Main Menu

Dan Abnett is now DC Exclusive

Started by Dan Banks, 26 May, 2016, 08:05:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan Banks

hippynumber1

Art

I think this has come upbefore with other creators and quite often doesn't include 2000AD work? I think their primary concern is Marvel.

That said, with Image being so big these days attitudes may have changed.

Trent

Be interesting to see if it affects Kingdom. Grey Area looks to be wrapping up (this arc at least) and Sinister Dexter felt like it was finished after the last run. Maybe the next runs of Kingdom are already written and being brought to life by Mr Elsion. Be a shame if he can't contribute to 2000AD as he is a consistently imagination ive writer and has a good feel for dialogue in particular.

Colin YNWA

First of all of course, congratulations to Mr Abnett for getting a deal.

Secondly we've had loads of 2000ad creators in the past still working for the Galaxies Greatest while under an 'exclusive' (in fact I think Dan has been exclusive at Marvel in the past? Pretty sure of that). While not knowing the details if his contract if past form is anything to go by the biggest danger is how busy it keeps him BUT I'm hopefully he'll still be around.

Banners

Fair play. Given how amazing the latest episode of Lawless is, I'm only surprised that God hasn't signed him up to write the new third testament of the Bible. One only hopes the deal doesn't apply to the House of Tharg.

IndigoPrime

On Twitter, someone asked "does your dc exclusive mean no @2000ad work?" and he replied: "No, UK work is entirely separate."

Big_Dave

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 26 May, 2016, 09:14:29 PM
y the biggest danger is how busy it keeps him

nothing stopping any ex 2000 ad writer returning from the usa

except time & money

Dan Banks

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 26 May, 2016, 10:57:51 PM
On Twitter, someone asked "does your dc exclusive mean no @2000ad work?" and he replied: "No, UK work is entirely separate."

Phew!!

TordelBack

QuoteDan Abnett is now DC Exclusive.

This meant something quite different when I were a lad.

I, Cosh

Well, I guess that Hercules series I was enjoying is fucked now.
We never really die.

Greg M.

Quote from: The Cosh on 27 May, 2016, 09:09:44 AM
Well, I guess that Hercules series I was enjoying is fucked now.

The last issue was, I think, just that - the last issue. He's doing a 'Gods of War' mini for Civil War II, but presumably that's it for him and Marvel for the moment. A shame, from my perspective - I'll generally pick up anything he writes at Marvel, but I doubt I'll do the same for his DC work.

jacob g

Quote from: Greg M. on 27 May, 2016, 09:33:37 AMI'll generally pick up anything he writes at Marvel, but I doubt I'll do the same for his DC work.

Actually I'm interested in his Titan series (and Titans Hunt as soon TPB will hit the stores).
margaritas ante porcos

Theblazeuk

Quote from: Greg M. on 27 May, 2016, 09:33:37 AM
The last issue was, I think, just that - the last issue. He's doing a 'Gods of War' mini for Civil War II, but presumably that's it for him and Marvel for the moment. A shame, from my perspective - I'll generally pick up anything he writes at Marvel, but I doubt I'll do the same for his DC work.

DC is where I've found the best of Dan's work across either of the Spandex and Superpowers. Nothing will top his Legion run for me (Ra's al bloody ghul!) and Resurrection Man is my favourite z-list character no one will ever know or remember.

Greg M.

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 27 May, 2016, 12:42:10 PM
DC is where I've found the best of Dan's work across either of the Spandex and Superpowers. Nothing will top his Legion run for me (Ra's al bloody ghul!) and Resurrection Man is my favourite z-list character no one will ever know or remember.

I like Resurrection Man as a character - I picked up Abnett's last run on it for the New 52 (strange to think there were actually quite a few titles at the New 52 launch that seemed appealing.) My Marvel bias is purely subjective - I'm just not as invested in the DC characters. I do generally prefer Abnett's work for US publishers to his 2000AD work though.