Main Menu

The 2000 AD Thrill-Cast - the official podcast of the Galaxy's Greatest Comic!

Started by Molch-R, 22 January, 2015, 10:38:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muon

Great podcast as ever. The Thrillcast is always a highlight of my week when it comes out. It's fascinating hearing about the creative process and the talk of how comics were run back in the day is always an eye-opener.

This was a particularly interesting one for me as I have really clear memories of Scream and I'd always assumed I read the whole run as a 7-year-old, but hearing about stories here I realised I didn't really recognise any of them. I might have picked up one or two issues here and there but I doubt it was more than that. I seem to remember adverts (that I guess I would have seen in Buster or whizzer and Chips). I seem to remember an image of a kid reading the comic and a legion of ghouls and ghosts lining up behind him, presumably to get a read themselves.

I do have a clear memory of getting the 1985 holiday special, though, and I only knew from this podcast that the specials were kind of a cash-in after the comic had folded. I looked it up after listening to the podcast and recognised the cover image.

One thing I did manage to get the whole run of at around the same time is the comic School Fun. I kept them in a special drawer and had a vague idea they might be worth something in the future (in my mind at the time that probably meant 1989 or so), but of course my mum threw them away one day. I think the Scream holiday special suffered the same fate.

It's amazing that so many comics came out of the blue and disappeared just as fast in those days. It just seemed part of the fabric of the universe at the time (comics magically appeared on the newsagent shelf every week like milk on the doorstep, and sometimes they just weren't there anymore), but it was interesting to hear the inside story so many years later. The weird business shenanigans are just as fascinating to me as the stories about how the strips were created.

Really tempted to get that Monster graphic novel...

matty_ae

abelardsnazz

Brilliant bumper thrill-cast this week, with some great insights into how the comics were run and the censorship they went through. Enjoyed listening to both interviews, with Chris Lowder making me laugh out loud numerous times.

Looking forward to hearing Ben Wheatley next time, a film-maker whose work I enjoy very much. High-Rise was brilliant.

Colin YNWA

Been away camping for the weekend and while catching up with a mass of ironing finally got around to listening to the Ian Rimmer, Chris Lowder podcast and it was as interesting as I'd hoped.

We're so awash with interviews and what not these days that its really exciting to get a fresh perspective and Chris Lowder certainly provided that. Wonderful stuff. I'd love to hear more from Mr Lowder as there were hints as how he'd provide an alternative to the Mills' history of things - which while I love Uncle Pat there are always two sides to ever story.

Quote from: matty_ae on 30 June, 2016, 02:38:21 PM
Here's a link to the Court Room Dredd strip that Chris originally wrote
http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=input&page=thrillviewer&choice=courtroom

Thank you so much for posting that as I was going to ask.

Molch-R

Thank you, as always, for the feedback - particularly the kind words about the last episode, which was a hoot to do. Speaking of which...

This week I talk to Ben Wheatley, the acclaimed director behind Sightseers, Kill List, A Field in England, and High Rise, about his love of 2000 AD and the influence the Galaxy's Greatest Comic has had on his work - he talks about his films, his memories and the impact of reading 2000 AD classics, and reveals his current work with one of the all-time legends of 2000 AD.

www.2000ADonline.com/podcast

(Luckily for you all we cut the 40 mins at the end where we drone on about the English Civil War...)

JOE SOAP

Brilliant; great to have different opinions about 2000AD outside comics.

abelardsnazz

Another great episode, fascinating interview with Ben Wheatley, all of whose films I've enjoyed, apart from Kill List for some reason, maybe I need to see it again. Fiends of the Eastern Front as a film, what a great idea. Keep up the good work Molch-R.

Muon

Wow, Ben Weatley really is a super fan! He totally out-nerded Molch-R. I could probably have listened to another hour of that conversation  :)

Spikes

Yep, a cracking podcast that. Ben makes a cracking interviewee, and nice to know I wasn't the only one who mispronounced Mick McMahon's surname for years...

Steve Green

Great interview, great to hear the influence outside the comic industry.

Here's the Nemesis inspired clip mentioned by Ben...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qiYEPVR67U

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: Steve Green on 14 July, 2016, 09:21:06 PM
Here's the Nemesis inspired clip mentioned by Ben...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qiYEPVR67U

Gruddamnit, it's got Joy by Apollo 100 on it again!  Must have heard that dozens of times this week despite not noticing it for years!

Curse you, Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon!
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

Jim_Campbell

Fiends of the Eastern Front, directed by Wheatley? Quick! To Kickstarter!
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

robert_ellis

Never heard of Ben Wheatley - now I'm watching Sightseers. This was a truly inspired podcast. I never wanted it to end! Cheers Molchr!