Main Menu

Doctor Who Season 9

Started by Goaty, 09 July, 2015, 10:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: dweezil2 on 29 November, 2015, 09:40:06 PM
The previous episodes in the series.

Hilarious.

Compared to which previous series of Dr Who is this one sub-par?

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 29 November, 2015, 10:23:26 PM
Compared to which previous series of Dr Who is this one sub-par?

That sounds much snottier than I intended — my apologies. I'm genuinely curious — I thought Season 8 was very mixed, with some really top quality episodes set against some absolute stinkers; the whole of Matt Smith's run was over-complicated, over-plotted, and routinely failed to deliver on its supposed cleverness (and I really liked Smith's Doctor)...

I liked the Ecclestone series overall, and I think the Donna Noble series of Tennant's run worked because it dispensed with the romantic undercurrent between Doctor and companion, but on reflection, they've all been pretty patchy, IMO.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

dweezil2

Ha, ha!

I didn't mean to sound facetious either Jim.

For some reason this series hasn't really grabbed me-maybe I'm sufering from Who fatigue!

I really like Capaldi as the Doctor, but just feel like a lot of recent episodes have let him down and tend to plod along.

Heaven Sent was a great episode though.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Proudhuff

Well that was the best Who I've seen in a long time, never been a Moffat fan, but that was top notch.
DDT did a job on me

Colin YNWA

Well this is certainly going to stir-up discussion... or not... Peter Jackson, will he, won't he...

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/11/30/peter-jackson-signing-on-for-doctor-who-with-peter-capaldi/

James Stacey

After the Hobbit movies, I'm more concerned by the meaningfully marked up copy of the Silmarillion on his table in front of him

Professor Bear

Playing catch-up after the first part of the dreadful Zygon two-parter put me off the show for a few weeks.  Second part was okay, but pretty much amounted to some people talking in a room and then saying things were fixed so everything is okay now.  For some reason.
The dream monsters one ironically near put me to sleep, and I don't think it ever recovered from lapsing into Sheer Wankery territory when the Doctor announced that Pixie Dust was to blame for everything and then solved the problem by blowing it up - you know, like he never does with problems and usually goes to great lengths to avoid doing.  The character tried to speak through the tv to me - personally - and reassure me that he too thought the story made no sense, shortly before he escaped into what I presume he hopes is a much better episode, which looks to be shot on a Harry Potter set for some reason.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 30 November, 2015, 12:51:14 PM
Well this is certainly going to stir-up discussion... or not... Peter Jackson, will he, won't he...

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/11/30/peter-jackson-signing-on-for-doctor-who-with-peter-capaldi/

I've often said I miss the slower 4 and 6 part stories that we used to have, but I shudder to imagine a Jacksonesque  nine-hour dalek story.

pauljholden

There's one bit that I missed (somehow)

[spoiler]The round bit of ground inside the castle, with the arrows pointing to it - what was that about? did the doctor dig there and I missed it or something? (might have done, my wife was busy reading out Facebook status updates about how terrible the episode was, which was not my thinking at all)[/spoiler]

Dandontdare

No I don't think that bit was explained at all. [spoiler]unless it was a "map" showing him where in the castle the grave was that he dug up, but no reason why that should be a hexagonal bit of bare earth.[/spoiler]

M.I.K.

I think it might have been [spoiler]a tunnel for the scary cloak beasty. You see Cloaky heading towards it after the Doctor props the door shut with the spade, and when he goes back to digging he hits the same kind of stone, (with flashback linking the other location for emphasis), and then the beasty jumps out the side of the grave at him.[/spoiler]

Modern Panther

I had taken it to be a [spoiler]map, since the pattern matches the 'grave' area...but the treasure hunt aspect seemed bizarre, since most of these clues were apparently build into the castle in the first place, allowing for an escape but deliberately requiring (assuming 2 days each) 365 billion individual doctors to solve the puzzle.   [/spoiler]

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Goaty on 29 November, 2015, 03:40:14 PM
Here's better trailer for next week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yak3ujqxDw

So, think that's Rose in the barn? That's where the bomb was activate in the 50th special, isn't it?
Lock up your spoons!

TordelBack

Quote from: James Stacey on 30 November, 2015, 01:36:16 PM
After the Hobbit movies, I'm more concerned by the meaningfully marked up copy of the Silmarillion on his table in front of him

Magnificent trolling on his part, I suspect. Although I've been known to remark that The Silmarillion would suit the OTT style of his Hobbit flicks far, far better than The Hobbit itself did. 

CrazyFoxMachine

Lady Geoffery who's far better versed on these things than I said that it's often a running joke that he has visibly earmarked copies of Tolkien books around the place, none of which he hopes to adapt....

......although he never intended to do the Hobbit so...  :-\