Main Menu

What Psi powers have been used in Judge Dredd?

Started by elberon, 25 August, 2015, 04:22:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacqusie

Pre-cogs - A rather inept and strange inabilty to predict much of anything really...

I think I could become a Pre-cognitive Judge by randomly stating each month that; "a big threat to the city will happen soon, bad things will happen involving people, judges and ummm... not nice things"

...do I get the job?

Big_Dave

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 25 August, 2015, 09:17:21 PM
Plot Propulsion

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Teh cadet anderson stories featured trainee psis with loads of odd powers the one I remember most was the invisible girl which led to discussion of wither she could actually make herself invisible or weather she messed with minds so perps just think they cant see her

TordelBack

Good one, Big Dave. Can't Anderson feck with electronic surveillance too? Or is that just Hamida?

Colin YNWA

To be honest the answer is by and large pretty much whatever the plot requires. It seems to be pretty flexible and open to interruption. Weren't the Samurai, in the brilliant 'The Warlord', Psi Projections of some form or other and they had cool ninja throwing stars and stuff. Or am I miss remembering the Psi stuff there was just [spoiler]how they were dispatched?[/spoiler]

elberon

Hi there
many thanks to everyone for their recollections and time in replying

Chris

Tombo

Quote from: Greg M. on 25 August, 2015, 07:46:43 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 25 August, 2015, 07:29:40 PM
I'd like to see a story about how all that psi power came about between now and dredd's time.

You'd think it was some kind of mutation caused by the Atomic War - except that the likes of Ecks and Shenker were alive before that happened. Psychic powers probably originally derived from the aliens in the Anderson story 'Childhood's End', and just took a long time to fully emerge in humanity.

One of the 2057 flashback scenes in Origins mentions the founding of PSI-Division long before the Atomic War, maybe earlier atomic explosions and accidents kick-started the process and the Atomic War sped the process up.

Tiplodocus

There were those Psi Judges that used their powers but then made you forget they existed.

I think.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Big_Dave

In teh Doomsday epic Anderson tells Dredd shes been working on something new - THOUGHT PROJECTION - and plants a suggestion in minds of their guards that one should go to sleep and the other should open door to their cell

Later in Doomsday epic Andersnon does THOUGHT PROJECTION again when she convinces guy on Atlas ship to go for walk and bring extra security passes.
She also uses TELEPATHY like radio or cell phone to speak to other ship when comms are jammed

TordelBack

Quote from: Big_Dave on 28 August, 2015, 05:59:17 PM

She also uses TELEPATHY like radio or cell phone to speak to other ship when comms are jammed

She employs something similar to draw Cadet Ecks (?) and Dredd to her in Necropolis.

Greg M.

Ekerson. Close though. Ecks was the early Psi-Div head.

(Apologies for my pedantic bastardry. As ever.)

Big_Dave

Dandontdare

Quote from: Greg M. on 28 August, 2015, 09:30:22 PM

Never apologise

We come here for the thrillpower

We stay for the pedantic bastardry

Jacqusie

Quote from: Big_Dave on 28 August, 2015, 09:47:41 PM
Planeting images in others minds

Ahh the wonderful Barry Kitson... I loved his Anderson, Dredd and anything else really!

Wonder what ever happened to him?

TordelBack

Quote from: Dandontdare on 29 August, 2015, 01:12:01 AM
Quote from: Greg M. on 28 August, 2015, 09:30:22 PM

Never apologise

We come here for the thrillpower

We stay for the pedantic bastardry

S'right. If not lovingly but firmly corrected, how will we ever learn?

sheridan

Quote from: Jacqusie on 29 August, 2015, 01:21:07 AM
Quote from: Big_Dave on 28 August, 2015, 09:47:41 PM
Planeting images in others minds

Ahh the wonderful Barry Kitson... I loved his Anderson, Dredd and anything else really!

Wonder what ever happened to him?

Working for DC since the late eighties (latest work on wikipedia is two years ago).