Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HdE

Spiderman 2.

Quite honestly, I don't think the first or third movies are up to much in this series - but this one is genuinely great. And it was fun watching it on my old man's brand new MASSIVE TV.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

El Chivo

Berberian Sound Studio

Weirdly cool gore-free tribute to 70's Italian gore-movies (of which i've never seen any)
My favourite bit is [spoiler]The Goblin[/spoiler]

Chi

Pete Wells

Oh God, on the recommendation of a friend, I watched 'The 40 Year Old Virgin.' He said I'd dig the action figure and comics references. It was, without a doubt, the worst film I've ever seen. 

radiator

Was it the extended version? The 40 Year Old Virgin is a great movie IMO, but the extra long version is almost a bad film because its so bloated and overlong.

Pete Wells

Yeah it was. To make it worse, it had the most unpleasant pair of boobs in it I think I've ever seen!

Buttonman

Quote from: Pete Wells on 13 January, 2013, 11:11:04 PM
Yeah it was. To make it worse, it had the most unpleasant pair of boobs in it I think I've ever seen!

What no mirrors in your house?!

Arf arf!

War Witch - Best Foreign film nominee - beware the blog is back! War Witch on the 'W' Blog

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Pete Wells on 13 January, 2013, 10:58:07 PM
Oh God, on the recommendation of a friend, I watched 'The 40 Year Old Virgin.' He said I'd dig the action figure and comics references. It was, without a doubt, the worst film I've ever seen.

Very strange - I thought it was great. Very funny grown up comedy with actual jokes rather than just references to other movies. Steve Carrell is fantastic in it.

COWBOYS AND ALIENS - despite havig a ton of money and talent thrown at it, I think this failed to work because they inexplicably decided to meld genres with the more serious kind of western. This could have been a great romp but was just long and dull (it was an Extended cut but I can't see how nipping a few cenes out of it wouldhave made much difference). 

And also full of nonsensical stuf that didn't appear to make any sense even according to it's own internal "logic".

Olivia Wilde is almost as yummy as Daniel Craig in his skin tight cowboy outfit including chaps - "which is not to be sniffed at".
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Spikes

Well, more like 'last movie half-watched', and that would be Carlos : Part One.
Half-watched because it was work in the morning, but more than that, it looked, and was, fantastic, so i made the decision to turn it off and to search out the BR and do it proper justice.
Bit of googling reveals a 3 disc set that has the three part version along with the theatrical cut. Im buying this anyway, but does anybody have this, and has enjoyed it?

Frank

Quote from: Judge Jack on 14 January, 2013, 04:45:46 PM
Well, more like 'last movie half-watched', and that would be Carlos : Part One. Half-watched because it was work in the morning, but more than that, it looked, and was, fantastic, so i made the decision to turn it off and to search out the BR and do it proper justice. Bit of googling reveals a 3 disc set that has the three part version along with the theatrical cut. Im buying this anyway, but does anybody have this, and has enjoyed it?

I don't have the bluray, but I enjoyed the film. It's really strong on the difference between what Dredd terms (in Total War) the psychos, the dupes and the true believers who get involved with political terror. The major set piece is the hilariously inept hijacking of an OPEC summit and subsequent escape by airliner, but I enjoyed it just as much for the chillingly casual approach to appalling violence and the way Ilich fucks a series of partners throughout the film who are really all the same ascetic European art-girl with a Judge Hershey haircut.

It's too linear and standardly biopic-y for its own good, but it makes a great double bill with The Baader-Meinhof Complex.

MR. ELIMINATOR

Braindead. "I kick arse for the lord!" haha.

JamesC

The Evil Dead

In preparation for the remake I thought I'd watch the original since I hadn't seen it all the way through in about 20 years.

The best thing about this film by a mile is the sense of the evil force. The camera rushing through the woods coupled with the crazy soundwork is really effective.

Other than that the film is pretty ropey and ripe for a remake. There is absolutely no character development whatsoever. Ash is the nice guy, his mate is the brash idiot, the girl who gets upset is the sensitive, sensible one and the other girls are just girlfriend 1 and girlfriend 2. The pace goes off a bit towards the end too. Watching Ash have buckets of blood thrown over him gets a bit boring imho.

I really hope the remake explores these people a little more. I don't mean loads of Dawson's Creek style emoting, but some sense of character would be nice. I can tell the remake is going to be gory but I hope they expand on the psychological horror too.

Hoagy

Rollerball.  James Caan.  I hear the director of the new version just got a suspended sentence for tapping a producers house. He should have got life for his remake of Rollerball.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Hoagy on 17 January, 2013, 01:08:45 PM
Rollerball.  James Caan.  I hear the director of the new version just got a suspended sentence for tapping a producers house. He should have got life for his remake of Rollerball.
Word.

I, Cosh

Red Tails was a pretty cheesy but nonetheless enjoyable take on story of the very small group of black American airmen serving in WWII. A decent cast makes light work of a film which is more concerned with telling a ripping yarn than Private Ryan style realism or making an issue of institutional racism. I found some of the dogfight scenes truly jaw-dropping – this is the assault on the second Death Star with ME109s – but the effects become a lot ropier when the aircraft approach the ground.

I found Berberian Sound Studio a bit of a disappointment. It was undoubtedly well made, has a strong central performance from Toby Jones and shares a similarly intriguing, enigmatic atmosphere to Strickland's previous film Katalin Varga. Unlike that, however, I felt the Lynchian final third left it feeling ultimately empty rather than haunting. I was pretty tired when I watched it though so I may be doing it a disservice.

Finally saw Up when it was on telly the other night and it was everything I'd heard it was supposed to be. Funny and touching in equal measure. There should be more films with curmudgeonly old folks as the hero.

Alien Vs Ninja, on the other hand, wasn't even as good as the title would suggest. A low budget Predator clone which not even the presence of (quoting from the box) "sexy female ninja Rin" with her implausibly tight ninja trousers and obvious directorial orders to always lean forwards or backwards, depending on the angle of the shot, at least 45 degrees could make up for some of the rubbish in this.

In advance of Django Unchained, I managed to catch Reservoir Dogs at the cinema the other night. This has never had the same cult status or heavy rotation on TV as Pulp Fiction. In fact, I don't think I can remember seeing it all the way through since its original release so this was a bit of a treat as it's still a fantastic film. It may be rough around the edges but I don't think that's always a bad thing - it's certainly preferable to being too polished – and it manages to do a lot with a little imagination.

All the recognisable Tarantino trademarks are already in place but haven't yet become something people recognise and criticise him for so what you're left with is a cracking, dialogue-driven thriller which has at its heart the unfolding relationship between Keitel, Roth, Buscemi and Madsen. As I was watching it I couldn't help thinking how easily it would work as a stage play: the flashback introductions would need a bit of planning and beyond that we see almost nothing outside the warehouse.

Tarantino is already fond of long, talky scenes here – sometimes a bit too long, but that's one of those rough edges I mentioned – and, of course, everyone does have a similarly smart mouth. From the very first scene, where Mr Pink's refusal to tip marks him out as the one constantly willing to be a dick about everything, it's great to see the way the different characters are developed through this continual talk.

He really can't act though.
We never really die.

radiator

I bloody love Up. Second only to the Toy Story trilogy in Pixar's catalogue IMO. Lovely, lovely film, and a future classic.