Main Menu

Is Judge Dredd available in Germany?

Started by Misanthrope, 09 January, 2017, 11:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Misanthrope

I ask this as I have just watched a video about censorship in Germany.

Amongst the obvious things that are censored there (swastikas, etc) the symbol of the SS is not allowed to be shown. Seeing as the light flashes on Dredd's helmet resemble the SS symbol, would they allow them, censor them or downright ban Dredd all together?
Did you know Christ was a werewolf?

Misanthrope

JOE SOAP

sheridan

I saw a copy of the Sci-Fi Special in a Berliner Comic Shop a few years back (though annoyingly I already had a copy reserved at my FLCS so had to hold off reading it until I got back).

jacob g

There was few german editions.

Magazine format Joe shared, softovers editions of Muzak Killer, Mega City Blues in 90's, germany Egmont also put some books betwen 90/00.
margaritas ante porcos

Rogue Judge

Considering that Germany is experiencing 'overwhelming sales' of Mein Kampf (over 85,000 copies sold in the last year), I dont think that Dredd's helmet should bother anyone.

Link: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-38495456

morpheas

Quote from: Misanthrope on 09 January, 2017, 11:58:40 PM
Seeing as the light flashes on Dredd's helmet resemble the SS symbol, would they allow them, censor them or downright ban Dredd all together?

Erm... No, Dredd is not banned in Germany.
And the flashes do resemble the S of the SS symbol, but the two Letters must be drawn/writen/depicted together, to form the SS symbol. So its a borderline thing.

I bought a Dredd3D blue ray from Mediamarkt around 2013...

Considering the backround of the comic, there is nothing to censor anyway.
As far as I know, 2000ad and Megazine where available untill the 90s here in Germany, but dont nail me down on that.

If I want a paper copy, I can order one from a few comicbook shops, but it would arrive weeks later. So I prefer the digital issue. It is actually hard to get. I was at a comic con in Dortmund in December. There was nothing 2000ad/Judge Dredd related. No merchandise, not even unathorised junk. No-thing.

Misanthrope

A video game company could not use their logo in Germany, and that only had the one S.

Misanthrope

Sorry, it was a skateboard company whose logo appeared in a skateboarding game.

jacob g

Quote from: Misanthrope on 14 January, 2017, 03:05:55 PM
A video game company could not use their logo in Germany, and that only had the one S.

Yes, this was Mystery.

German small publisher once asked Lukasz Kowalczuk to remove SS looklalike from Vreckless Vrestlers cover. Lukasz said it ain't gonna happen so comic book never appeared in german market.

The logo in question.
margaritas ante porcos

Misanthrope

So not as daft as a question as I thought.

morpheas

Then it is justified.

Using Nazi symbols for entertainment and marketing purposes is vile. Any computer game, book, or comic that needs nazi symbols is not worth the money.

But that's a clear personal preference I suppose. I hate the stuff. If somebody uses them, they should have a good explanation and a good cause.  This ^^ example  is NOT a good cause and its a "no purchase" for me. There is no need for the use of the SS-Symbol.

Still, no content in Dredd is subject to censorship in Germany.

morpheas

He is not being censored; he just can't find a German publisher. 

He is so ignorant, and wants to keep his "cool" looking ss in his comic; he has to live with it.

jacob g

margaritas ante porcos

NapalmKev

The thing with symbols is that they are easily misappropriated by others. This doesn't mean that they should not be used.

Take the Swastika for example: a Hindu symbol for many years before being hijacked by the Nazi's and turned on its side! Should Hindu's stop using it because others might be offended? I would emphatically say, No!

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"