Main Menu

Links to film reviews and reaction posts

Started by a chosen rider, 12 July, 2012, 11:37:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danbo

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

Alski

"Cool Stuff You Will Like"

Music, Comics, Books, Video Games, TV and Film reviews/articles.

http://cool-stuff-you-will-like.blogspot.co.uk/

MR. ELIMINATOR

Quote from: CraveNoir on 12 July, 2012, 01:37:10 PM

Think that guy missed the point a little. Big ideas? This is a high octane, ultra violent action movie! You shouldn't be looking for 'big ideas' in this type of film. Big explosions and big guns, yes.

Michaelvk

You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

Steve Green

I seem to recall the makers pitching it as being more than that though - Blade Runner meets a Clockwork Orange, sure there was something that Anthony Dod Mantle mentioned about it which made it sound a bit deeper than the 'high octane slay ride' shorthand.

radiator

The Blade Runner/Clockwork Orange comparison was in purely visual terms, not in terms of story depth. And is Blade Runner a particularly clever film anyway? I always just thought it was a bit pompous and arty but ultimately quite shallow.

As for having a subtext, I'm hoping Dredd will have a similar level to something like District 9, it's there, and provides a little meat on the bones, but it's hardly a deep or particularly insightful treatise on the human condition.

As for exploring the rights and wrongs of the society Dredd presents - that seems to be what we'll get in the proposed sequel.

Steve Green

I just think dismissing any criticism is short-sighted, I know people are excited - I am too, but  waving away any criticism, however minor with a 'what do they know', it's not like the pool of pot-shot shittily thought out comments that comprise a lot of internet message board posts.

If someone's gone to the effort of writing up a full review, then they might just have valid points.

Just saying.

Michaelvk

Quote from: Steve Green on 12 July, 2012, 02:31:33 PM
I just think dismissing any criticism is short-sighted, I know people are excited - I am too, but  waving away any criticism, however minor with a 'what do they know', it's not like the pool of pot-shot shittily thought out comments that comprise a lot of internet message board posts.

If someone's gone to the effort of writing up a full review, then they might just have valid points.

Just saying.

Very true, but on the other hand it's almost (not quite) like looking for a deeper meaning and depth to the likes of Transformers or Battleship, or even Paris Hilton, and then being surprised that there's not really all that much there by failing to see the film for what it is. We are, however, all fanboys here, so does it really surprise you? ;)
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..