Main Menu

Star Wars Episode 7 and Disney buy Lucas Film

Started by willthemightyW, 30 October, 2012, 08:32:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

I wasn't aware of any of that but just googled 'Star Wars feminist' to see what the fuss is about and Jesus fucking Christ!  :o I watched a video review rant by some curly haired twat that made me want to punch him through my monitor

Professor Bear

There is possibly a case to be made that sci-fi audiences just aren't quite as diverse as we'd like to believe, and that a paradigm shift in attitudes to support female-led sci-fi/action movies hasn't happened yet - I just don't think Star Wars fandom on the internet should be making it.

Dandontdare

The nerd/geek community used to always accept that their lack of sexual attention was part of the natural order of the universe*, but since 'the geeks became cool' (c.f. a million media articles in the last 20 years), there are a lot of socaially inadequate child-men who assume it must be some kind of conspiracy that the babes don't like them.

* this was never actually true (except in my case), as can be seen by the number of 2000ad freaks here who are happily hooked up (even to burlesque dancers FFS)

JamesC

Quote from: Dandontdare on 05 May, 2016, 09:09:39 PM
The nerd/geek community used to always accept that their lack of sexual attention was part of the natural order of the universe*, but since 'the geeks became cool' (c.f. a million media articles in the last 20 years), there are a lot of socaially inadequate child-men who assume it must be some kind of conspiracy that the babes don't like them.

* this was never actually true (except in my case), as can be seen by the number of 2000ad freaks here who are happily hooked up (even to burlesque dancers FFS)

I'm not really a fan of this geek community identification anyway. I don't like it when media is marketed towards a geek/nerd demographic (like those awful geek-box things full of tat).
Star Wars is for everyone. My dad really liked the new Star Wars film and he's certainly not a nerd.
The best stuff is popular across a wider audience anyway, by virtue of its quality. That's why everyone watches Game of Thrones and it isn't seen as a 'geek show' just because it has swords and magic in it.
It's also the reason why 2000ad gradually gained an older readership in the early 80s as people started to recognise the quality of the stories.

Tiplodocus

I saw something about them casting the new, young Han Solo.

It's a bloke.

So the wankers can't complain about that at least.

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 06 May, 2016, 12:36:59 PM
I saw something about them casting the new, young Han Solo.

I'd kind of been hoping it would be revealed out that Han was post-transition and his younger identity was actually Hannah Solo.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

sheridan

Quote from: JamesC on 06 May, 2016, 06:55:42 AM
It's also the reason why 2000ad gradually gained an older readership in the early 80s as people started to recognise the quality of the stories.
Pretty sure that the reason 2000AD gradually gained an older readership is because that's when we started leaving childhood and entering adulthood.  The quality of the stories would have been why people didn't stop reading, as they would have with other comics (though plenty of other quality comics - small 'q' - from the eighties died anyway).

JamesC

Possibly, but from personal experience I know that Dad's were definitely reading 2000ad weekly after (or sometimes before) the kids had finished with it.

TordelBack

I don't think actual genre-loving geeks (as a set) have anything to do with the Internet's war on women: I think it's just pricks, and you get those everywhere.

Some of those pricks are geeks, unfortunately, and boy are geeks vocal. And SW geeks most vocal of all. But a mental survey of the nerds, geeks, dweebs and wastoids that I personally know leads me to the conclusion that sexist prickhood is underrepresented in that group. Just because we were loud and smelly undateables as young teens didn't mean we had a problem with women - and we certainly didn't stay that way.

GordonR

Quote from: Tordelback on 06 May, 2016, 01:14:58 PM
I don't think actual genre-loving geeks (as a set) have anything to do with the Internet's war on women: I think it's just pricks, and you get those everywhere.

I'd easily characterise anyone who cares much about the Hugo awards - and, outside of the film and TV stuff, I've never heard of any of the written word nominees these days - as SF uber-nerds, and just look at the Sad Puppy and Rabid Puppy factions there, with their racist, misogynist, homophobic/anti-SJW [choose to suit personal tastes] agendas.

They may be pricks, but it's extremely hard to argue they're not genre fans first and foremost.

Professor Bear

Aren't the booky Hugos a Special Case, though?  I can't recall the entirety of the dramas over the years, but one of the more recent ones was when it became apparent that the reason some may not have heard of most of the nominees is because writers get their fans to organise and stuff the ballots.  One blogger I used to read regularly found herself in the position of not having read a single nominated book but didn't want to read any of the shortlist because the writers were such unpleasant arseholes online.

Bat King

I can't even begin on the ridiculousness of complaints about Rey...

No one complained about Luke and she's not got more skills than him...
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

soggy

Quote from: Bat King on 06 May, 2016, 08:46:30 PM
I can't even begin on the ridiculousness of complaints about Rey...

No one complained about Luke and she's not got more skills than him...

Really how many hands has she lost?

Still ridiculous though.

Colin YNWA

Well I'm about to got in again with the kids... wish me luck...

The Legendary Shark

In my experience, there's no such thing as luck...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]