Main Menu

Stranger Things

Started by Steve Green, 09 August, 2016, 12:41:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

QuoteOr how could he communicate through electricity? I suppose this is part of the promise of Season 2, or not.

Hmmm, yes. My hope for season 2 is that they can elaborate on this stuff and can start to build out the workings of the upside down a bit. Perhaps we will even meet more diverse, perhaps even intelligent, life that exists there?

Above all, I think what allowed me to overlook a lot of the flaws was that its heart was in the right place. I cared about the characters and enjoyed spending time with them, and that goes a long way.

radiator

I was a bit put out to see the Under The Skin thing though. It's a very derivative series by design, but for some reason that stands out as plagiarism rather than homage.

Tiplodocus

I quite enjoyed it but wasn't blown away like a lot of people seem to have been. 

But whenever I see child actors of that quality, I can't help but wonder how Jake Lloyd ended up in The Phantom Menace.  (Having said that, Neeson and McGregor don't act much better in that...)
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

ryubyss

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 13 September, 2016, 12:45:37 AMIt's more the undercutting of the scene with the boys reacting to [spoiler]finding the body[/spoiler]. It meant less because in some fashion we know he is still alive; leaving the electrical interference till [spoiler]after the body was found[/spoiler] still would've allowed for the possibility for Will [spoiler]to be in a spirit form[/spoiler] - if that was the way the story was to go.

we don't disagree! I meant to say that I agree with you on that score. and I think that the series went on a bit too long. or maybe could have used shorter episodes.

anyway, I would give it four out of five stars or 80% or something like that. granted, I dote on the '80's imagery but I just plain liked it.

ryubyss

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 13 September, 2016, 12:31:37 PMBut whenever I see child actors of that quality, I can't help but wonder how Jake Lloyd ended up in The Phantom Menace.  (Having said that, Neeson and McGregor don't act much better in that...)

I have heard a film director say that whenever you see a bad performance in the films to blame the director, because a good director can get good acting from anybody. I consider the prequel trilogy underrated, actually. more the second and third ones than the first. 

Buttonman

Finished it tonight and ended up really liking it. Spot the homage was fun but some great characters, sets and performances made it a real joy. Plot holes? maybe but great action, tension and the occasional laugh - great entertainment!

PsychoGoatee

I rocked through this show recently too, terrific stuff! Pulled me right in from the first episode, something about it, it really hit me with the nostalgia and remembering my childhood etc. And the yarn it spun was quite pleasing to me, thumbs up.

M.I.K.

Talking of nostalgia, I edited this together for my own amusement and thought I may as well share it on here because I know a lot of you are of the right age to recognise this theme tune...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDpbU8dJmWk