Main Menu

Ghost in the Shell (2017)

Started by Goaty, 22 September, 2016, 10:19:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 23 September, 2016, 05:36:17 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 23 September, 2016, 10:09:31 AM
I thought I knew nerdity.  I knew nothing until I came to this thread.

I thought I knew insanity, then I read your post.  :P

(This topic is pretty normal, much more elaborate/niche/"nerdy" things have been discussed over the years.)

But not ones where I personally had no idea whatsoever what the hell everyone was talking about!

Exhibit A: 
QuoteAlso wasn't it established in the manga Mokoto was originally a western woman before becoming a cyborg (and later a full robot) and suffering a degree of amnesia and most importantly Mokoto wasn't her given name?

Exhibit B:

QuoteI forget if it was Stand Alone Complex, but there was one with a flashback of her as a child, and her getting her first robot body after the incident. She was originally a Japanese kid in the anime timeline, as far as I know.

NERRRRDS!

Frank

Quote from: M.I.K. on 23 September, 2016, 03:15:44 AM
there's a distinct lack of East-Asian folk in mainstream films in the West ... none on British telly neither

Iain Duncan Smith was hardly off the telly all Summer; Myleene Klass too. I now feel strongly that we need to keep people of East Asian origin off British telly.

PsychoGoatee

Quote from: TordelBack on 23 September, 2016, 06:28:01 PM
Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 23 September, 2016, 05:36:17 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 23 September, 2016, 10:09:31 AM
I thought I knew nerdity.  I knew nothing until I came to this thread.

I thought I knew insanity, then I read your post.  :P

(This topic is pretty normal, much more elaborate/niche/"nerdy" things have been discussed over the years.)

But not ones where I personally had no idea whatsoever what the hell everyone was talking about!

Exhibit A: 
QuoteAlso wasn't it established in the manga Mokoto was originally a western woman before becoming a cyborg (and later a full robot) and suffering a degree of amnesia and most importantly Mokoto wasn't her given name?

Exhibit B:

QuoteI forget if it was Stand Alone Complex, but there was one with a flashback of her as a child, and her getting her first robot body after the incident. She was originally a Japanese kid in the anime timeline, as far as I know.

NERRRRDS!

I can respect that, but I feel like Pat Mills has written much weirder and more confounding (in a good way) stuff than that. Girl gets a cyber body after a plane crash, that's a straightforward sci-fi origin. I guess the other one is a little more vague, she has several origins now. Maybe I'm just used to it all.  :D

Hawkmumbler

I think Tordels is just playing with us, he just has no interest in joining an otaku cult of GITS fans.  :lol:

PsychoGoatee

Our katana steel cannot be beaten!  :D

SIP

Arise is the official prequel to Stand alone complex, which in turn is related to the original animated movie. This being the case, does she actually have more than one origin story in the animations?

PsychoGoatee

Quote from: SIP on 23 September, 2016, 07:50:26 PM
Arise is the official prequel to Stand alone complex, which in turn is related to the original animated movie. This being the case, does she actually have more than one origin story in the animations?

It seems that they conflict (from what I've heard about Arise's origin), and as far as I know Arise is a "re-imagining". Also I don't think GiTS: SaC and the movies are in the same timeline either. And they're all different from the original manga too.

Zanti Misfit

"I now feel strongly that we need to keep people of East Asian origin off British telly."

I don't wish to derail this thread with petty concerns about wording, but whatever happened to the term 'Oriental' to describe people from the Far East?  When did the use of 'Oriental' become unfashionable, impolite or politically incorrect?  Worst of all, why are we copying the Americans by using the word 'Asian', when in the UK, Asian refers to people from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, etc? This confuses the hell out of me, and if my Japanese wife is cool with being described as Oriental, I don't see how it can be offensive to anyone else.   East Asian or Asian-American are such clumsy, unwieldy terms.

PsychoGoatee

If it helps, I am American, so that might be why I'd use an American expression I guess. We're all just trying to communicate out here on the web. 

I watched Murder On The Orient Express recently, anyway. :D (takes place in Istanbul)

Speaking of Ghost in the Shell, that's originally titled Kōkaku Kidōtai, literally "Mobile Armored Riot Police". The original title isn't quite as evocative/introspective.

Frank

Quote from: Zanti Misfit on 25 September, 2016, 09:06:15 AM
whatever happened to the term 'Oriental' to describe people from the Far East?

The problem would be that it never referred exclusively to 'the Far East'. It was a catch-all term for everything East of Athens; so vague it was meaningless.

I don't think Prof Bear's complaining Scarlett Johannson doesn't look like she has Saudi or Tibetan heritage.

I agree that currently preferred terms are no more useful. US citizens find it baffling that UK reports on Rotherham, for example, refer to the culprits as Asian, a term they use to mean the same thing as your definition of Oriental.

TordelBack

Quote from: Zanti Misfit on 25 September, 2016, 09:06:15 AM... whatever happened to the term 'Oriental' to describe people from the Far East?

Aside: When the Oriental Adventures supplement came out for AD&D in the late 80s, our habitual GM took umbrage, observing that core AD&D could never plausibly be called Occidental. He set about remedying this by creating an excellent medieval European setting that would be worthy of the term, and many happy hours were wasted by all.

Point being, oriental only has any meaning if we group and describe the rest of the world's races as Occidental, Boreal and, errr Australial, which of course we don't.

Quote from: TordelBack on 23 September, 2016, 06:28:01 PM
NERRRRDS!

I'm with Alannis on this one.

M.I.K.

Quote from: Frank on 25 September, 2016, 10:47:45 AM
Quote from: Zanti Misfit on 25 September, 2016, 09:06:15 AM
whatever happened to the term 'Oriental' to describe people from the Far East?

The problem would be that it never referred exclusively to 'the Far East'. It was a catch-all term for everything East of Athens; so vague it was meaningless.

Yup. The Orient Express only ever went as far as Istanbul. East Asian is actually more specific.

M.I.K.

(and I somehow didn't notice PsychoGoatee's post before I said that)

YakuzaFingerChop

I've never seen the t.v series. I did see some of the Stand Alone Complex movie at a mates house, but since I missed the start and had no idea who the characters were I couldn't really follow it.

I also remember playing the video game on the Playstation in the 90s. From what I recall you were a robot crab thing running around shooting things and such...it was a while ago now.

But despite not being a fan, seeing Takeshi Kitano in the trailer has sold me on this movie. As for the white girl/asian girl debate, who cares?

Spaceghost

They were never going to cast an East Asian actor as the lead because there are no East Asian actors with the requisite "star power" to sell a big budget science fiction film like this.

This is, of course, because East Asian actors are cast in films so rarely that they never get a chance to become very big stars in the first place.

Vicious circle innit?
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...