Main Menu

Prog 2003: On The Warpath

Started by Trent, 15 October, 2016, 11:48:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Yeah, I said all that above, guys. That's delivering computer code via a biological interface - not sure what makes that a psychic virus.

My computer was delivered to my house by a human from Argos; that doesn't mean my computer is a biological computer. Like I say, it's probably just a matter of terminology.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Frank on 28 October, 2016, 07:26:03 AM

Yeah, I said all that above, guys. That's delivering computer code via a biological interface - not sure what makes that a psychic virus.
1. Seems pretty reasonable that an artificial intelligence with emergent properties over and above simple neural nets could be said to have a psyche.

2. "Psychic virus" sounds cool.

Number 2 is probably the clincher.
We never really die.

ZenArcade

In a way, it would have little to do with Sinfields choice to impart the information through his own will.  I would persume MC1 spooks would have formulated his brain/psyche with multiple blocks and containments around the strategic information.  I'd guess he wouldn't be able to squeal even if he'd wanted to. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

TordelBack

Quote from: ZenArcade on 28 October, 2016, 08:12:54 AM
In a way, it would have little to do with Sinfields choice to impart the information through his own will.  I would persume MC1 spooks would have formulated his brain/psyche with multiple blocks and containments around the strategic information.  I'd guess he wouldn't be able to squeal even if he'd wanted to. Z

Complicated business, this!

Frank

TordelBack

Quote from: Frank on 28 October, 2016, 07:26:03 AM
My computer was delivered to my house by a human from Argos; that doesn't mean my computer is a biological computer. Like I say, it's probably just a matter of terminology.

But we talk about macro viruses, email viruses, boot-sector viruses... all are methods of transmission (in one sense). A psychic virus is one transmitted by a psychic via a direct brain link. Or it's a nasty psychic gremlin entity foisted on the strong-AI systems the Sovs clearly favour. Which is more fun. Especially when it comes looking g for its creator down the road...

Oh for the days when we failed to analyse 'hoojey paloojey!!' with such commendable rigour.

A.Cow

Quote from: I, Cosh on 28 October, 2016, 07:42:57 AM
1. Seems pretty reasonable that an artificial intelligence with emergent properties over and above simple neural nets could be said to have a psyche.

That's presuming that they're using quaint old-fashioned digital computers & neural nets.

Don't forget it's only 80 years since the only electronic computers were analogue ones, using waveform manipulation.  "Bits, bytes & CPUs" would have sounded as outlandish then as as "psychic virus" does now.

Number 2 is probably the clincher.

What he said.

Frank

Quote from: A.Cow on 29 October, 2016, 03:21:31 AM
That's presuming that they're using quaint old-fashioned digital computers & neural nets ...

All perfectly reasonable points, but this is a story that started with a character actually saying  good job these translator patches will allow the Sovs to understand our speech, and these nanobots will baffle their defences.

I really need to restate that I enjoyed the story; it's impossible to make more than 3 posts on a topic without looking like you're claiming the story has ruined your life.

Colin YNWA

Especially when that's all you really need to say.

Frank

Actually, it's one word more than necessary ...

Muon

Next week on Savage:

Strangers waiting
Up and down the boulevard
Their shadows searching in the night...

Bill blows away some Volgs...

Streetlight people
Living just to find emotion
Hiding somewhere in the night...

Bill fights a couple of Transformer things...

But I really think it needs a bit of Journey.

sheridan

Quote from: Muon on 29 October, 2016, 01:03:40 PM
Next week on Savage:

Volgformers - straw-dogs in disguise.

Hawkmumbler

Link Prime

Quote from: sheridan on 29 October, 2016, 07:48:15 PM
Quote from: Muon on 29 October, 2016, 01:03:40 PM
Next week on Savage:

Volgformers - straw-dogs in disguise.

More of a GoBot vibe.