Main Menu

Mega City One population.

Started by redstellini, 22 September, 2013, 11:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

I can't help but thinking that such a catastrophe would have caused a complete and utter economic collapse of MC1. Sure you still have robots and computers and stuff running the infrastructure that wasn't destroyed in the riot but surely capitalist economies can't survive 7/8ths of teh consumer base disappearing effectively overnight?

Why haven't we seen these sort of effects in the strip?

Oh yeah, it would be a really boring story.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Molch-R

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 04 October, 2013, 12:25:17 PM

That sentence made me laugh.

Skullmo

Every time someone sneezes on the tube I think of the Chaos bug :(
It's a joke. I was joking.

shaolin_monkey

I can't help but thinking that such a catastrophe would have caused a complete and utter economic collapse of MC1. Sure you still have robots and computers and stuff running the infrastructure that wasn't destroyed in the riot but surely capitalist economies can't survive 7/8ths of teh consumer base disappearing effectively overnight?

I dunno, I thought that story with Maitland and Dredd discussing Justice Depts massive overspend in the wake of Chaos Day was really good!

James Stacey

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 04 October, 2013, 01:31:42 PM
I dunno, I thought that story with Maitland and Dredd discussing Justice Depts massive overspend in the wake of Chaos Day was really good!
It was, but would it have been good repeated the second week, the next month?

Skullmo

I thought that would have been a really good story as well - with any sort of setback like that you would expect that the city would have to turn to external investment and encouraging investment.

Full of action that!
It's a joke. I was joking.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: James Stacey on 04 October, 2013, 01:45:08 PM
Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 04 October, 2013, 01:31:42 PM
It was, but would it have been good repeated the second week, the next month?

When a country's economy collapses, what are the results? Starvation, rioting, black markets, gangsterism, political upheaval, muggings, theft, mob rule - all of these things would make very interesting stories, particularly given the depleted Justice Dept.

Dark Jimbo

I was really hoping for a one-off along the likes of 'Bob's Law' at some point - the top bods of Justice Department thrashing out between them the new in and outs of the city, centralising the new reduced population, deciding which sectors to abandon, etc.

Then you've got the sudden imbalance in the numbers of humans compared to robots (presumably most of which survived Chaos Day), mutants (especially interesting given the Tour of Duty stuff) and the apes of Apetown (which presumably weathered CD fairly well as we've not heard anything to the contrary.) Lots of interesting new dynamics to explore.
@jamesfeistdraws

TordelBack

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 04 October, 2013, 05:17:55 PMStarvation, rioting, black markets, gangsterism, political upheaval, muggings, theft, mob rule - all of these things would make very interesting stories, particularly given the depleted Justice Dept.

Starvation:  Wolves, Progs 1820-22; Debris Progs 1792-96
Riots: What, more riots?  Okay, try Wolves again. 
Black markets: Addressed at length after previous disaster epics, not really addressed here yet.
Gangsterism: Most weeks, but try Wastelands, Prog 1837-1841 and Bender, 1845-9
Political Upheaval: Trifecta, Prog 1812; Innocent,  Progs 1798-99
Muggings and theft: every sodding week for 36 years.
Mob Rule: Debris, Prog 1792-96

To your list you could add:
Post-traumatic stress and depression: Suicide Watch, Progs 1826-9, The Forsaken
Progs 1830-1835, and Bender, 1845-9.

I get the point, and I agree, the repercussions should be more profound than anything we've seen so far.  But you can't say the writers haven't at least started to address most aspects of the aftermath that you outline, and more.

Proudhuff

Not with Maitland in charge and the E-Wing droid in the chair!
DDT did a job on me

Dandontdare

Fragminion

With all the potential open spaces and far less dense population, I wonder how much the surviving pop would suffer from things like agoraphobia or types of monophobia?

Or has this already been touched on?

I hate being a newbie.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Fragminion on 05 October, 2013, 03:19:37 AM
With all the potential open spaces and far less dense population, I wonder how much the surviving pop would suffer from things like agoraphobia or types of monophobia?

Or has this already been touched on?

I hate being a newbie.

not yet but there has been a couple of tales about ghosts real/imagined and death cults
DDT did a job on me

Mardroid

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 04 October, 2013, 05:35:27 PM
the apes of Apetown (which presumably weathered CD fairly well as we've not heard anything to the contrary.)

Tourists who go to see gorillas in the wild have to be vetted in case they have colds/flu, etc because the gorillas are so close to us genetically they can catch much the same viruses. Except it's worse for them of course as they don't have our resistance.

So the chimps and gorillas are likely to have been decimated by the chaos bug too. Unless the biogengineers were extremely specific in defining their target base in the organism, which I doubt.

Of course I'm talking about if the chaos bug were released in a realistic situation, the 2000 AD writers might not know this. So the apes might be just dandy-dory after all.

*Not the correct term, as we're talking about a biological organism rather than a machine, but I'm sure you get what I mean.

Bubba Zebill

Isn't it also possible they could catch it and carry it but not become sick only to pass it back into the human population?
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105