Main Menu

Prog 1996 - Fatherland

Started by I, Cosh, 27 August, 2016, 11:22:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: flip-r mk2 on 27 August, 2016, 01:01:12 PM
Denise gone and no prog in Bonnybridge :(

filippo

I was at a party in Bonnybridge last night.

No prog here either.
Lock up your spoons!

sheridan

Not aware of any previous work by Paul Davidson, so a stirling first appearance there!

hippynumber1

Quote from: sheridan on 28 August, 2016, 04:57:57 PM
Not aware of any previous work by Paul Davidson, so a stirling first appearance there!

He was the artist on the last 'Aquila' story.

hippynumber1

And one or two of the Dredd movie sequels in the Meg.

sheridan

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 28 August, 2016, 05:33:49 PM
And one or two of the Dredd movie sequels in the Meg.
Thanks for the info - is it his first appearance on the cover?

Magnetica

Absolutely cracking Prog this week.

Dredd is about as good as it gets. Just brilliant.

I am struggling to see how Dredd will wrap in the next three weeks and I would say the same about Outlier, especially as it needs to wrap up the whole thing, not just this series. For me Outlier has progressed from solid back up material to something more.

Great to see Jaegir back - this looks really interesting.

This has been a most welcome fresh take on the Anderson series.

Bring up the rear for me is Scarlet Traces. It's perfectly ok, just bettered by the others for me.

Re Paul Davidson - he has also done a couple of Dredds in the Prog (most mememorably for me was the goblin king one with Gideon Dallas) and a regular (i.e. non-movie ) Dredd in the Meg (as well as the movie sequel mentioned above.) To me he is an artist I would like to see doing more Dredds (slightly out of proportion shoulder pads notwithstanding  :lol:).

I, Cosh

Quote from: Echidna on 27 August, 2016, 01:15:18 PM
What's the consensus on spoiler tags round here, btw? Helpful or annoying? I seem to remember someone got pissed off because they read a spoiler in the spoiler forum when Dredd [spoiler]died[/spoiler].
For me, I go with: if you don't want spoilers for the Prog whose number is in the title of the thread, you shouldn't open the thread. Spoilers for something in the Meg or elsewhere, cover it up.

I find it pretty irritating when it's just speculation about what's going to happen next in a current story. Partly because they're a pain to read on my phone.

I understand why people do it and it's probably decent etiquette, but it can seem a bit silly when you get spoiler tags around the identity of [spoiler]The Dead Man[/spoiler] or something.
We never really die.

mejustnow

Spurious prediction: I can't see Vienna actually being in her apartment. There's no way Dredd would leave her dangling like that. All those undercover judges are guarding a decoy. PJ's going to get his comeuppance by story end.
SMUSHY PEAS!!!

IndigoPrime

I hope so. There's something unnecessarily crappy about Vienna being offed. Having her eke out a touch of humanity from Dredd has been an interesting development. It'd be horrible to see her go. As for PJ, he's had a good run. (And will probably find some way of slipping through the net anyway, even if Dredd hurls him into a furnace.)

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 29 August, 2016, 12:18:26 PM
(And will probably find some way of slipping through the net anyway, even if Dredd hurls him into a furnace.)

Climactic conveyor belt fight! ©Mark Millar
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Richard

I don't think we've seen Vienna since about four years ago, so I don't think we'd be missing out too much if she was killed off. The impact it would have on Dredd, on the other hand, would be well worth showing, from a story-telling point of view. It's a win-win.

Richard

I've just realised that I'm never going to be able to use, read or hear the phrase "it's a win-win" without thinking of that scene from the second series of Zombo where one of the suicide junkies says to another one "okay, you try to stop him and I'll film it. It's a win-win." I want another series of Zombo, especially as the last series predicted Donald Trump would be president and now that might actually happen.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Richard on 29 August, 2016, 02:36:54 PM
I don't think we've seen Vienna since about four years ago, so I don't think we'd be missing out too much if she was killed off. The impact it would have on Dredd, on the other hand, would be well worth showing, from a story-telling point of view. It's a win-win.
Feels a bit fridge-y to me.

Frank

Vienna's entire existence has been a bit fridgey.

When Wagner brought her back I really hoped it wasn't just a storytelling shortcut to give Dredd something to save every now and again and show his human side.

That's pretty much how she was used, though. We can all think of great moments she made possible, but they're all small, domestic sketches, from the era after Wagner took her off the board by confining her to quarters*.

Rico and especially Beeny offer much more interesting ways to look at ties of blood and conflicting loyalties**, but I'm still not keen on the idea of Call Me Maybe doing a number on Pasternak.

Her death would bring out the cloying sentimentality of her first story, which is always lurking just below the surface of Wagner's writing. Besides, without her in her apartment, where else are all the Fargo clones going to meet up for awkward Christmas dinner?

* I stopped reading just before Blood Trails - is it legitimate to interpret Vienna's resulting agoraphobia as Wagner moving to stop other writers breaking his toys, as happened with Dekker and Guthrie?

** And the beats of early Vienna stories, of Dredd being emotionally unavailable to her, seemed like they would have worked better if they'd come from DeMarco instead

The Enigmatic Dr X

What is the point of the Judge in drag in the first panel of Dredd?

Is it a man in drag? (I don't think so?) Why is she holding a gun only to be told that she won't be armed? Why is it important she changes her voice?

I assume she is somehow going to impersonate PJ?
Lock up your spoons!