Main Menu

Prog 1997 - got that back to school feeling?

Started by moly, 03 September, 2016, 11:40:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moly

Fantastic cover by cliff Robinson

Dredd continues at a cracking pace [spoiler]and the voice in his head comes back ?[/spoiler]

Scarlet traces rumbles on

Jaegir loving this strip probably the best new character in the last few years

Outlier still enjoyable but will probably re read when finished

Anderson nice epeside to fill in the back story

janus stark

pleased that the powers that be didnt release a preview of this weeks cover. cliff at his best, the cover has no link with thi weeks story but is perfectly timed . i am hoping that next weeks strap line is  " it means nothing to me , ooohhh......"

Colin YNWA

To say we're three progs out from a major jump on issue this is some damned fin thrillage Tharg is serving. Dredd has built and built and now we head full pace into what seems like its going to be a nailbiting crescendo.

Both Scarlet Traces and Jaegir provide some well delivered excellently visualised exposition. Outlier sets up its own compelling finale and Anderson does a bit of both.

All wrapped in an wonderful timely cover. However much I'm looking forward to Prog 2000 getting there is going to be just as much fun!

Trent

Hoping PJ gets away. I understand why people call for him or other characters to be killed off (Anderson seems to be a favourite) but generally in 2000AD when someone is dead that is that and I would prefer to be able to read more PJ in the future.
Bit like they say about suicide, a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

Colin YNWA

For me PJ has been popping up a bit to regularly for me and while killing him off seems a drastic way to give him a break it might be the only one. Does feel like his is a story that needs an end and there can surely be only one end?

Trent

I agree he has been overused Colin, what with being in both Tour of Duty and Day of Chaos but would you really never want another PJ story ever?
It's a balance between investing in characters and making the stakes feel real but as with most TV shows killing off a major character has a dramatic resonance but leaves future options poorer for their absence.
It says something about 2000AD that I am feeling this way as the story very definitely has an air of finality about it. You never get that anxious about DC or Marvel characters as they never really die or even if they do they are brought back in some new universe reboot. 2000AD is not afraid to kill off characters for good, but to paraphrase Jurassic Park, just because you can, it doesn't mean that you should.

Colin YNWA

But surely one of the driving strenghs of 2000ad and is the fact it does kill off so many driving the need for creation and invention. We might want MORE PJ stories but we have a load of great ones already. Wouldn't it be better to mark the end of his story and enjoy Wagner creating someone new who can be a reoccuring villian?

Trent

To be honest, I would be happy with the PJ stories we have now, although I am more than a little curious about the voice in his head which has shown there are new directions for the character.
Given the impending milestone and Wagner's slow but steady withdrawal from Dredd he may be wanting to close off some of his creations.
I'll accept whatever happens, as ever, in Wagner we trust.

Echidna

I'm looking forward to the best cover poll at the end of the year - we've had at least three or four instant classics and two of them are by Cliff Robinson. I'm continually impressed by his ability to draw Dredd from any angle, and his eye for composition - like how he's used the two standing cadets to fill the negative space beneath Dredd's arms. The cadet's choice of prog is a nice touch - it had to be a wraparound, and how fortunate that 1750 also features a Squaxx about to be busted for illicit thrill consumption. Finally, of the two visible name badges, one is Robinson (naturally) and the other says something like Wadsworth - can anyone explain the reference?

On a less happy note, I was disappointed to find a typo for the fourth week running. Get Mek-Quake on the case, Tharg!

Magnetica

Another good Prog this week.

Best thing in it is Dredd. I am pretty certain the undercover Judge from Last week is playing the part of Vienna - especially as Dredd refers to her as "her" on the last page in some deliberately vague dialogue.

Every week when I start to read Scarlet Traces I feel like I have missed something and have to go back over last week's episode. Maybe it's just me, but it doesn't help the flow of the story or to push it up in my estimation.

Jaegir is just great and given this run ends before Prog 2000 I assume this is the set up for what will follow - looks intriguing.

Outlier - carries on as it was.

Anderson -  shows what is really going on (mostly - but there may be more to come?).

Great cover too.

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: Magnetica on 04 September, 2016, 12:04:06 PM

Best thing in it is Dredd. I am pretty certain the undercover Judge from Last week is playing the part of Vienna - especially as Dredd refers to her as "her" on the last page in some deliberately vague dialogue

Unless the "hger" in question is PJ Maybe?
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: Batman's Superior Cousin on 04 September, 2016, 08:36:51 PM

Best thing in it is Dredd. I am pretty certain the undercover Judge from Last week is playing the part of Vienna - especially as Dredd refers to her as "her" on the last page in some deliberately vague dialogue

Unless the "hger" in question is PJ Maybe?

* I meant "her"!!! Damn, where's the edit button when you need it??
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

sheridan

Jaegir is just great and given this run ends before Prog 2000 I assume this is the set up for what will follow - looks intriguing.
From Tharg's Nerve Centre in Prog 1996:
QuoteWe welcome back Kapiten-Inspector Atalia Jaegir this prog for four-episode story Warchild, brought to you by the regular script and art team of Gordon Rennie and Simon Coleby, that sets up the next arc of this popular series...

Magnetica

Quote from: Batman's Superior Cousin on 04 September, 2016, 08:36:51 PM

Unless the "her in question is PJ Maybe?

The line is "I let Maybe escape and she dies!" so Dredd is referring to Maybe's captive.