Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 06 January, 2013, 11:55:39 AM
Has that picture been on Threadjacking yet?

It's been on Crimewatch.

Spikes

Quote from: El Chivo on 06 January, 2013, 01:13:35 PM
Defiance

Awesome, awesome movie about Jews escaping horrid Nazis, Wolverine's brother is especially good as ..erm James Bond's brother

Cheers

Chi

Id marked that film off in the Radio Times as one to watch, and then completely forgot it was on.
Thank Grud for the i-player, though. So, watching this tonight.

El Chivo

The Iron Lady
Not as good as Iron Man but better than Iron Man 2
Nice twist making the central character evil

Nah, didn't watch it really, watched Predators instead ,shit but probably more believable

Chi

Professor Bear

I admit to watching it in the company of six pints, but Green Goblin's Last Stand may still be one of the greatest things I have ever seen.  Norman Osbourne running around hallucinating Spidey had me laughing my balls off, especially when he was getting bottled in the face over and over by muggers, the costumes are terrible, the direction is at best functional... but bugger me if I didn't enjoy that way more than Amazing Spider-Man.  It's on Youtube and the "high res version" looks worse than something shot on a phone from 10 years ago, but the sight of some mad bastard in a Spidey costume swinging on a rope four stories up is more impressive than any amount of cgi will ever be.

TordelBack

Inglourious Basterds.

Hah, I enjoyed that very much indeed, a great premise (bad guys whose horrid demises you just can't object to), delivered with with and excitement.  The use of very, very slow scenes to build tension seemed like it was going to be a self-indulgent PITA, but ended up working very well.  The casting veered between inspiration and madness, but I thought Pitt and Waltz were both excellent, and I was amazed to see that the hitherto-dismissed-as-vapid Diane Kruger can actually act.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Cloud Atlas

Turns the structure of the book inside out, and it took about an hour for it to become coherent, but I thought the pay off was pretty good and there were some fun sequences. It passed three hours enjoyably enough, but I doubt I'll bother to watch it again.

*Edit: I have to add, Hugo Weaving is the best villain actor since Alan Rickman

Lincoln

Beautifully shot, excellent costumes and whatnot, an excellent cast with a tour-de-force performance by Daniel Day-Lewis. But when it comes down to it, I wasn't blown away. I had the same problem with Invictus, if you already know the story, it's not as entertaining.
You may quote me on that.

radiator

I've never been able to tell the difference between what Daniel Day Lewis does and shameless scenery-chewing.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: radiator on 08 January, 2013, 06:41:13 PM
I've never been able to tell the difference between what Daniel Day Lewis does and shameless scenery-chewing.

You make that sound like that's a bad thing. I reckon he was picking bits of (beautiful, historically accurate) scenery out of his teeth for weeks after.

I love a bit a Speilberg too. He didn't dwell too much on the Civil War aspect of the story, but when he did, he battered ye 'round the head with the whole inhuman horror of it all.
You may quote me on that.

Zarjazzer

Superman Doomsday an animated film of the graphic novel of the comic,  enjoyable though some of the faces were a bit odd ball especially Supes,([spoiler]both of them[/spoiler]) cheekbones more like violent cuts anyway the only non plus point the rather aneamic version of Lex Luthor, and apparent lack of other capes at Supercapes "funeral". Some seemingly almost Judge Dredd influenced moments in it. Especially on [spoiler]new [/spoiler]Supes view of crims. ;)
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Spikes

Quote from: TotalHack on 07 January, 2013, 09:32:02 AM
Inglourious Basterds.

Hah, I enjoyed that very much indeed, a great premise (bad guys whose horrid demises you just can't object to), delivered with with and excitement.  The use of very, very slow scenes to build tension seemed like it was going to be a self-indulgent PITA, but ended up working very well.  The casting veered between inspiration and madness, but I thought Pitt and Waltz were both excellent, and I was amazed to see that the hitherto-dismissed-as-vapid Diane Kruger can actually act.

I must admit to a bit of a love/hate relationship with Tarantino's films. Self indulgent in the exteme at times, but i am looking forward to his newie. And thats largely down to Waltz, who was the best thing about Inglourious Basterds by a mile.

Professor Bear

I refuse to watch that film because Tarantino is so up himself he couldn't be bothered to spell-check the title and clearly no-one around him wants to be the one to point it out.  Fuck him and fuck his movie.

TordelBack

Quote from: Professor Bear on 08 January, 2013, 11:59:39 PM
I refuse to watch that film because Tarantino is so up himself he couldn't be bothered to spell-check the title and clearly no-one around him wants to be the one to point it out.  Fuck him and fuck his movie.

It's as if Trout and Godders had a love child!

Colin YNWA

As it goes I watched Inglourious Basterds last night and have to say I really really enjoyed it, mind I'm hardly one to complain about spelling and grammar errors now am I!

I thought the unsubtle movies tributes might piss me off - they didn't (though I did spend the movie wondering if other bits were similar tributes that I wasn't getting!)

I thought the Tarantinoisms; like the freeze frames and on-screen writing etc would bug me - it didn't

I thought the modern music would bug me - Fair from it.

Somehow for all these things that on paper might have pulled me out and annoyed me, held together really well and in some way they served to support the history shattering ending, after all its just a movie and he kept reminding us of that. Great stuff.

Funnily enough though I thought most of the germans, well the troops anyway, were portrayed as really well rounded characters and their ends were all the more powerful and brutal for that. The officers and above were wonderfully over the top and they got what was coming to um.

As has been Waltz was just sublime, one of the great movie villains of all time.

JamesC

At least you feel like you've actually seen something after a Tarantino film - like it or loath it.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JamesC on 09 January, 2013, 10:28:28 AM
At least you feel like you've actually seen something after a Tarantino film - like it or loath it.

In the case of Kill Bill Pt1, it was mostly my watch I saw, since I kept looking at it to see how much more of this crap I had to sit through...

(Left to my own devices, I'd have switched it off, but I was watching with friends who seemed to be enjoying it.)

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.