Prog 1995 - Shoot on Psight!

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 20 August, 2016, 10:37:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skullmo

It's a joke. I was joking.

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

Come on Ghost, want to get my two bobs worth in...
DDT did a job on me

Beaker

Yep, another damn good prog.

DREDD - Loving this story at the moment. I do think PJ may be (see what I did there?) going after [spoiler]Vienna [/spoiler] though.

SCARLET TRACES - This is another fave of mine. Love the artwork and intriguing characters. Using the martian war machines is a little like the first League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen but they're so iconic, why not? (I Steampunk cosplay as a British Corporal in the Martina war so who am I to complain?)

3RILLERS - Nope, not a clue. Might have to re-read this one.

OUTLIER - Never warmed to this at all so I just look at the pretty pictures.

ANDERSON - Great story, less keen on the depiction of Anderson. Doesn't look like her at all in my 'umble opinion.

Roll on next week...but I have got the Summer Special to tide me over.
"I've got 'em.....I just ain't scratching!'

The Enigmatic Dr X

PJ is the greatest Dredd villain ever. I'll be gutted if he is caught.

We recently passed the 29th anniversary of his first appearance in the prog (Prog 534, which IIRC was the first prog of everyone and his dog on this board). He was, what, 12 or 13 at the time? He is, therefore, in his early 40s at worst - and so has the potential to haunt and taunt Dredd for another 80 years.

Given that Wagner has said how hard it is to create an enduring Dredd villain, I would be stunned if PJ was put away.
Lock up your spoons!

Frank

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 22 August, 2016, 11:15:04 PM
Given that Wagner has said how hard it is to create an enduring Dredd villain, I would be stunned if PJ was put away.

Yeah, but Wagner is (gradually) retiring. Remember how he and Grant tried to put their toys outwith the reach of others the last time they left the comic (Final Solution, Song Of The Surfer).

Maybe seems to mean something to Wagner, so I could see him wanting to cap that one off himself, and the tone of this and Serial Serial seems different to previous outings.

Maybe stories are usually light hearted romps, with PJ trying to achieve a goal and Dredd coming in to follow the trail of bodies. The story has now become their determination to get each other.

Dredd almost put Maybe to death in Serial Serial, which felt like a dress rehearsal.

Trout

This Dredd story is stellar. Everyone doing their thing as well as possible. I hope he kills Maybe this time , because when Dredd is tolerating media criticism you know things save gone wrong.

My expectation for next week is[spoiler] the Quite Nice Bar, and that means Walter and Mrs G[/spoiler].

Scarlet Traces is still amazing, especially in its use of colour, and Anderson caught my attention this week with its storytelling. Twisty.

Outlier and the 3hriller are a bit too 'pure SF' for me. It's just never been my thing.

- Trout

robert_ellis

Truely cracking Dredd - I loved Carlos' nightclub scenes. The internal monologue of Dredd's rational was typically inflexible. I really hope we get a link back to the Dark Judges...

Proudhuff

Quote from: robert_ellis on 24 August, 2016, 08:35:24 AM
Truely cracking Dredd - I loved Carlos' nightclub scenes. The internal monologue of Dredd's rational was typically inflexible. I really hope we get a link back to the Dark Judges...
Nooooooooo! Thankfully the four stooges are dead and packed off to space, yes?
DDT did a job on me

Dark Jimbo

He is indeed the best-ever villian, and that's exactly why I'm praying that he is killed off (if not in this story, then soon). Let him keep his credibility, like Orlok - rather than go the way of Death or Mean.
@jamesfeistdraws

dweezil2

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 24 August, 2016, 05:31:34 PM

He is indeed the best-ever villian, and that's exactly why I'm praying that he is killed off (if not in this story, then soon). Let him keep his credibility, like Orlok - rather than go the way of Death or Mean.

I'm with Jimbo on this!

Go out on a high, which the strip certainly is turning out to be, rather than flogging the character to death.
Especially if Wagner has nothing more to say with the character.
The creep's had a good run of it.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

dweezil2

Only picked up the Prog today, so avoided previous spoiler tags.
But having read it, I get the sense that [spoiler]Vienna[/spoiler]could be next in Maybe's sights!

What a bodyblow to Dredd that would be!

[spoiler]when was her last appearance, was it chaos day[/spoiler]?

I'll add this, it's setting up to be an absolute classic Dredd story, bravo!
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Frank

Quote from: Proudhuff on 24 August, 2016, 04:44:42 PM
Thankfully the four (Dark Judges) are dead ... yes?

Since 1981, at the latest. I loved Maybe's similarly pedantic qualification to his declaration that Dredd would regret the day he was born. I note that [spoiler]Corrigan[/spoiler] looks similar to Maybe in his non-female guise ...

Does everyone else find lady Maybe attractive? Good, glad it's not just me.

Last week's red and green Martian art was some of the most wonderful ever to grace the comic. D'Israeli keeps it functional this week, emphasising the strength of his storytelling on an action episode that reads like the bit in Helium where Hodge borrowed an enemy ship to escape from captivity.

According to page 5, Dredd's spa day at Carousel appears to have left a transparent hole in his arse, through which the background may be glimpsed. Hope he kept the receipt.

Greg M.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Greg M. on 24 August, 2016, 08:17:24 PM
Quote from: Butch on 24 August, 2016, 08:12:04 PM

Does everyone else find lady Maybe attractive? Good, glad it's not just me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2djHEIxPVs

I am scared to click that link. Someone else do it and then post what it is, please.
Lock up your spoons!