Main Menu

Prog 2008 Mind Craft

Started by Mattofthespurs, 19 November, 2016, 09:08:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spikes

Not read the rest as yet, but Dredd is aces. A good little tale, and some cracking art by the Lynch droid.

Me like,  :thumbsup:

Hawkmumbler

'Slams head on table' JUST FUCKING SHOOT THE PREACHER ALREADY AND SHUT UP!!!

The incompetence Flesh willfully displays is frustrating as all heck. I love Uncle Pat, really I do, but this is just utterly fucking terrible on all accounts.

Counterfeit Girl, on the other hand, is delightfully, vibrant, smart, witty and concise. Love it, love it to death.

Hunted continues to be a blast, this Dredd tale is a real stonker, and Savage is...alright I guess.

TordelBack

The degree to which current Flesh repeatedly drops the ball has to be highlighted by the complete silence surrounding the revelation last week that a Prog 1 main character is gay. I know we're in a happy place and time which such TMZ-things should pass without comment, but I'd still have expected some notice to be taken.

And if a bit of traditional outing isn't your thing, how about the fact that it's just one episode since the most significant event in the whole concept of the strip - the asteroid impact that signals the end of the Cretaceous, ans this extinction of the whole raison d'etre - and we're still looking at the same bunch of Cowboys and a dinosaur who seem incapable of shooting and/or eating sand other and instead just standing there like the posed photos they are, mouthing off about justice and revenge or something.

It''s a terrible betrayal of promise and premise.

Smith

On the other hand,framing the whole things as a start-of-Prohibition party,was pretty brilliant.

Magnetica

Quote from: TordelBack on 24 November, 2016, 11:57:29 AM
how about the fact that it's just one episode since the most significant event in the whole concept of the strip - the asteroid impact that signals the end of the Cretaceous, ans this extinction of the whole raison d'etre - and we're still looking at the same bunch of Cowboys and a dinosaur who seem incapable of shooting and/or eating sand other and instead just standing there like the posed photos they are, mouthing off about justice and revenge or something.

It''s a terrible betrayal of promise and premise.

I had a similar thought about the asteroid impact and was going to post "how come everyone is still running around?". But I then went and looked it up, and the dinosaur extinction following the impact is thought to have taken "years to a few thousand years". So actually it is not unreasonable that people and dinosaurs are still running around, albeit in an atmosphere that is now being clogged up by dust from the impact.

And I am trying to ignore what could be seen as a massive plot hole: given Trans Time could have chosen any time to go back to, why choose one so close to the asteroid strike?

Frank

it's just one episode since the most significant event in the whole concept of the strip - the asteroid impact that signals the end of the Cretaceous ... and we're still looking at the same bunch of Cowboys

That was just bizarre; it would have been a great narrative hook to build towards as a finale.

The title made me think this series was going to be told from the monster's perspective. Mills has an affinity for evil old dinosaurs*, and I'm sure he'd have more fun pacing around his Spanish retirement villa pretending to be a Ginormosaur** than acting out spaghetti western dialogue.

Bill and the Volg discussing how neither of them can really think of a convincing reason why they've teamed up is much more fun. I pissed myself laughing when the lorry went all Amazon Prime; what chance does the former lorry driver have when his most trusted allies rise up against him?

Mills is at his best when he's not taking himself seriously and going over the top like Blackadder. I can see why fans of Resistance Struggle Savage are upset everything's taken a silly turn, but I'm happy to follow Bill and Pat up the Thousand Year Stairs to Torquemada land.

Stop describing Pat's found text narration as 'song lyrics' though! Folk have used The Gospel Of St John The Divine as inspiration for compositions, but nothing this year's X-Factor winner will be putting out in time for Christmas.

* Supply your own jokes here

** Latin name, Murdernivorous Shiteasbigasacarous

TordelBack

Quote from: Magnetica on 24 November, 2016, 12:48:40 PM
And I am trying to ignore what could be seen as a massive plot hole: given Trans Time could have chosen any time to go back to, why choose one so close to the asteroid strike?

'Time change' caused the date of the impact to alter - it wasn't supposed to happen for a thousand years. I get that the die-off took time, and was mulifactorial, but so far it looks like Moore & Davis made more memorable use of Chicxulub in one panel of The Hyperhistoric Headbang than Mills who has built a whole world around it.

Anyway, my objection isn't that the world didn't, it's that it did and we're still standing about looking at Pastor Effing Sunday, the most boring one-note character of any of Mills' two-hundred religious nut murderers.

Dark Jimbo

I've not been reading the prog this year, but Flesh was by far and away my least favourite Mills offering in recent memory (perhaps only because I never read American Reaper) - and I'm a self-confessed Mills apologist, who will usually contort himself into all sorts of unlikely shapes in an effort to explain, excuse or interpret his occassional, ahem, continuity lapses or narrative faux pas.

Flesh is just not worth the bloody effort.
@jamesfeistdraws

Magnetica

For me Flesh and ABC Warriors are now congealing into one Millslangley amorphic blob.

And I like them - for the most part.

The Amstor Computer

The degree to which current Flesh repeatedly drops the ball has to be highlighted by the complete silence surrounding the revelation last week that a Prog 1 main character is gay. I know we're in a happy place and time which such TMZ-things should pass without comment, but I'd still have expected some notice to be taken.

If memory serves, that character was revealed to be gay - or at least there was a very strong, not-at-all subtle hint that he was - in a previous Flesh series. Don't recall if it was the one immediately prior to the current one or the series before that, but it had certainly been mentioned before, which may explain the lack of comment :-)

Hawkmumbler

Wait, hold on, I'm as gay as a copy of Ru Paul on pride day, everyday, and I didn't pick up on Regan being gay.

Or are we talking about Bill Savage? I hear he's firing mostly blanks these days.

Greg M.

Amstor is right - a series or two ago (don't remember when, I'm not really following the story), Claw Carver strongly that implied Joe, from the original 'Flesh', was Reagan's lover. Reagan didn't deny it.

GordonR

Quote from: Greg M. on 24 November, 2016, 07:26:39 PM
Amstor is right - a series or two ago (don't remember when, I'm not really following the story), Claw Carver strongly that implied Joe, from the original 'Flesh', was Reagan's lover. Reagan didn't deny it.

Well, this puts Reagan's struggles with Old One Eye into a whole new light.

Dark Jimbo

@jamesfeistdraws

The Amstor Computer

Quote from: GordonR on 24 November, 2016, 07:37:47 PM
Well, this puts Reagan's struggles with Old One Eye into a whole new light.

Given that his struggles often involved jamming a goad into the "wart-riddled beast" there's quite the interpretation to be made... :-)