Main Menu

Bring back Ian Gibson on Dredd!

Started by Jacqusie, 27 January, 2015, 11:51:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Would love to see Gibson back working on Dredd with Wagner.
Couldn't really care less about the previous issues.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 02 February, 2015, 01:21:06 AM
I think the convention organisers said it was Halo, Ian never did, from what I read, as the events unfolded.
Pretty much how I read it. I never thougt it looked particularly like Halo to begin with. And whats the issue with exposed mamaries or is everyone just too British all of a sudden?

And yes, another plea for Mr.Gibsons return. A phenomenal talent.

Richmond Clements

Quote"I just called it 'topless Halo' as otherwise it was just a nameless pinup," he said.

Gibson said this. GIBSON. I really don't see how people are having a hard time accepting that it was him and not the convention organisers.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 03 February, 2015, 10:27:06 AM
And whats the issue with exposed mamaries or is everyone just too British all of a sudden?

Let's not have this argument again, eh? Short version: even if you don't mind looking at ladies in various states of undress, it's possible to think it utterly inappropriate to transform one of the medium's few strong, independent, believable female lead characters into a subject of titillation, regardless of whether it was for charity or not.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Link Prime

Fair enough points, Richmond & Jim.

Regardless, I don't think any of us would like to see a living legend 'black listed' over this or any other (what most would consider) triviality.

If he's eager to work on Dredd again, and Tharg would wish to have him return (and why not, he's one of the finest artists ever to grace the Prog), then yeah, as the thread title suggests; Bring back Ian Gibson on Dredd.

Skullmo

Quote from: Jacqusie on 03 February, 2015, 12:34:59 AM
It's nice to see the encouragers on this thread. The world already has it's fair share of critics.

Yes!
It's a joke. I was joking.

Hawkmumbler

Herm, though I disagree over the potential for the picture to be considered "titelating" the nature of breats and their place as "sexual organs" is a discusion for another day, you are right. I went of on a tangent their that I honestly shouldn't have.

And I was unaware Gibson had directly said that. I read the original text accompanying the image back in 2013 as paraphrasing and hence any mistake was entirely down to the journalist. I'm sure we've been over this before as well but christ I actualy forgot about this whole affair and probably for good reason.

wedgeski

Gibson is my favourite 2000AD artist by quite some margin. Whatever can be done to entice him back to the comic should be done.

M.I.K.

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 03 February, 2015, 10:33:44 AM
Quote"I just called it 'topless Halo' as otherwise it was just a nameless pinup," he said.

Gibson said this. GIBSON. I really don't see how people are having a hard time accepting that it was him and not the convention organisers.

That's why I said "somebody had the bright idea to say it was her", 'cos I wasn't sure if it had been him or the convention folk.

Dandontdare

Jacqusie

Quote from: wedgeski on 03 February, 2015, 11:00:25 AM
Gibson is my favourite 2000AD artist by quite some margin. Whatever can be done to entice him back to the comic should be done.

Agreed - should we start a movement or something? An open letter to Tharg or a petition? Either way I'm with Ian Gibson block, who are you fighting for?

:)

Jim_Campbell

Oh, for fuck's sake. Tharg and Ian have each other's phone numbers: if Ian was desperate to work for 2000AD again, he knows how to make that happen. Or are you campaigning to have him work on a strip when his heart's not really in it? Because we know how well that worked out last time...

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Dunk!

I worship hard at the artistic feet of Mr Gibson (<see my original art gallery for proof) but with the limited space available and v-limited opportunities outside 2000ad now, I'd rather see an unknown newbie have a crack at Dredd then bring back someone of the old school who appears not to desire the showcase such work provides.

Some keen young blood to challenge my eyes and start their fledgling career gets my vote.

Dunk!

PS Do love Mr Gibson's art xxx
"Trust we"

I, Cosh

Quote from: Dunk! on 04 February, 2015, 08:54:19 AM
Some keen young blood to challenge my eyes and start their fledgling career gets my vote.
I'm with this. Invest in the future, not digging up the past. Unless it's an artist I like, of course.
We never really die.

Link Prime

Quote from: The Cosh on 04 February, 2015, 09:45:47 AM
Quote from: Dunk! on 04 February, 2015, 08:54:19 AM
I'm with this. Invest in the future, not digging up the past. Unless it's an artist I like, of course.

Whats your point, callers?

Any given Prog is a pretty good mix of the new and old.
This very week we have 50% of the script & art Droids with a career spanning more than 20 years (2 of them have been around since 1977).
We also have the (rather excellent) newcomers Guy Adams & Jake Lynch.