Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Special mention should be made of Ewing's bleak Christmas Dredds, classics all.

Rennie has a lot of really good tales to catch up on:, the Planet Gary stories, the House of Pain/Vigilante stuff, Judgement (the Ian Gibson Origins interlude),  Bato Loco, Regime Change and Gulag, the Couch Potatoes, the Tour of Duty one with the dragon, It Came From Bea Arthur Block... (although I realise a fair few of these have been in the MC already).

Most of Mike Carroll's short stories are good (e.g. Caterpillars), and latterly his intertwining post-Chaos tales have become very satisfying.

Robbie Morrison has done some good stuff, such as Blindside and Hard Day's Night, and Si Spurrier has had a few good 'uns as well.

All in all we've been blessed with a great crop of writers over the last 15 years.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 26 May, 2016, 10:27:18 PM
Quote from: abelardsnazz on 26 May, 2016, 10:03:15 PM
Opinions are clearly divided on Inferno. I don't have good memories of it, but am kind of looking forward to reading it again, for Carlos' art if nothing else.
So, and in the light of recent stories  what are the best Dredd tales not written by Wagner, Grant or Mills?
Almost everything by Ewing, an awful lot of Rob Williams' stuff and a good half of Ennis, for a start.
And Rennie has contributed a pile of cracking Dredd stories.

NB opinions are not divided on Inferno.
We never really die.

Jade Falcon

I haven't finished the PJ Maybe volume yet, but so far cracking stuff.  I haven't read a single story here before.

Frightening thought, if Maybe had grown up on Death's world and was even a school classmate would we have five Dark Judges?  :lol:
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

The Monarch

I still like a lot of gordon rennies dredd stuff

TordelBack

Quote from: Jade Falcon on 27 May, 2016, 12:10:49 AM

Frightening thought, if Maybe had grown up on Death's world and was even a school classmate would we have five Dark Judges?  :lol:

More likely just the one.

teckno viking

Just a thought on the Mega Collection.

How about a Technical read out issue, A companion Tech Read Out issue to the Mega Collection or at least A4/A3 carded series of JUSTICE DEPT hardware, Uniforms, weapons etc?

robert_ellis

I always find the idea of tech drawings of Dredd's world fascinating but flawed. I love that Willsher draws the bike differently to chris Weston. Or that McCarthy's Dredd had a triangular helmet. And that the lawgiver changed completely with Bisley. I think one of the strengths of 2000ad is to allow mutation in Dredd's design. I'd love to see a through the ages info-graphic of Dredd's world.

Tjm86

Just curious but anyone seen anything on the next subscriber print?  The next one should be due with the next set if I've it worked out correctly.  Isn't it supposed to be Bolland?

Michael Knight

I would like an index more than anything! I absolutely love the collection but this seems a bit shortsighted in the planning of how the collection will sit on shelves surely?

robert_ellis

Just read "the life and crimes of pj maybe". This is truly the Crown Jewels of Dredd in one massive volume. Having only ever read the Liam sharp & Anthony Williams stuff I was amazed by the amount of PJ stories. The quality never falters either. It's always great to find a substantial Carlos Ezquerra story you've never seen before. The chris Weston stuff is top notch although I found the 3D bsckgrounds a bit jarring. This actually feels like the thickest volume yet. I'd felt a bit disappointed by the Missionary man volume but this is just perfect.

Trent

I think the Doomsday book is a few pages thicker but thrilled that both are so comprehensive. The PJ stories are quintessential Wagner Dredd, absolute gems that really show Marvel and DC how to do a recurring villain. The real time element adds hugely to Dredd if you invest in the characters.
Can't say I was disappointed by Missionary Man, wild west Cursed Earth stories never previously reprinted and 3 classic Ron Smith tales. Lovely stuff - only True Grit missed the mark for me.

robert_ellis

I really loved the Ron Smith stuff - crazy, vital & dynamic. I've never read Missionary man before - maybe reading earlier stories will  endear me to him. Except for the Henry Flint stuff  the art felt flat & lifeless. I love Alex Ronald's current stuff so I had high hopes for this. Still really loving this collection and hope it gets extended.

Trent

Alex Ronald (or Roland as he is creditted in the Judge Dredd sketchbook) certainly divides opinion. I can see why people, Mr Rennie included, take issue with it but personally it was one of my favourite styles of the time and the washed out colouring really worked for me. Moody and atmospheric, suitable fot the Western angle and with more going on than first meets the eye. Clearly a very talented artist as his recent work demonstrates to all. I remember feeling frustrated at the neon colouring of his art in The Pit but loved the underlying penwork.

robert_ellis

I love Vampire Vixens & Alex Ronald's odd prog & Meg covers are outstanding. I'd love to see him on the Dark Judges or some horror in the prog. It's great that the MegaCollection gets you to re-evaluate art you might have enjoyed when you were much younger. The Liam Sharp stuff is even better than I remember and Ron Smith (much like Benardinelli) is so distinctive that the younger me just hated it. It now seems like crazy genius. I'd still like to see an index so I could flit between volumes and have a clue as to what's where!

Trent

Yes, an index would be handy - volume 120 ideally!