Main Menu

Prog 1992: The Dunwich Horror!

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 30 July, 2016, 02:05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonn Clarke

Horror-tastic BatWolf cover by Alex Ronald.

Thrills of the future: Kingdom: As it is in Heaven

Dredd and the Maybe hunt continues but Old Joe misses an obvious one.

Brink wraps up with an intriguing reveal about what's left of the solar system.

Black Shuck also concludes with a rearguard action that is saved in typical GoT fashion at the last moment.

Outlier promises an encounter with the Hurde.

And Scarlet traces sets us up for the voyage to Venus with some lovely family moments set against a background of Enoch Powell's infamous "rivers of blood" speech.

And there's four letters for the beast

WhizzBang

There hasn't been much discussion of Black Shuck but I have been enjoying it. It didn't grab me at first but I have been gradually drawn in and I think one episode used the phrase 'I am legend!' which has left me expecting this to somehow tie up with Agr Of The Wolf.

On another point, I am a digital subscriber and will  not get this issue until Wednesday. Why is that digital versions come out half a week after the print ones are first available?

Frank

Quote from: WhizzBang on 30 July, 2016, 02:54:29 PM
Why is that digital versions come out half a week after the print ones are first available?

I remember someone claiming 2000ad was turning up online before it went on sale in newsagents. Restricting the sale of digital copies means pirate versions are delayed for however long it takes to physically scan a comic, as well as narrowing the list of suspects.

You can tell Alex Ronald really enjoyed doing that werewolf.

IndigoPrime

Yeah, the digital prog coincides with general sale. The print subs are designed to get there on or before that date, and these days often drop on a Saturday (occasionally landing on a Monday or Tuesday).

Mattofthespurs

Got mine this morning as usual.
Great cover I have to say.
Overall a solid prog with a letters page.
Lots to like  :D

Banners

Writer of the Letter of the Week Chris Jenkins used to review games for Sinclair User. Did some work for him last year and met up at one point. Nice guy, but he never let on he was a fellow Squaxx!

PsychoGoatee

In honor of prog 1992, here are some of my favorite films of 1992:

The Mighty Ducks, Candyman, Hard Boiled, Wayne's World, Malcolm X, Basic Instinct, Universal Soldier, Reservoir Dogs, Juice, Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Cool World, Aladdin, Scent of a Woman, and last but not least Army of Darkness.  :)

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 30 July, 2016, 05:16:29 PM
Yeah, the digital prog coincides with general sale. The print subs are designed to get there on or before that date, and these days often drop on a Saturday (occasionally landing on a Monday or Tuesday).
Very much this, and considering the dire state comic book piracy is in right now Rebellion have every right to impose whatever barrier's they feel they need to deter 2000AD going the same way.

IndigoPrime

Especially given Rebellion's overt stance regarding DRM — or rather the lack thereof. Buy a comic and you can later download it for use wherever and whenever you want. Bits of the industry are playing catch-up on this, but Rebellion deserves credit for doing this as soon as it was feasible. The knock-on is that PDFs are online the second they come out, and so 'protecting' print in some way makes some sense. That said, I still imagine a lot of this is down to the practicality of things: the print sub isn't necessarily designed to drop early, but be as guaranteed as possible to reach you on or before the day the magazine hits the newsstands — physical or digital. (Digital, bar infrastructure screw-ups, is easier to get right in that regard, given that it's automated.)

(The only thing I would like to see at some point is some kind of combo sub, although it's hard to know whether people in general would be interested and at what price point it could work.)

mejustnow

Black Shuck has had two bites of the apple now, and I'm sorry but it's time to put this mutt down. The promise of the return of another canine, Gene the Hackman, has been more exciting than the entire run of Shuck.

On the other hand, getting the gears turning on book two of Brink needs to be an immediate priority! I've not been grabbed like this by a new thrill since Nikolai Dante.
SMUSHY PEAS!!!

Steve Green

I wasn't at sure about Brink at first, the pop-up captions seemed mostly redundant and just got in the way, but yeah probably my favourite new thrill for a while, along with the latest Scarlet Traces.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Black Shuck goes down in my estimation. Brink goes up. I really want to see what happens next.

I reserve the right to change my opinion on stories at any time and for any reason. I thought the first Deadworld was cack, but the second was simply fab.

Anyway, does anyone else think that PJ Maybe looks like Johnny Alpha?
Lock up your spoons!

Dandontdare

c'mon he's either going to look like Johnny Alpha or Lee Marvin isn't he?  ;)

Wagner & Ezquerra - Dredd and PJ Maybe - it doesn't get better than this! Loving it.

I'm going to give Black Schmuck one more try in a re-read, but I've been skipping it recently (and I never do that).

Quote from: Steve Green on 01 August, 2016, 05:51:29 PM
I wasn't at sure about Brink at first, the pop-up captions seemed mostly redundant and just got in the way, but yeah probably my favourite new thrill for a while, along with the latest Scarlet Traces.
^^^ This. Didn't rate it at first (especially the pop-ups), but the dialogue and characters are so natural that it just flows beautifully, and Culbard's art has grown on me too. Can you imagine that 3-episode stand-off conversation in Pat Mills' hands? They would have been shouting slogans at each other and making huge political speeches and it would seem to go on forever, but Dabnett keeps it zipping along and I can't wait for the next part now.

Outlier - Not a favourite, but I think I've got more of a handle on it this time around. I still can't remember which is caul and which is Carcer, but it seems to matter less in this series.

Scarlet Traces is slight but delightful, full of lovely details.

Southstreeter

Caul - Carcer confusion: me too. Isn't it a basic rule of writing fiction that two major characters should never have similar names?

Otherwise:

Dredd - you really can't go wrong (though Dredd himself did - surely he would have put a guard on duty?)

Brink - as many have said, this has got better and better - Tharg, please don't ever let Dabnett go.

Shuck - no, sorry this lost me weeks ago. The bad guys just run away? Weak.

War of the Worlds - not for me I'm afraid, though I can see why others might like it.

So a middling prog for me. Looking forward to some new stories.

Trout

I've really been enjoying Black Shuck. Nice to get some English history/folklore into comics.

It's also a great Dredd story [spoiler](he's BEHIIIIND YOU!) [/spoiler]and I'm delighted to see Scarlet Traces is back.

Quality progness.

- Trout