Main Menu

Anyone remember 'Bravestarr' - ther sci-fi western 1980'S cartoon?

Started by Michael Knight, 09 June, 2016, 01:40:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

By-Jove

Always craved a decent scifi-western not anything like Firefly & Defiance. As half baked as they are and the old School Battle Star Galactica almost went there in one episode. As for Scum and Villiany, I see your reference and wonder if Star Wars was made before Balzing Saddles. Now, I'm thinking of Space Balls.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Battle Beyond the Stars.

Now, lock this thread. There is no more to be said.
Lock up your spoons!

Definitely Not Mister Pops

STRENGTH OF THE BEAR!

SPEED OF THE PUMA!

EYES OF THE HAWK!

As much as I fucking loved this show as a kid, I definitely couldn't describe a single episode. My Dad made me a wooden model of Fort Kerium and painted a load of Cowboy figurines up Bravestarr style. Best Christmas ever.
You may quote me on that.

JOE SOAP

As previously noted BraveStarr had a space-western precursor in The Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers - featuring robotic horses (sans blunderbuss and coolness) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3Vtjd8ZUBQ&t=8m45s

BraveStarr also had the Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me treatment by releasing a feature film prequel after the series ended - BraveStarr - The Legend

The Monarch

sheridan

Quote from: JamesC on 09 June, 2016, 02:32:19 PM
Other than those, the best cartoons were Thundercats and Dungeons & Dragons (I still can't go on a rollercoaster without thinking about that cartoon).
Pretty sure there was a Dungeons & Dragons RPG module based on the cartoon, which was based on the RPG :-)

sheridan

Quote from: Professor Bear on 09 June, 2016, 02:21:18 PM
Another vote for 30/30 - more western heroes should have a laser blunderbuss-wielding talking horse as their partner. 
Not having ever seen it, but how does a horse (talking or not) hold a blunderbuss?

The artbooks for the shows from that era are pretty great if you can get your hands on one - Masters of the Universe just had a coffee table hardback out that features some amazing work, as well as some pretty funny script annotations from the toy company to the makers of the MOTU live-action film that at some point stopped being thoughts on the optics and became someone with a red pen writing "NO" over the top of descriptions of rape threats and panthers being fed the decapitated heads of characters from the cartoon.
Interesting fact about the Masters of the Universe film that did get made - the car park of the place that the female protagonist works in was the place that Rodney King was later beaten up by police, starting the Los Angeles riots.

By-Jove

Quote from: Sheridan
Interesting fact about the Masters of the Universe film that did get made - the car park of the place that the female protagonist works in was the place that Rodney King was later beaten up by police, starting the Los Angeles riots.

That probably explains why. They were all fans of the original He-Man cartoon & upset about that film. It's also well known among fans of origin line of MOTU action figures that only one that looked like it belonged to our own dark continent was the Cosmic Enforcer. I guess Eternia was his stomping grounds, his beat. I'm really tempted to check up on the Rodney King beating. Thought it happened on the freeway myself, but who knows if that place was knocked down and built a road over it.

Grugz

don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

Michael Knight

Personally I love the 'Masters of the Universe' film! Have an original Movie poster the Drew Struzan one framed on my wall.
I'm a big fan of all things He-man, Bravestarr, Ulysses 31 et al.
The movie wasn't perfect but Frank Langella was superb as Skelator, and some of the design work and the musical score was amazing.
A typical Cannon movie. Pure escapist fun!
It actually has aged pretty well in comparison to a lot of sci-fi/fantasy flicks from that time. The effects especially.
Interesting fact that hot babe playing 'Teela' is the wife of Scott Bakula (quantum leap's Sam Beckett, star trek enterprise's Captain archer).
Also the lady playing Courtney Cox's mum is the mother of the current Captain Kirk - Chris Pine!

Dandontdare

Quote from: sheridan on 11 September, 2016, 06:08:01 AM
the female protagonist works in was the place that Rodney King was later beaten up by police, starting the Los Angeles riots.

Quote from: Michael Knight on 12 September, 2016, 03:10:30 AM
Interesting fact that hot babe playing 'Teela' is the wife of Scott Bakula (quantum leap's Sam Beckett, star trek enterprise's Captain archer).
Also the lady playing Courtney Cox's mum is the mother of the current Captain Kirk - Chris Pine!

Some top class trivia nerdery there folks, keep it up!

edgeworthy

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 09 September, 2016, 09:49:11 PM
Re imagining Bravestarr? Tough one since it's mostly superheroes now a days but a bad ass Lawman in a Sci Fi future there's a lot of mileage in that. ;) Maybe he's the only honest Native American Sheriff in a Redneck town on some lousy backwater planet filled with scum, villainy and Corporate raiders keen to exploit the planets resources just to make a buck and dah, dah, dah. Trouble is Blazing Saddles got there first didn't it?

And not forgetting the love-hungry Red-Headed Judge?

Michael Knight

she was a hottie. In the Bravestarr movie they a love thing! lol not even joking