Main Menu

Hello~!

Started by Henna_Lawsonia, 03 November, 2016, 10:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henna_Lawsonia

Hello, my name is Henna! Nice to meet you!   :wave:

I'm a somewhat quiet character, often due to working a full-time customer service job most of the week. When I'm not snowed under with work and sleep, I'm an (occasional) artist and writer, and I play at composing music sometimes. Mainly, though, I'm a textile crafter, and I can often be found figuring out how to assemble costumes and props from comic books/movies.

Which brings me to the more important point -- I'm a Judge Dredd fan. I was introduced to it about a year ago, and it quickly became a favorite. I have not really branched out much into the other comics of the 2000AD line, but likely will soon.

My current short-term goal is compiling a full printable Mega City 1 Book of Law. (Making good progress on it, too -- but I'm stuck on a few things and might need some help from comic collectors...) My current long-term goals include building a collection of comics (and also the RPG books if I can find them), and somehow purchasing or making my own props from the Dredd series.

Looking forward to talking with you all!

Colin YNWA

Welcome aboard. Glad you have found the world pf Dredd and don't leave it too long until you branch out to the rest of 2000ad there's a world of great stuff out there.

Have fun.

Spaceghost

Hi Henna. Welcome!

If you're looking for more 2000 AD stuff to get into, you'd probably like Judge Anderson and Strontium Dog. Both written by the same writers as Dredd and both collected in Case Files style books.

Out of interest, how were you introduced to the world of Judge Dredd?
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Henna_Lawsonia

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I have actually read some Judge Anderson, and like that too -- haven't tried Strontium Dog yet, though. That will be next on my list to check, thanks Spaceghost!

As for how I got into it... Technically it was way over a year ago.

I'll admit that I saw the '95 film when I was a kid, and enjoyed it (though even then I considered it to be a bit camp) but I really had no frame of reference. Then many years later I stumbled across the 2012 Dredd movie and loved the more realistic atmosphere and how the character was approached. I read reviews where people were praising that it held truer to the comic books, and that got me started reading. Liked the comics even better than the movie, and haven't stopped since. And I have a lot to catch up on still.  :lol:

dweezil2

Welcome to the board Henna!
May I also highly recommend Halo Jones as future reading material!

Enjoy the lively discussion and all the great comics!  :)
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

sheridan

Quote from: Henna_Lawsonia on 03 November, 2016, 10:52:06 PM
Hello, my name is Henna! Nice to meet you!   :wave:
Hi Henna, welcome to the 2000AD forum!

QuoteI'm a somewhat quiet character, often due to working a full-time customer service job most of the week. When I'm not snowed under with work and sleep, I'm an (occasional) artist and writer, and I play at composing music sometimes. Mainly, though, I'm a textile crafter, and I can often be found figuring out how to assemble costumes and props from comic books/movies.
As well as cosplay(?) and prop-building, what do you write and create art-wise?

QuoteMy current short-term goal is compiling a full printable Mega City 1 Book of Law. (Making good progress on it, too -- but I'm stuck on a few things and might need some help from comic collectors...) My current long-term goals include building a collection of comics (and also the RPG books if I can find them), and somehow purchasing or making my own props from the Dredd series.
What form does the Book of Law take?  Delving in to the progs and taking all references to the law from them?  Or am I missing the point?

Which RPGs do you already play?  I alternate between D20/D&D 3.5 and D&D 5th edition.  There was a Judge Dredd RPG based on D20, but the most recent one is based on Traveller.

Henna_Lawsonia

In addition to cosplay, I write and draw comic books (as a hobby), and I also dabble in graphics for web design.

The book of law is going to be a physical hardcopy book. I'm going though all the progs and RPG references I can find to compile the laws and sentences. The only problem I've really run into so far is that every time the number of a law is referenced, it either changes from a previous reference, or doesn't quite line up in the 'category' it goes under. Unfortunately for my accuracy-oriented preferences, I might have to retool the numbers so they line up correctly. Also, I don't have than many progs right now, so I don't have those references yet.

As for the RPG, I would like to get both the D20 and Traveller books -- but no matter how much I like RPG games like them, I have no one to play with.

sheridan

I missed your reply at the time, sorry.

Quote from: Henna_Lawsonia on 08 November, 2016, 11:44:12 AM
In addition to cosplay, I write and draw comic books (as a hobby), and I also dabble in graphics for web design.

The book of law is going to be a physical hardcopy book. I'm going though all the progs and RPG references I can find to compile the laws and sentences. The only problem I've really run into so far is that every time the number of a law is referenced, it either changes from a previous reference, or doesn't quite line up in the 'category' it goes under. Unfortunately for my accuracy-oriented preferences, I might have to retool the numbers so they line up correctly. Also, I don't have than many progs right now, so I don't have those references yet.

How's the Book of Law coming along?  Maybe this wiki page might help?
QuoteAs for the RPG, I would like to get both the D20 and Traveller books -- but no matter how much I like RPG games like them, I have no one to play with.

It didn't take me long to fill in the gaps of my RPG collection (though I've only concentrated on the Games Workshop JD and the main rulebooks for the other games).