Main Menu

IDW sale

Started by sheridan, 17 July, 2015, 01:04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Musings of a Mild-Mannered Man has a few words about some of IDW's 2000AD-related output, including favourable things about the 30-issue series which finished earlier this year.  (also there's a sale on all the IDW Dredd stuff).

Keef Monkey

Those are great prices, so pretty tempted to grab the Dredd collections on Comixology. I didn't enjoy the first few IDW issues so packed it in though so not sure if I want to drop the cash on the off-chance it got better.

The Anderson mini-series was good and so was Year One and it feels a bit mad that there are Dredd comics out there I'm not buying! They're in my basket, just a bit torn about hitting the confirm button.

W. R. Logan

I'm up to Issue 22 and they're not bad Dredd comics, they're just bad full stop.

Keef Monkey

I've just finished Volume 4 of the collected editions and I can't argue with that. I'm not familiar with the writer but it feels a bit of a mess of half-formed ideas. Half the time I can't figure out what's going on and the other half I just don't care. It just doesn't feel or read like Dredd at all, but I figured I could be fine with that seeing as it's another take on it - but as Logan says, they're just no good regardless.

The only way the US Dredd reboot thing makes sense to me is if it was to keep it more in line tonally and stylistically with the movie, so that people who were jumping on-board after taking an interest in the film were getting the Dredd they expected and wanted. That's something the movie sequel comics totally nailed, but this is nothing like the 2000AD comics or the movie so it's existence is just a bit confusing I guess.

Just my opinion of course, and maybe I'm being too harsh because I love Dredd done right so much - I got all the collections in a bundle so I'll be reading the rest to see where it goes, but really not feeling it. Just doesn't feel like a good introduction to the character or the universe when 2000AD is absolutely knocking it out the park these days.

COMMANDO FORCES

You lot and your high standards :lol:

locustsofdeath!

I...really can't believe the title made it to issue 30. Is IDW still producing Dredd comics of any kind?

Magnetica

I have bought all the 2000AD and Dredd related new IDW material.

Having said that, I haven't actually got round to reading any of it for about 6 months or more... :lol:

Fungus

Issue 30, especially in this day and age, is astounding. Read in trade and issue format, out of loyalty. It was brain-crunchingly awful. A vanity comic?
(Best comic of recent times, Hawkeye, limped to 22 issues  :o )

I found the IDW mini-series OK, nothing approaching 2000AD quality. City Of Courts was very dull and self-indulgent but others seemed to like it.

Have to mention Rogue Trooper. A great ongoing series. Naturally they canned that one early on.

Hawkmumbler

Ah, Rogue Trooper WAS great. Sadly they canned it.

Keef Monkey

Absolutely, Rogue Trooper was great. Really, really enjoyed it and it had the same spirit and style that makes 2000AD Rogue Trooper great. Anderson was pretty good and I very much liked Year One, so it's confusing that they got such short runs while the main Dredd line misses the mark so hard.

I guess people are buying it, and hopefully it has the knock-on effect of spreading the good name of 2000AD further in the states so has some value. It's just a bit of a shame that any Dredd-curious US readers looking to dip their toe in will most likely get entirely the wrong impression.

CrazyFoxMachine

...still looking to find that Rogue Trooper run!

Link Prime

BPP

Think your being a bit kind to the Rogue Trooper comic. The story was promising, the art pretty average to raw. Certainly the recent 2000ad outings were better. Obviously the quality of it had nothing to do with its cancellation tho.

Am amazed IDW didn't try a different creative team on the main comic.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

dweezil2

Quote from: BPP on 29 July, 2015, 07:09:48 PM
Think your being a bit kind to the Rogue Trooper comic. The story was promising, the art pretty average to raw. Certainly the recent 2000ad outings were better. Obviously the quality of it had nothing to do with its cancellation tho.

Am amazed IDW didn't try a different creative team on the main comic.

I don't know, I really enjoyed IDW's Rogue Trooper series and I thought it stood as an excellent introduction to the character, with some lovely Colin Wilson-esque art!
I was certainly disappointed when it was axed.

Word on the street was Jimmy Palmiotti pitched an idea to write a Dredd series-who knows whether it would of turned out any better though!!!!
I'd still like to see Garth Ennis take another crack at a U.S series.

Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

W. R. Logan

All 30 issues of IDW's Dredd series finished and I'm amazed it lasted 30 issues.
I could list the things I didn't like, multiple covers for a start.
I thought 5 covers for xmen 1 in 1991 was excessive but 25 covers for Dredd 1 was just taking the piss.
I could live with the art but the stories were not even coherent and I can't work out what the editor did.
Now on to the other Dredd world IDW comics and fingers crossed they put a spark in the thrill circuits.