Main Menu

Game of Thrones s. 6

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 27 April, 2016, 12:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

QuoteIn the show I think it might have been a bit of a 'not exactly sure where we're going compared to the books' moment, as seen with the Iron Born and the Dornish.

I'm not so sure. They made a clear point in the TV show of (book-related speculation stuff) [spoiler]having Melisandre personally meet Thoros and express astonishment at his resurrection abilities. That seems a hell of a lot like foreshadowing to me.[/spoiler]

To be fair to the TV show, there are certain events and plot points they have changed in previous seasons that initially I thought were really dumb things to change, but eventually paid off and made sense*, often entire seasons later, which proves they must have a long-term plan.

For example the way they changed the Brotherhood Without Banners (which I previously mentioned). It annoyed me at the time, but knowing what I know now about the way the TV show is going, I totally understand why the change was made.

I try to give the showrunners the benefit of the doubt because of this. Who knows? Maybe the whole Dorne thing will one day make sense?

COMMANDO FORCES

Another episode, another couple of enjoyable and funny deaths. I'm thinking that High Sparrow is Corbyn :lol:

Oh and the [spoiler]inevitable happened, which has taken it into the realm of DC and Marvel for me. If Snow survives to the end and is the King, then it'll feel like a cop out to me.[/spoiler]

Tjm86

I've got just one word for you ......

Lost.

CrazyFoxMachine

Anyone else think the pacing this series is atrocious?

It's like:

Setting 1
Set up > event
Setting 2
Set up > event
Setting 3
Set up > event
Setting 1
CLIFFHANGER

I honestly think they're floundering like mad without the books to guide them - it feels like it's all just wish-fulfillment and immediate action rather than long build-ups. Also - their desire to kill arbitrary characters just to keep up with their reputation has lead to some really bizarre moments because there's no one left to do things. [spoiler]Davos trying to bolster the Mellisandre's confidence so she can "save the day" after last series she caused the death of adorable Shireen and Stannis .... LIKE, WHAT?!?[/spoiler]

Satanist

I'm quite enjoying this series so far as it appears they are killing off the side characters so they can get on with the main stories end game next series.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

JamesC

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 02 May, 2016, 03:06:40 PM
Anyone else think the pacing this series is atrocious?

It's like:

Setting 1
Set up > event
Setting 2
Set up > event
Setting 3
Set up > event
Setting 1
CLIFFHANGER

I honestly think they're floundering like mad without the books to guide them - it feels like it's all just wish-fulfillment and immediate action rather than long build-ups. Also - their desire to kill arbitrary characters just to keep up with their reputation has lead to some really bizarre moments because there's no one left to do things. [spoiler]Davos trying to bolster the Mellisandre's confidence so she can "save the day" after last series she caused the death of adorable Shireen and Stannis .... LIKE, WHAT?!?[/spoiler]

Yeah, it's shit.  ::)

Theblazeuk

Well, at least the[spoiler] IronBorn [/spoiler]are back right? Everyone's favourite characters?

Link Prime

I was sorry to see [spoiler]Roose Bolton take a dirt-nap last night, I really enjoyed Michael McElhatton's performance[/spoiler].
Of course his fate was sealed as soon as [spoiler]Ramsay was legitimized[/spoiler].

Modern Panther

Although the fact that a [spoiler]legitimized[/spoiler] Ramsay could still have his [spoiler]position threatened by the birth of a legitimate brother[/spoiler] sort of brings into question why Ned never [spoiler]legitimized Jon[/spoiler].

My wild and soon to be discredited spoiler related theory...

[spoiler]Jon is the bastard son of Robert Baratheon, which will become clear in Bran's flashbacks this season.  This is the reason The Red Woman asked if he was a virgin - she wanted to know if there was a chance he had a kid.  It's also why Stanis asked if he would leave the Watch to join him, but didn't seem particularly annoyed when he stayed loyal to his vows.  The whole thing was foreshadowed by the Watch Maester, who was also heir to the throne[/spoiler]

radiator

Crazyfox - I think you're missing the point that that particular character wasn't present when that particular event happened...

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Loving it so far, but my only problem has been the cack-handed Dorne plot. It's indicative of how little a shit the producers gave when the opening credits conflate the city of Sunspear with huge geographical region of Dorne. Even Pyke has been distinguished from the rest of the Iron islands. Do any of the non book readers know that city is called Sunspear? Or what the landmark that gives that city its name looks like? Has there been a single exterior establishing shot? [spoiler]The Sandsnakes chastised Prince Doran for not knowing anything about Dorne and its people, for never leaving the palace, but apart from a couple of perfunctory scenes at a tent and a beach, the producers are guilty of the same.[/spoiler] Why should the viewers give a shit if the show makers don't?
You may quote me on that.

CrazyFoxMachine

Theblazeuk

To be fair I've read all the books and I don't give a shit about Dorn either, so I can't blame the TV show.

JayzusB.Christ

Well, I'm loving it.  Also, I see Bran Stark has learned a bit from Carl Grimes - Insta-Puberty! Just add a season break.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 03 May, 2016, 10:05:54 PM
To be fair I've read all the books and I don't give a shit about Dorn either, so I can't blame the TV show.

Well...yeah, me neither. I guess I'm just annoyed they didn't try to make me give a shit and (book spoilers)[spoiler]the plot on TV has passed the books and pretty much confirms that the Dorne story is a pointless digression. At best it just sets up a Martell V Lannister story, but literally every family in Westeros hates the Lannisters at this point. So what?[/spoiler] It all seems fairly redundant. Why bother?

Elsewise, Ramsey Bolton is a fucking glorius villain. Everything he does makes me hate him more. Goffrey was a cunt, but he was an idiot. Ramsey is vile because he is oh so calculating.

Alfie Allen is a spectacular actor. A great deal more talented than his hammy, mouthy Dad.

TV Spoilers: [spoiler]Brienne is up North with a Valyrian steel sword.[/spoiler] The Whitewalkers are fucked.
You may quote me on that.