Main Menu

Prog 1987 - Time's Arrow

Started by Magnetica, 25 June, 2016, 01:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrJomster

Quote from: Spikes on 29 June, 2016, 04:39:36 PM
Just when you think Simon Davis' art can't get any better..... lovely, lovely stuff.

Have to agree with this!

In other news, Brink has really won me over as it's progressed. Awesome colouring this week.

Thinking of colouring, it's working really well with Steve Yeowell's art too. Don't suppose we cold go back and colour Red Seas like this by any chance? :)

As for Dredd... Very nice indeed.

Good work droids!
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Goaty

Why I feelings that Brink is [spoiler]some link to Brass Sun...? Maybe it was Wren's dream? [/spoiler]

TordelBack

Brink is powerfully tense and scary. Pick of the litter.
Grey Area gives us the promise of more Bitch, which is great.
Dredd is at the Dredd's-gang-meet-secretly-and-chat stage of almost all megaepics since DtLD. Needs to pick up the pace a bit, but still fun.
Slaine was going great until Slaine did his 'my strings are cut'  routine for what seems like the umpteenth time since Brutania began. I don't really get Slaine's prissiness re Macha - I thought he was a bit more enlightened thab thus. But lawks the art is lovely, and the revelation of Feg as Slaine's dad gets closer.
Black Shuck now adds 'confusing' to its list of crimes against my patience.

Greg M.

Quote from: Tordelback on 01 July, 2016, 11:43:31 PM
I don't really get Slaine's prissiness re Macha - I thought he was a bit more enlightened thab thus.

It doesn't matter how enlightened and fundamentally feminist of persusasion you are - you still don't want to think of your ma on the job. Especially with someone who's not your dad. I'm sure Slaine intellectually accepts the premise of his mum as a liberated woman, but that's not quite the same.

TordelBack

Quote from: Greg M. on 01 July, 2016, 11:58:29 PM
It doesn't matter how enlightened and fundamentally feminist of persusasion you are - you still don't want to think of your ma on the job. Especially with someone who's not your dad.

To be sure, but enough to drop you to your knees in the middle of a battle?

Plus the ghost-Macha's last words to Slaine were: "get drunk more often, dance naked in the moonlight, enjoy life [...] for years burdened down by rules and responsibilities will pass by empty and thankless and become lost years". So it's not like he thought she was a nun.

Hawkmumbler

12 weeks of Slaine mopping about his mothers sex life an no mention of the double standard, where in Slaine and other men can sleep about as much as they like but at the slightest inclination Macha was in anyway sexually liberal she's a "whore".

::)

TordelBack

I think Goddodin is a classic waddayacallit unreliable narrator, so I doubt we're supposed to agree with his politics. What I still don't understand is why thus bothers Slaine so much - he's met Macha's ghost as an adult, he's talked out the 'double standards' thing with Niamh at length, he's explored Christian hypocrisy towards women's sexuality, he's dealt at length with the capriciousness of the Goddess as maiden, mother and crone: he really shouldn't be so shocked.

Hawkmumbler

Simple, because the writings fucking shit!

I hate slagging off Pat Mills in such a base way, i'm not tired of his inability to write a chorerent story in the same way as I hold Frank Millar in a similar regard, i'm frustrated because I CAN love Mill's work. Charleys War, Nemesis The Warlock, Marshal Law. Classics all.

But modern Slaine? Utter turds.

Frank

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 08 July, 2016, 03:39:32 PM
12 weeks of Slaine mopping about his mothers sex life an no mention of the double standard, where in Slaine and other men can sleep about as much as they like but at the slightest inclination Macha was in anyway sexually liberal she's a "whore"

I've already discussed how weary I've become of Sláine literally being floored by an unkind word from Gododdin at the end of every other episode, but my reading of it is a little different to your own.

Sláine already knew his mum wasn't bound by Judeo-Christian sexual morality; it was the issue of his paternity that first led the boy MacNobody to take a knee, and I think it's the (very obvious) implications of Mummy MacRoth's power-fucking that have him Please, Please, Pleasing.

Yes, Luke, I am your father.

Jim_Campbell

To be honest, my beef with recent Slaine outings is as much to do with the shameless padding of insubstantial material as anything. The last couple of series have routinely had episodes averaging as few as three panels per page and relied on the fact that Davis has made them utterly gorgeous panels to get away with it. Twelve episodes that could have been told in six is, frankly, taking the piss a bit.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Dandontdare

Ever since Clint Langley started, Slaine has bee a thin excuse for beautiful pictures overlaid with Pat's commentary.

I stopped caring about the story and Slaine as a character decades ago (Leyser guns anyone?) but it's always been a showcase for some of the most beautiful pictures to grace the prog, and that's how I've always treated it - bollox with nice art.

I don't get annoyed at Pat - as far as I'm concerned, if 2000ad gave him a guaranteed 5 pages in every prog and he filled them wit absolute shit, he's earned that right for creating the damn thing in the first place.

Summary: Pat is sometimes shit and sometimes brilliant, but I'll give him more leeway than anybody else because he basically made the while thing possible.

Link Prime

Been re-reading the current Dredd storyline in preparation for the final chapters.
Finally figured out what was annoying me about the Giant & Joyce introduction this Prog; they were already partnered together in 'The Grindstone Cowboys' Part 3 (Prog 1975).