Main Menu

PROG 2011 - Highly Explosive Thrill-Zone!

Started by Richard, 09 December, 2016, 11:11:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

A rare Friday arrival! Lucky me!

The stand-out story this week is Judge Dredd: Boxing Day by Rob Williams and Chris Weston. It's a fun story of the old school variety, with lots of references to classic characters, but done in a way that won't alienate readers who don't know them. Weston's art is characteristically very detailed and colourful, and when I finished the story I went back and looked at all the pages again, something I almost never do. Later I discovered that he's also done a double-page pin-up of [spoiler]Dredd and Chopper.[/spoiler]

My second favourite was new thrill Hope, by Guy Adams and Jimmy Broxton. Only five pages to go on, but it looks promising. A sort of 1940s cross between Hellblazer and Watchmen, by the look of it. Looking forward to see how it develops.

The new series of Kingdom gets off to a cracking start. There's a new series called Kingmaker by Ian Edginton and Leigh Gallagher (in colour),

There are one-off episodes of Deadworld, Ace Trucking Co and Aquila. Aquila moves into the 14th century and is an enjoyably bloody tale, and my favourite instalment of the series so far. The other two, and The Order, I haven't read yet as I don't want to finish the whole thing in one sitting. And there are text articles about Misty and about a novel by Pat Mills and Kev O'Neill. And a Droid Life.

All in all, a very good end of year prog.

The Monarch

Dandontdare

Trent

Got mine too.
Overall an excellent prog which I plan to ration, trapped as I am in hospital.
Dredd is excellent, the new stories look promising and the one-offs hit the mark.
If I have a criticism it's that there is only 70 pages of art, these progs used to be 80 plus, but only a minor niggle.

jannerboyuk

Got mine! Cover looks great, trying to read it all, remember its got to last 3 weeks!

jannerboyuk

Quote from: jannerboyuk on 10 December, 2016, 11:25:04 AM
Got mine! Cover looks great, trying to read it all, remember its got to last 3 weeks!
meant trying not to read it all - doh!

Steve Green

Quote from: Trent on 10 December, 2016, 03:12:04 AM
Got mine too.
Overall an excellent prog which I plan to ration, trapped as I am in hospital.
Dredd is excellent, the new stories look promising and the one-offs hit the mark.
If I have a criticism it's that there is only 70 pages of art, these progs used to be 80 plus, but only a minor niggle.

Well, they have the 40th anniversary prog alongside the regular prog in 2 months time, as well as having the on/off FCB, prog 2000 and summer special this year, it's been a busy time.

jannerboyuk

Loved the dredd story as a xmas special despite the daftness (paper money 100 years in the future? Really?) but wonderfully drawn.
Never liked ace trucking and this one was extra worthy which fell flat for me.
Deadworld i loved but was a bit weird as an episode in a running story that isnt back until spring!
Kingmaker is right up my street so looking forward to the next episode
Not everybodys fave thing in a prog but really enjoyed the misty feature, as i love british comics history.
Saving the rest (such discipline!)
Overall really good so far

Mattofthespurs

Saving mine for closer to the day because I'm great.

sheridan

Quote from: jannerboyuk on 10 December, 2016, 02:13:19 PM
Loved the dredd story as a xmas special despite the daftness (paper money 100 years in the future? Really?) but wonderfully drawn.

Not read the story yet, but there is previous for paper money in MC1, with a Lenny Zero cover by Ben Willsher (not to mention all the other mentions of paper creds in Pete's blog post).

Buttonman

Gah! Looks like I got the Letter o the Week but have no Prog! Any kind soul able to upload a scan for me?

Mute77

Great cover-love the look on the reindeers face! This will be my first end of year prog after a few years break so am looking forward to reading this.

Geoff

Friday delivery and a superb cover! Only read Dredd so far, an enjoyable comic tale, but the glorious Chris Weston art is a real Christmas treat. Just like Richard I went straight back over and looked at all the pages again. Thanks Tharg - and more of that droid in 2017 please!

Buttonman

Got my scan - thanks my generous benefactor!