Main Menu

A combined physical and digital subscription would be great.

Started by zombieman, 09 February, 2016, 04:11:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zombieman

I currently subscribe to both 2000ad and the Megazine in physical format, which is great, but means it can be a real pain in the arse to dig out older stories for a re-read. I'd love a digital subscription that I could back up and access easily at any time, but I'll be buggered if I'm paying out full price for another sub. A combiined subscription, or even free digital copies for subscribers would be brilliant. Failing that, a subscription based digital archive like Marvel Unlimited would also work.

IndigoPrime

Rebellion's stated that there are currently no plans for this, but as a thought experiment, what would existing print subscribers be willing to pay to get access to the 'other half'?

Right now, a 2000 AD print subscription is £120. A digital sub is a penny under 80 quid. If you're paying £120 for print, how much extra would you pay to add digital to that?

AlexF

Just to be contrary, since I've moved to a digital only sub for the Prog, I actually find it harder to dig out old stories. For a one-off Dredd or a Future Shock, digital is easier. And if I have a digital collection, it's perfect (Red Seas and Caballistics, I'm looking at you!) But if, say, I want to re-read the Order, I have to download 24 Progs (not usually enough room on my tablet to do them all at once), then open each one, fiddle a bit to find the right page, close, open next prog, hunt for the page etc.

Getting a stack of progs out of my attic to re-read, say, Michael Fleisher's run on Fr1day*, feels much more user-friendly in terms of flipping through the paper progs from one epsiode to the next.

All that said, I would consider getting a print and digital sub combined for a slight price increase over the print only. Like, £5-£10 more. And a free Graphic Novel download as an incentive.

*The things I do for my blog  :D
http://heroesof2000ad.blogspot.co.uk/...

SuperSurfer

Quote from: AlexF on 16 May, 2016, 12:28:20 PM
...since I've moved to a digital only sub for the Prog, I actually find it harder to dig out old stories. For a one-off Dredd or a Future Shock, digital is easier. And if I have a digital collection, it's perfect (Red Seas and Caballistics, I'm looking at you!) But if, say, I want to re-read the Order, I have to download 24 Progs (not usually enough room on my tablet to do them all at once), then open each one, fiddle a bit to find the right page, close, open next prog, hunt for the page etc.

Getting a stack of progs out of my attic to re-read, say, Michael Fleisher's run on Fr1day*, feels much more user-friendly in terms of flipping through the paper progs from one epsiode to the next.
http://heroesof2000ad.blogspot.co.uk/...
I still maintain that browsing is much easier on paper than on computers/tablets/smart phones.

But then again, I remember being amazed when I first saw a digital watch, pocket calculator and fax machine.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: AlexF on 16 May, 2016, 12:28:20 PMBut if, say, I want to re-read the Order, I have to download 24 Progs (not usually enough room on my tablet to do them all at once), then open each one, fiddle a bit to find the right page, close, open next prog, hunt for the page etc.
Given that the Progs are DRM-free, I'd be tempted just to make my own digital PDF collections of strips once they end their runs.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Paper til it dies. And anyone who argues to the contrary is wrong. Wrong, I tells ya.

This thread should be deleted, as the thin end of the wedge.
Lock up your spoons!

Rately

I'm more inclined to have a digital sub at moment, due to space constraints, but in future i'd love to have the option of having a digital / paper sub.

What i wouldn't give to have a lovely, spacious attic space to store a massive collection.