Main Menu

GOT season 4 - trailer, looks very yummy.

Started by Radbacker, 13 January, 2014, 12:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 13 September, 2016, 12:50:15 PM
Just finished Season 4 and started on Season 5 but couldn't find a detailed thread about it.

Well it's pretty good stuff this. Am genuinely amazed at how they happily kill off major cast members (whether well loved or a wee shite) with apparently joyful abandon.  You (almost) never know who is safe from one scene to the next. 
True - and you'll be pleased to hear that it continues right up to the most recent series.  (almost) nobody is safe.  There's one or two I can't imagine they're going to kill, but who really knows?

The whole Brenn and Hodor journey north is the only thing I don't like.  But I really dislike prophecy/"it was foretold" stuff in my fiction. Always strikes me as a lazy way of replacing proper character motivations.
Yeah - a much over-used trope in my opinion.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 13 September, 2016, 12:50:15 PMThe Nights Watch defending Castle Black against the Wildlings was a brilliant episode
I recall the numbers being really weird in that scene. Loads of the Watch being killed in every scene, to the point they should have been gone within about a minute. Otherwise, it was one of the highlights for me, too. It's been a great series, and basically the reason we still subscribe to the otherwise increasingly awful NOW TV.

radiator

A lot of people struggle with the Bran/North of the Wall stuff, but (without giving anything away) I think it's fair to say that that storyline, though brief, really shone in season 6 (and, imo, [spoiler]provided the standout, watercooler moment  of the entire season[/spoiler]).

Tiplodocus

And the Red Wedding in Season 3 was another wtf!

They seemed to be setting Rob up for a fall at Castelly Rock even to the extent of a couple of scenes of him planning the battle then one "Firm tits and a tight fit" insult later...
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tiplodocus

Blimey!

This post now a spoiler as per request:

[spoiler]
So just finished Season 5 and now desperate for Season 6 Blu-Ray to come out (or maybe I can digitally buy it).

It's good stuff again - though a bit too "rapey".

It finishes with another couple of shock deaths (Sansa, Theon, Jon Snow!) at least one of which, for once, I don't think IS permanent.

Despite avoiding detailed spoilers, the way that people talk about the character and the title of one of the episodes in Season 6 people have mentioned makes me think that Jon Snow is still alive.  Even though he's a pretty boy, they've set him up as a tough (he ends one Season with three arrows in him and is up fighting Wildilngs within an episode or two) or alternatively, we've seen resurrection performed before by followers of the Lord of Light ; Brotherhood without Banners chap who was killed by Sando Kleggane(sp?). And it just so happens that the evil Lord of Light witch is back at Castle Black).

Similarly, Sansa and Theon though seemingly jumping from a height, the fall from which just killed somebody,  were never actually shown as splatted so there is hope for them.

The Hardhome episode finally making good on the promise of the White Walkers and the army of the dead; the Baratheon story coming to a satisfactorybut tragic conclusion.

I didn't like it having two stories about fanatics (the Faith Militant and the Sons of the Harpy) running side by side but I could see the point they were getting at.

Tyrion's and Danaerys' stories are working out well. But the Unsullied are a bit shit when fighting the Sons of the Harpy, btw.  The best fighting force in the world regularly being taken down by what should be I assume are poorly trained, previously pampered,  guerrillas etc. (Or is this symbolic of how they only fight well when in slavery!)

Ayra in the house of Black and White is a bit dull; and I didn't like the way they tried to soften her revenge killing of the head of The Kings Guard by making him out to be a sadist and paedo first.  She's not a nice character so I'd have thought here hatred of him for betraying her dad and killing her tutor should have been motive enough.

They obviously couldn't find anything good to do with Jamie this season so sent him off on a wild goose chase to Dorn.

Oh and Cersei's walk of shame was nudity done right; essential to the plot and story and no hint of titillation/sexualisation. [/spoiler]

Or all of the above could be shite;  "You know nothing, Tiplodocus!"

sheridan

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 26 September, 2016, 08:28:12 AM
*pssst* this is a Season 4 thread, not Season 5!

Tiplodocus

Quote from: sheridan on 26 September, 2016, 12:39:58 PM

Oops - Sorry.  I couldn't find a Season 5 thread. Hopefully I haven't spoilt too much for anybody that hasn't seen it.

Mods, could you Spoiler out my whole last post please?

sheridan

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 26 September, 2016, 05:15:08 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 26 September, 2016, 12:39:58 PM

Oops - Sorry.  I couldn't find a Season 5 thread. Hopefully I haven't spoilt too much for anybody that hasn't seen it.

Mods, could you Spoiler out my whole last post please?
There is a season 5 thread - the most recent post of which is about casting in season 6 :-)

Tiplodocus

Doubtless. But you know what the search function on this site is like. I couldn't  find it.

sheridan

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 26 September, 2016, 09:28:33 PM
Doubtless. But you know what the search function on this site is like. I couldn't  find it.

Here you go (spoilers for everybody who hasn't seen series five - first post discusses the first episode).

Tiplodocus