Main Menu

The Incredible Hulk TV series

Started by Michael Knight, 11 May, 2016, 07:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theblazeuk

"Now look what ye've made me do!"

sheridan

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 11 May, 2016, 11:15:23 PM
When Marvel started producing comics in the UK, it felt like a bad dream when the weeklies changed format. And in the new Hulk comic the (other) green skinned behemoth went all TV Hulk on us.

Is that Moore Steve or Alan?

Albion

Quote from: sheridan on 04 September, 2016, 11:32:23 PM
Is that Moore Steve or Alan?

It's Steve Moore.
I have the collected book of the Marvel UK Hulk comics. It was the only Marvel comic I got as a kid.
You will recognise a few names in the credits.....

Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Albion

Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Prodigal2

Quote from: Tordelback on 12 May, 2016, 09:19:38 AM
Quote from: Mardroid on 12 May, 2016, 08:44:45 AM
As for the Hulk films,.I found the Ang Lee Hulk film rather pretentious. I liked the portrayal of the Hulk himself though. The way he moves is probably the closest to the comics we've ever had.

Yeah, the Hulk himself is a fantastic creation - his leaping about in the desert is hypnotic, great stuff.  As for the rest, pretentious twaddle covers it. Like most of Ang Lee's work, IMHO.

While the Incredible Hulk movie Hulk model is okay, and the Avengers Hulk rather better, both of those latter Banners are simply terrific: Ed Norton in a very true-to-the-comics way, Mark Ruffalo in a just plain awesome character way.

Sadly I never found the Bixby/Ferrigno series anything but disappointing and frequently depressing. The episode where Banner remembers his grandmother's death for half the running time sticks in my mind as the point my young self gave up on any hope of seeing Hulk fighting the Mole Man.

Can't you just hear Moore intoning: "But there we must leave Ed Edkins to brave the elements..."?

That Mole-man reference drew a genuine LOL.

Tony Angelino

The Marvel UK Hulk trade paperback features one of Brian Bolland's few Marvel covers. The original version is around online if you haven't seen it but the cover as published is a lot better in my opinion.   

Frank

http://www.clivejames.com/greenbeef

Unlike Bionic Woman or Six Million Dollar Man The Incredible Hulk (ITV) is not a rebuild but a true mutant. Bionic and Six used to be ordinary human beings but were transformed by engineering. Hulk remains an ordinary human being who can't help turning into an extraordinary one every time he gets angry. An 'overdose of gamma radiation' has altered 'his body chemistry' so that in vexing moments he becomes the physical expression of his own fury.

'The creature', it is explained, 'is driven by rage.' A combination of Clark Kent and Dr Jekyll, 'mild-mannered' David Banner falls first into a sweat, then into a trance, and finally into a metamorphosis. In the same time that it takes to wheel a small actor off and a large one on, a weedy schnurk like you and me is transmogrified into seven feet of green beef.

Hulk has the standard body-builder's physique, with two sets of shoulders one on top of the other and wings of lateral muscle that hold his arms out from his sides as if his armpits had piles. He is made remarkable by his avocado complexion, eyes like plover's eggs and the same permanently exposed lower teeth displayed by Richard Harris when he is acting determined, or indeed just acting.

Given a flying start by the shock effect of his personal appearance, Hulk goes into action against the heavies, flinging them about in slow motion. Like Bionic, Six and Wonderwoman, Hulk does his action numbers at glacial speed. Emitting slow roars of rage, Hulk runs very slowly towards the enemy, who slowly attempt to make their escape. But no matter how slowly they run, Hulk runs more slowly. Slowly he picks them up, gradually bangs their heads together, and with a supreme burst of lethargy throws them through the side of a building.

Hardly have the bricks floated to the ground before Hulk is changing back into spindly David, with a sad cello weeping on the sound-track. One thinks of Frankenstein's monster or the Hunchback of Notre Dame. One thinks of King Kong.

One thinks one is being had. Why can't the soft twit cut the soul-searching and just enjoy his ability to swell up and clobber the foe? But David is in quest of 'a way to control the raging spirit that dwells within him'. Since the series could hardly continue if he finds it, presumably he will be a long time on the trail.

If you took the violence out of American television there wouldn't be much left, and if you took the American television out of British television there wouldn't be much left of that either. Without imported series, our programme planners couldn't fill the schedules.

Whether schedules ought to be filled is another question. As things stand, American series have to be bought in. Nearly all of them are violent to some degree. But those who believe that violence on television causes violence in real life should take consolation from the fact that most of the violence in American series is on a par with the Incredible Hulk torpidly jumping up and down on the languorously writhing opponents of freedom and justice.

It's British programmes that show life's dark underside. In American programmes, however full of crashed cars and flying bodies, the values remain unswervingly wholesome. You can't imagine the Americans making a series like Out (Thames). I found myself wishing that the British hadn't made it either.

Having missed the early episodes, I was a bit behind the story when I finally tuned in, so perhaps the thread escaped me. Certainly the atmospherics deserved all the praise they got: Tom Bell and the other actors reeked of bad diet and even the air looked dirty. But the events seemed unlikely. The hit-man who blew up the hero's car was the only person on the scene after the explosion. Common sense told you that everyone in the district would have been on the scene and the hit-man would have been somewhere else.

Authenticity was reserved for the torture scenes. A grass had his kidneys knuckled by the hero's friend. This was all too believable. Lest we miss any of it, the camera moved in tight on the victim's face. One of my reasons for not joining panels or accepting invitations to give lectures is that I simply don't know whether television ought to show things as they are or as they ought to be. Moreover I don't trust anybody who thinks he does know.

On the whole it is probably wiser to show that hitting somebody really hurts him, instead of just making him drift lazily though the air. But there were times during the latest Z-Cars (BBC1) when watching, say, Cannon seemed very preferable. As some foul-spoken dockside stripper cowered at the prospect of having a steel comb shoved up her nose, it was impossible not to yearn for the magic land in which Cannon – the original and still the most incredible of all hulks – struggles from his car, plods after the fleeing thugs, and fells them with karate chops from his marshmallow hands.

Jane Fonda (BBC1) inhabits the same country. She is, in fact, a radicalised version of Wonderwoman. Having brought the war in Vietnam to an end, she is justifiably still awestricken at the change in her personality which made it all possible. It goes without saying – or rather it goes with a lot of saying – that the details of how she changed from a sex object into a political demiurge are of prime concern to the world.

I believe most of what Jane Fonda believes. In fact I believed most of it before she did. But after you have heard a few of your own liberal opinions coming out of Jane's mouth you start wondering whether the John Birch Society is so bad after all. Like Vanessa Redgrave, Jane seems to think that the state of her own ego is of fundamental importance to the history of the human race. Truly their collaboration in the film Julia was a conjunction of the mind and opposition of the stars.

'People were asking: "Where is Barbarella?"' piped Jane. Actually nobody was asking that. Nobody gave a stuff about Barbarella. But conceit must be forgiven in any woman married to a man like Tom Hayden. 'She has an intensity like no one you'll ever see,' he informed us, referring sternly to 'the agony of a life-change', while neglecting to examine the question of whether her earlier incarnation – the one that married Vadim and made idiotic movies like Barbarella – did so from choice.

The tacit assumption seemed to be that everyone was like that then: the whole culture was to blame. 'I think that she's changed in the sense that she's evolved.' Jane was ready to go along with that. 'I ... I ... me ... I felt unworthy ... very much a part of my whole being.' There is a lot to admire in Jane Fonda, but people so keen to tell you how they've changed never really change.

3 September, 1978