Main Menu

Tony Luke.

Started by Pete Wells, 17 February, 2016, 11:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Wells

Sadly, it seems Tony Luke, lost his battle against cancer today. Tony's imaginative and totally original style on stories such as Anderson and Nemesis divided the readership, much like the work of the sadly missed John Hicklenton. Tony's brother informed his Facebook followers with this message:

"It is with the heaviest heart imaginable that I have to announce that my dearest and kindest brother ever slipped away this afternoon.
He had a very peaceful end despite the dreadful cancer pain he had been in.
He fought this hideous disease for so many years but his body couldn't take it anymore once the mesothelioma had struck his bone marrow and bones. He even managed to fight sepsis last week!
Apologies that you are hearing this via social media, but we do not have all your contact details to tell you personally.
Heartfelt thanks from all my family for your kind words of support over the years. It has meant so much to us and Tony gained much strength from your messages.
We are missing him terribly already. Love to you all xxxx
Here are some words he wrote a couple of months ago:
"Be yourself. Be creative. Be good to each other. Do wild and amazing things. And never, ever compromise yourself, your dreams or your life for someone or something else. Fight for what is Yours By Right. Time is just too precious for anything else."

His art wasn't for everyone but that's the joy of 2000AD innit?  A sad day indeed.

flip-r mk2

Really saddened to hear this news.

filippo
It's all right, that's in every contract.
That's what they call a sanity clause.
You can't fool me, there ain't no sanity clause.

http://flip-r.deviantart.com/

http://forflipssake.blogspot.com

http://weeklythemedartblog.blogspot.com/

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana

sheridan

I'll just repost what I put on facebook...
"I first knew you through your work in 2000AD and saw your name in books on Goth. Later, on social media, I saw your name pop up on as friends of a few of my friends. I never got to meet you in person. Now I never will."
Not much, but what can you say - it's been so heart-wrenching seeing Tony's struggles, with the occasional glimmer of hope.

TordelBack

Complete madness though it was, I have a huge soft-spot for his Nemesis photo-story, which seemed to catch a particular moment of my young geekhood perfectly.  Of all the strips to even attempt as fumetti!  Not exactly the same level of challenge as 'Joe Soap' or 'Thunderbolt and Smokey'...

Tragic news to read first thing in the morning, my sympathies to his family, friends and colleagues.

Link Prime

Very sad to hear this.
A talented creator, RIP Tony.

Link Prime

I think I posted this on the original art thread before, but here's the one piece of Tony Luke artwork I own, and in my opinion the best page he produced for the House of Tharg.

From Anderson PSI: Postcards from the Edge.

Bolt-01

I actually worked in a comic shop with Tony for a while in the late '80's. He was always happy to chat, and knew his stuff. Really shocked to hear this- never knew he was ill.

sheridan

Why do I not remember Nem appearing in an Anderson story?

Heath C Ackley

"Give a man a mask and he will give you the truth."

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Link Prime on 18 February, 2016, 10:21:19 AM
I think I posted this on the original art thread before, but here's the one piece of Tony Luke artwork I own, and in my opinion the best page he produced for the House of Tharg.

From Anderson PSI: Postcards from the Edge.

I always loved his work in that story.  That and the previous page were amazing.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"