelly. Does anyone know what story this happened in? Driving me nuts.
Cheers

teckno viking

He does indeed kill a woman like that.

It's the woman who was writing the biography on PJ Maybe if memory serves.
A boy was using the biography to try and replicate PJ Maybe (who now is Mayor).

TordelBack

Quote from: teckno viking on 26 May, 2016, 12:42:57 PM
He does indeed kill a woman like that.

It's the woman who was writing the biography on PJ Maybe if memory serves.
A boy was using the biography to try and replicate PJ Maybe (who now is Mayor).

That'd be Emphatically Evil Progs 1569-1575. Basically the next story after the Christmas one that closes out the volume. Probably could fit into the first Tour of Duty volume.

Trent

Ah yes, thanks. I have no doubt it will be included.

IndigoPrime

Miller on the cover, so that assumes Purgatory's in there too. At least all that garbage is in one book. I hope the other one that month can take away from the stench.

EDIT: Ah, the other book's 'Lowlife: Hostile Takeover', which is very much at the other end of the quality scale.

Southstreeter

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 25 May, 2016, 07:42:34 PM
Ah, yes, but you weren't factoring in me being a colossal edit and apparently forgetting how the forum software works. It's fixed now. Or just click here.

Thanks! Will have a look.

Trent

Purgatory and Inferno have wonderful Carlos art. Complete nonsense that aside of course but I've always found them readable purely due to the art. As you say though, it might be handy getting dross Dredd in a single volume given the other stories (50 plus pages) look to be Garth Ennis/ Carlos productions (Death Aid, Return of the King, Taking of Sector 123 and/or Christmas with Attitude). Let me know if I've missed any.

abelardsnazz

Opinions are clearly divided on Inferno. I don't have good memories of it, but am kind of looking forward to reading it again, for Carlos' art if nothing else.

So, and in the light of recent stories  what are the best Dredd tales not written by Wagner, Grant or Mills?

Trent

Guilty pleasures include the Jonni Kiss/Marshals stories (shame the Marshals was not included in Target:Judge Dredd volume, lovely Sean Phillips art), Raider, Darkside (apart from Alan Craddock's 'contribution'), Gordon's substantial run built up beautifully but I believe he had other fish to fry so it never really got to pay off, Served Cold I really enjoyed, Monkey on my Back was good Ennis, recently Trifecta and Titan and The Cop was fun.
Quite a few but the real gems were by the man himself.
Any other suggestions or disagreements?

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 26 May, 2016, 10:03:15 PM
Opinions are clearly divided on Inferno. I don't have good memories of it, but am kind of looking forward to reading it again, for Carlos' art if nothing else.

So, and in the light of recent stories  what are the best Dredd tales not written by Wagner, Grant or Mills?

Almost everything by Ewing, an awful lot of Rob Williams' stuff and a good half of Ennis, for a start.
@jamesfeistdraws