Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

'Watching a few episodes of GREAT DANGAIOH'

Well this is pretty bad, but the mecha action is nice, hope nothing happens to make it wo-

'Gets to the episode that reveals 3/4 of the '87 cast died ALIEN3 style post OVA'

FUCK. THIS. SHIIIIITE!!!!!!

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 18 September, 2016, 09:24:24 PM
'Watching a few episodes of GREAT DANGAIOH'

Well this is pretty bad, but the mecha action is nice, hope nothing happens to make it wo-

'Gets to the episode that reveals 3/4 of the '87 cast died ALIEN3 style post OVA'

FUCK. THIS. SHIIIIITE!!!!!!

'Watches another half an episode'

No, seriously, fuck off with this shit, now it's just straight lifting from Alien3 and Resurection, what with Miya being a clone of the original from the OVA's, which apparently took place 40 years ago now.

What an absolute piss take, i'm out. And do you know what the most frustrating part is? The original series left any follow up with the strong option of a clean slate after a huge tragedy in the finale of episode 3, placing the 4 leads in a new situation without Dangaioh to fall back on, and the four components int a wreck like condition.

Great Dangaioh has done nothing to follow up on the potential the (all too short) original had, and is instead a monumental dogs dinner.

TordelBack

I swear to Grud you're just making this stuff up now.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Tordelback on 19 September, 2016, 11:17:02 AM
I swear to Grud you're just making this stuff up now.
I so wish I was, I so bloody wish I was.

Seriously though, DANGAIOH mini series, GREAT! Go watch that gloriously cheesy 80's action fest!

GREAT DANGAIOH is anything but great. Hmph.

Hawkmumbler

Well, after that shite, I needed a pallet cleanser. A personal favorite, finally bought in HD...

dweezil2

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 28 July, 2016, 12:21:21 PM
FARGO Season 2 on Netflix.

Enjoying this and the episode that looks like it is shaping up to be Assault on Precinct 13 is one of teh best bits of telly I've seen in a long time; full of brilliant tension, great dialogue, cracking character bits and unexpected plot twists and turns.

And this followed by a great Miller's Crossing referencing scene in the next episode (it *must* have been deliberate choice to use Danny Boy on the soundtrack).

It's deliberately larger in scale than other Fargos; instead of one little crime/mistake spiralling out of control, this one has two plots feeding off each other and getting bigger and better.

The casting and performances are all great including an aged Ted Danson.

Bloody hell!

A bit good is Fargoisn't it?

Pleasantly surprised by Kirsten Dunst's performance!

She's as gleefully psychotic as the bad guys!

Superb writing and the performances are faultless!
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

YakuzaFingerChop

I also just finished Fargo year 2 and loved it. Very different from the first but in every way just as good. The ending for me was perfect. Can't wait for the next season.

I'm stuck on what to watch next. Mr Robot or American Horror Story. I know bugger all about either but they are both on sale at the moment so that's my choices. I like science fiction and horror equally so I'm really asking what is better value.

Tony Angelino

I've loved both seasons of Fargo.

I think the ending to the penultimate episode of season 2 was maybe going a bit far but loved it overall.

Theblazeuk

Happy Valley series 1. Hebden Bridge is my dream town and the place we want to live as soon as possible. So it's been very interesting to see the Calder Valley in a slightly different light :) Gripping, well acted stuff; reminded me a little of Fargo in its set-up of a kidnapping orchestrated by a small, bitter man but much darker and harder.

Apestrife

Watched Twin Peaks s 1-2 in one weekend, the movie + extras on the Monday after.

Had a good time doing so.

Wasn't sure of the tone at first. Felt a bit uneven, but the mix of absurdity, campy fun and weird horror really grew on me.

Besides figuring out the meaning of things (what they mean to me, since that seems to be the intention of Lynch's story telling) I also enjoyed catching how influential the show has been.

Proudhuff

Blacklist series 3(?) now seriously bananas, but loving it
DDT did a job on me

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Apestrife on 27 September, 2016, 04:30:25 PM
Watched Twin Peaks s 1-2 in one weekend, the movie + extras on the Monday after.

Really tempted to do this before the new stuff comes out (that's still happening right?) but I worry if it'll hold up. That show meant so much to me as a kid.

PsychoGoatee

Quote from: Apestrife on 27 September, 2016, 04:30:25 PM

Wasn't sure of the tone at first. Felt a bit uneven, but the mix of absurdity, campy fun and weird horror really grew on me.

Besides figuring out the meaning of things (what they mean to me, since that seems to be the intention of Lynch's story telling) I also enjoyed catching how influential the show has been.

Glad you enjoyed it! I'm a big fan, been rewatching that recently too. Can't wait for the new Twin Peaks series hitting next year! Are you a Lynch fan in general? If you haven't seen them I highly recommend Blue Velvet and Lost Highway for starters.

I just started digging on Murder, She Wrote. That show is great, way better paced and more clever than a lot of other 80s whodunnit shows. Magnum P.I. is also more entertaining than expected.

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 27 September, 2016, 09:13:25 PM

Really tempted to do this before the new stuff comes out (that's still happening right?) but I worry if it'll hold up. That show meant so much to me as a kid.

Oh yeah it's happening, it's all been filmed already. They released a huge list of the entire cast too, majority of the original cast is back, plus Naomi Watts, Laura Dern, and others.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Apestrife on 27 September, 2016, 04:30:25 PMBesides figuring out the meaning of things (what they mean to me, since that seems to be the intention of Lynch's story telling) I also enjoyed catching how influential the show has been.

Lynch's episodes are the best but he only directed 6 of the 30 in both seasons and his often neglected co-creator Mark Frost wrote 18 (most of the good and important ones) while also doing a lot of the producing when Lynch was off for the majority of Season 2, only returning to direct the last episode. A small group of directors covered most of Season 2: Tim Hunter - who co-wrote an early Judge Dredd screenplay with James Crumley - directed the best of the rest, including the episode with [spoiler]Leland's death in the cell.[/spoiler]

Afterwards they parted ways. Mark Frost didn't work on Fire Walk With Me since he preferred a direct Season 2 sequel rather than a prequel/sequel mash-up but Lynch wanted to do the Laura Palmer story.

However, the new seasons will all be written by Frost and directed by Lynch.

Michael Knight

Confession! I've never seen Twin Peaks! Need to address this and see what the fuss all about.  :)