Main Menu

prog 1814 the martian monocles

Started by JUDGE BURNS, 05 January, 2013, 12:29:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JUDGE BURNS

Hey  thats 2 weeks running am first with the latest prog news. :D

Funny , tongue in cheek frontcover by Simon Davis of Ampney and a martian ambassador.

Dredd:  just like to commend on Peter Doherty SUPERB art. I have always liked his attention to detail.

Red Seas:  plodding along nicely.

Savage.   great centre fold pic( ooerr)  of the Hammerstein robots in action.

Ampney and Strontium Dog are okay , I will read them when they are complete.

Overeall   8/10

Steve Green

The promise of [spoiler]alternate Cameron, Osborne and Boris coming to a sticky end in Savage fills me with hope[/spoiler]

vzzbux

Quote from: Steve Green on 05 January, 2013, 12:36:43 PM
The promise of [spoiler]alternate Cameron, Osborne and Boris coming to a sticky end in Savage fills me with hope[/spoiler]
You have to remember Public schoolboy isn't just Tory. Many Labour piers are of the same ilk who pretend they have our best interests at heart. Many people seem to forget or don't realise this. But lets just leave that for the political thread.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Steve Green

hippynumber1

My Saturday RUINED by not having my Prog arrive today...  :'(

JUDGE BURNS

In case anyone is wondering , Ampney Crucis is NOT using a Masonic handshake with the Martian Ambassador on this weeks cover...    :D

Shhh   its a secret !

Colin YNWA

Well we are in almost as good a form as last week. Everything continues pretty much as you were and its all good stuff. Not really a duff note in the lot.

One thing of note to me is the comparison between the two magnificent splashes this week. Both are really good, but were as Patrick Goddard seems to be, deservedly, hailed by all, Steve Yeowell can come into flak from some quarters, wonky thinking quarters it has to be said, but still. Now on the surface the Goddard Savage splash seems to be the 'winner' (clearly its not really a competition  but work with me here), its got the detail, its got the 'cool' factor, loads of chuffin' robots is indeed cool enough. For me however the Yeowell piece that takes the day. It carries (no pun intended) such a an epic scope in the way the Goddard one doesn't quite manage as well. Its simpler but all the more for it. Its powerful and potent its simply magnificent and you feel the weight bearing down on those giants and what giants they are. Its a great example of why Yeowell is such a magnificent artist, he knows how much to use or not use, what needs to be shown to convey any number of things perfectly. Who cares if sometimes he lacks 'detail', backgrounds or loads of little lines. What he places on the page, however minimal sometimes, is just perfect, its efficient, he can be one of the Hemingways of comic art. His work has a confidence not to get littered and distracted. Its just magnificent.

Anyway meandering asides apart great Prog.

Proudhuff

A strangely fine prog, the total being more than the sum of its parts,where else would you get megacity, liverpool, hell, martians and muties all in one go?

Artwork and stories all doing what they should.  Looking forward to next weeks already.
DDT did a job on me

Fisticuffs

Loved the 'Richochet' shot in Dredd, comedy gold. :)

Proudhuff

Quote from: Fisticuffs on 06 January, 2013, 07:31:26 PM
Loved the 'Richochet' shot in Dredd, comedy gold. :)

Always wondered if that shot was a bit random, enclosed spaces maybe, but a plaza? Time for the long walk
DDT did a job on me

The Adventurer

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Taryn Tailz

Quote from: The Adventurer on 07 January, 2013, 11:39:56 PM
Prog 1814 Preview for those who might be interested (that I reposted in the wrong thread earlier. Opps)

Thanks.  :)

I have to say that's an early contender for cover of the year. Fantastic.

Colin YNWA

Its a great cover, but I find it a bit weird the way it almost obliterates the logo. I'm guessing the 2 from the smaller logo, the circles around the heads and the surviving '0' of the big logo are meant to make up 2000ad but doesn't quite work for me. Shame as the painting itself is glorious.

sheldipez

Quote from: The Adventurer on 07 January, 2013, 11:39:56 PM
Prog 1814 Preview for those who might be interested (that I reposted in the wrong thread earlier. Opps)

That is a great looking cover! 24 hours to go until this one is in my grubby hands..

Steve Green

Yeah, the logo covering is a bit odd - would have been cool to have the circles transparent and magnifying the logo behind, also made a bit more sense with the monocles gag...

Although Ampney's the only one who's actually wearing one isn't he?