Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I, Cosh

Mission Impossible 2, yet again. I've never understood the bad rep this film gets. It's easily the best of the series and probably Woo's best US effort*. Sure, it overuses the rubber masks but it has some great fights and setpieces, a totally ludicrous motorbike chase, no Simon Pegg and, in Thandie Newton, an absolutely stunning leading lady who is also able to handle herself and be a useful member of the team. At least until she turns herself into the damsel in distress halfway through.

Dolph Lundgren directs himself as a family man living a double life as an enforcer for the Russian mob in The Killing Machine. It's a reasonably predictable series of double and triple-crosses, but the latter-day, grizzled Dolph is just right for the role: not a young man, but still dangerous to mess with. He's also improved as a director since Missionary Man, displaying a solid grasp of building tension in a scene although he's still too fond of voiceover, slow-mo and those whooshy jump cuts where a character walking through a door is suddenly in close up.

The budget for this one has stretched to a surprising amount of action too, with regular scraps throughout rather than the normal couple of big scenes at the start and finish.

* Obviously, this is nonsense. Face/Off is the best.
We never really die.

Richmond Clements

I like M:I 2 as well.

The Hobbit: I liked it. Saw it twice, in fact.
Jack Reacher: Really enjoyed this too. Not interested in the fact that the actor playing the lead character was not the same height as the character in the book. Apparently, Henry Cavill can't really fly and Sir Ian McKellen isn't an actual wizard.
Seven Psychopaths: utterly magnificent.
Brave: agree with TB and SM. Brilliant, beautiful and most importantly, empowering for your girls.

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

radiator

QuoteNot interested in the fact that the actor playing the lead character was not the same height as the character in the book.

I'm more worried about the size of his noggin:

Richmond Clements

Heh. That is photoshop-tasic!

MIKE COLLINS

Finally got around to seeing Battle: Los Angeles .

Hmm. Kinda like watching your hyperactive nephew play Call of Duty (now with added aliens!) 

And why does the director insist every 'quiet' scene is shot through/past something? Was this meant to by 3-D?

MIKE COLLINS

Quote from: radiator on 03 January, 2013, 08:35:55 PM
QuoteNot interested in the fact that the actor playing the lead character was not the same height as the character in the book.

I'm more worried about the size of his noggin:

Yep.

BPP

Quote from: MIKE COLLINS on 04 January, 2013, 01:45:44 PM

Hmm. Kinda like watching your hyperactive nephew play Call of Duty (now with added aliens!) 

And why does the director insist every 'quiet' scene is shot through/past something? Was this meant to by 3-D?

Would guess so, much like the hostage scene at the start of Dredd, AKA 'why are we looking at this through a burger stand' in 2D.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Goaty

Just out of studio with my work's film of the week,

King Kong (1976) - that was so crap!

I like one quote when group of men found out that girl was taken by the Kong,

MAN 1: He's taken her.

MAN 2: Someone's taken her.

MAN 3: Who the hell do you think went through there, some guy in an ape suit?

Yeah Kong was man in ape suit!!

Professor Bear

Believe it or not, Goaty, but IT GETS BETTER: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opyUm8hKIj0

edit: in fairness, I showed KKL to some kids who thought it was better than the Peter Jackson one.  I'm not sure I can argue with them.

HdE

Quote from: MIKE COLLINS on 04 January, 2013, 01:45:44 PM

Oddly enough, I watched this for the first time last night, and thought it was rubbish. Very well made, polished rubbish. But still rubbish.

Writing for movies seems to be at an all time low these days. At one point, when the lead character gives his pep-talk to the kid and brings his obligatory unruly suboardinate into line with a tough guy  'here's how it is' speech, I very nearly switched the movie off. AWFUL dialogue, cliched to the point that it wasn't even funny, and hideously acted. Hard pure corn, as my old man would put it.

I think the movie earns a few points back for knowing it's tosh and the producers making a fist of it - but I was disappointed at how little actual story there seemed to be, even given its simple premise.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

qtwerk

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 03 January, 2013, 07:57:14 PM

Jack Reacher: Really enjoyed this too. Not interested in the fact that the actor playing the lead character was not the same height as the character in the book. Apparently, Henry Cavill can't really fly and Sir Ian McKellen isn't an actual wizard.
Brave: agree with TB and SM. Brilliant, beautiful and most importantly, empowering for your girls.

The Reacher books are risible, but I think some physical resemblance helps

Would you have been happy with Paul Giamatti as Dredd?

shaolin_monkey

Underworld: Awakening. What a pile of shit. The 3D was crap too.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: qtwerk on 04 January, 2013, 09:16:29 PM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 03 January, 2013, 07:57:14 PM

The Reacher books are risible, but I think some physical resemblance helps

Would you have been happy with Paul Giamatti as Dredd?

No, that would just be silly.
Cruise is an action star, provably bankable and can get movies made, that was why he was in the role, do you see?
Now, if you had asked me if I would have been happy with Cruise as Dredd, then I'd have said yes. It would have at least made its money back.

HdE

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 05 January, 2013, 09:59:07 AM

Now, if you had asked me if I would have been happy with Cruise as Dredd, then I'd have said yes. It would have at least made its money back.

But... but... but... :(
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/