Main Menu

Dredd in america....err again

Started by The Monarch, 28 June, 2008, 05:19:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Dredd is Dredd you either get it or you don't so the most honest and less conflicting option is to repackage the weekly Dredd as a monthly, somewhat like the old Eagle versions, but up to date with the weekly strips. One of the great things, still, about Dredd is that he's still in his own universe and not a reboot.

Of course if they are going to do it, it will be a reboot of sorts. Ennis, I'm still unsure about. Monkey on my back is highly enjoyable but it isn't character defining like Wagner every time he writes the most basic Dredds. That's what worries me.

nameuser

In an ideal world a new Dredd movie would be better than a new American Dredd comic - if not a Dredd movie then a CGI tv show. Comics have a small readership compared to the audience for film and tv. I predict Garth Ennis will alienate a lot of Dredd fans and the idea Ennis will be Wagner's consultant is kinda insulting. Wagner's been writing Dredd for over three decades, Ennis wrote Dredd for what? - less than two. Something like that. Bit rich having Ennis as Dredd consultant!

Maybe Ennis will tell Wagner to add a few more "drokks" into the dialogue.  :P

Rio De Fideldo

Ideally the only change I'd like to see with these monthlies would be the story telling discipline ie instead of pacing the strip based on the assumption it will be seven pages long it will be written with twenty-two pages in mind.

nameuser

QuoteIdeally the only change I'd like to see with these monthlies would be the story telling discipline ie instead of pacing the strip based on the assumption it will be seven pages long it will be written with twenty-two pages in mind.

This has already happened, Richard.

The first DC Legends of the Law story was by Wagner and Grant. It was your typical Dredd story stretched to fit the extended page format. It was quite funny. It featured a homicidal singing organlegger:

http://www.escapecomics.com/acatalog/Ju ... e_Law.html

Rio De Fideldo

Yeah I read that and it featured a young Cassie Anderson iirc.

Not a fan of this series particularly as they were just normal Dredd stories stretched. I suppose what I expect to see is more ongoing subplots in a monthly strip, with a villain/issue of the month and a steady reveal of a big bad every twelve issues or so. This seems to be the norm with the American comic model.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: "Richard Field"Yeah I read that and it featured a young Cassie Anderson iirc.

Not a fan of this series particularly as they were just normal Dredd stories stretched.

which is what most Marvel and DC comics are. We get more in 4 installments of Dredd than most get in their monthlies.

TordelBack

Too true!  Can you imagine the first four episodes of the current Edgar story under one US cover?  That's at least 3 issues of Fables right there, and that's one of the good ones.

DavidXBrunt

It's John Wagner. It's Dredd. And you're questioning whether that will work or not.

How does that all ad up.

The Adventurer

Quote from: "DavidXBrunt"It's John Wagner. It's Dredd. And you're questioning whether that will work or not.

How does that all ad up.

Because we're talking an american comic company that doesn't really know how to do good licensed comics, even though that's their bread and butter. This is going to have so many editorial fingers in the proverbial pie...

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

IndigoPrime

Plus, frankly, the last Wagner-penned US Dredd really wasn't that good.

Buddy

QuoteDynamite's plans to involve Ennis (who's written many classic Dredd stories in the past)

Err... can someone remind me of Ennis' classic Dredd stories.

nameuser

The one with the perp that spitted. That was dead good that was.  :mrgreen:

I think his best one was the story set about Justice 1 or whatever the spaceship is called. It was a murder mystery. Art by Peter Doherty. That was pretty good. And he did write the story where Dredd killed Chief Judge Silver. Can't remember if it was any good but it was a key moment in Dredd history. Silver was a zombie and Dredd killed him. Dredd's killed a few Chief Judges in his time. Must be his tight boots annoying him.

Slippery PD

Quote from: "Uncle Umpty"
QuoteDynamite's plans to involve Ennis (who's written many classic Dredd stories in the past)

Err... can someone remind me of Ennis' classic Dredd stories.

In fairness to Ennis, with the exception of Rennie, no one else has managed to get Dredd apart from Wagner.  Id say that its worth giving Ennis a go, his stories are slowly becoming better and lets be honest he's no Mark Millar  :lol:

Robo-K33F

Hello everyone.  The Dynamite announcement to publish Dredd in the US was made prematurely.  We are still only in the process of negotiating a deal with them and no firm decisions have been made on who will be writing/illustrating anything.  Garth put Dynamite in touch with us, and that is the extent of his involvement thus far.

If and when any deal is done, we will post details up on the news section.

Robo-K33F

TordelBack

Good man that robo-Keef.  Spoken with the voice of Brian Glover if I'm not mistaken.