Main Menu

DOES ANY ARTIST FANCY DRAWING MY STORY?

Started by GRIMM, 05 May, 2016, 05:34:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GRIMM

If any artist is interested in turning "A TALE OF TWO CITIES!" into a comic strip, I will plot it out, page by page, panel by panel. Once you have drawn it, I give it to you completely to do whatever you want with and to post anywhere you like! All I would ask for are scans of the finished pages, for a keepsake.
Give my story notes a read and if you fancy it, let me know.
Thanks,
GRIMM.

pauljholden

Hi Grimm,

No reflection on the quality of the story (I haven't read it I'm afraid), but I don't think you'll get any response and here's why:

You need a short synopsis of the story (one paragraph, giving plot and anything unique or unusual) to give an artist a feel for what the story is about. Maybe they'd be interested or maybe they won't, but without that they have no idea how they'd feel about it.

You need to let them know how long the story is, in terms of pages. It's alright to say "we'll collaborate" but you need to start that process by stating, for example, this is 10 pages long.

That said, before you've had any thing published in any venue, I'd suggest to try and keep stories short. You'll catch far more interest in a thing that's 2/3 pages than something that's intended to be 300 pages long. And unpaid artists can be flakey, they may well feel up to 300 pages, but five pages in and real life gets in the way and you may never see page six. Shorter is better, more practical, managable and you'll learn JUST AS MUCH in completing a short story as you will in a long story.

There's also plenty of more established venues for artists, so you're going to need to treat this a little more targeted than simply chucking some chum in the water and waiting for the fish to feed.

Find a venue for publication, get something printed or accepted then look for an artist for it.

Otherwise, good luck.

-pj

GRIMM

Thanks for the reply and the advice, PJ. I know nothing about this game, I'll try and estimate a page count.

The Legendary Shark

Grimm, you really need to write the script first. No artist is going to be interested in an "estimated" page count.

And listen to P.J. - he knows what he's talking about.

Before you try to get this one illustrated you really need to practice on shorter scripts. Becoming a comic writer takes a long time and a lot of work.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

GRIMM

Thanks Sharky, I get what you're both saying. No worries. Firstly, I have no desire to be a script writer. This was just a one-off, an idea that I had almost forgotten about, until recently. So I hastily wrote it down before I forgot about it and just in case anyone else liked it too, I spread it about. I think that "telling my tale" though is about as far as I can take it now. Which is fine.
If I were younger and ambitious, then perhaps I would take it further. But, no harm done.
I do hope you don't feel you have wasted your time in the advice you have given me. It is still appreciated and invaluable information to any would-be script writers reading.
Cheers,
GRIMM.