Main Menu

Thoughts on the fall of deadworld?

Started by marko10174, 29 March, 2017, 02:19:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marko10174

God I love this strip! what a great idea, to show us how the dark judges actually managed to wipe out their planet. The art work is fantastic, the characters are likeable, and hopefully it continues to impress. The only concern I would have for it is that it might mess with the continuity of the dark judges timeline, but hopefully not.

Nic_Freeman

Yup, I agree it's a gem. I'm finding the new run easier to follow than the first too. That would be my only minor criticism, the first run was quite hard to follow in places.

I know the art won't be to everyone's tastes, but I think the muted palette and free style of painting are very evocative.

NapalmKev

Yeah, I like it. Enjoyed both previous stories as well.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Dandontdare

Regarding last issue, I'm glad we're starting to see more of the Dark Judges themselves, and I had a thought about how this may go - I think maybe [spoiler]Fairfax will end up becoming Judge Fear. All that flashback stuff about about his psychological triggers during training and that Sidney took him under his wing - maybe  as Deadworld falls he will be forced to "gaze into the face of" his darkest fears and this will push him over the edge, at which point Sidney will welcome him back into the fold. He may end us as Fire or Mortis, but if it's any of them I'd bet Fear[/spoiler]

And the art is jaw-droppingly good. I enjoyed Tales of Deadworld more than the first series of Fall, but it's all good man, it's all good!

Link Prime

Quote from: Dandontdare on 29 March, 2017, 03:15:10 PM
Regarding last issue, I'm glad we're starting to see more of the Dark Judges themselves, and I had a thought about how this may go - I think maybe [spoiler]Fairfax will end up becoming Judge Fear. All that flashback stuff about about his psychological triggers during training and that Sidney took him under his wing - maybe  as Deadworld falls he will be forced to "gaze into the face of" his darkest fears and this will push him over the edge, at which point Sidney will welcome him back into the fold. He may end us as Fire or Mortis, but if it's any of them I'd bet Fear[/spoiler]

You could be onto something DDD.
As an aside, when I asked Dave 'chronicler of the damned' Kendall for a sketch at the 40th bash I requested [spoiler]Fairfax or a Dark Judge of his choosing. "I'll do a Fear for you so"[/spoiler] was the implicit response.

Of course, Fairfax cannot be Judge Fire- in a plot twist so hackneyed it would make Stan Lee blush, it was previously revealed that he was originally some dude named Fuego.

Bolt-01

My main thought for this is just how good a vehicle it is for Dave K. I've loved his work for many years and I am chuffed to bits that he's finally getting to show what he can do.

Hawkmumbler

Deadworld is Lone Wolf and Cub in a post apocalyptic alternative Dreddverse. Add the masters that are Kek-W and Dave Kendal into the mix and you have the story that keeps on giving. An absolute gem I will look forward to reading, and re-reading, for many years.

marko10174

I'm glad to hear people are appreciating this strip as much as I am. It's my favourite current story (though I can't wait to see how hope for the future pans out).

JayzusB.Christ

I must be honest, in the last few years i haven't been as prog-obsessed as i used to be; losing track of storylines, skipping the odd story, that kind of thing. Maybe I'm just getting old.

But i love Deadworld. As a Deadworld origin story I'd have to say I'm far more fond of it than I was of Young Death.  It's amazing that a writer could breathe so much new, er, life into characters that John Wagner seemed to have pushed about as far as they could go.

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

AlexF

It's about the bleakest thing ever published in 2000AD, which is no mean feat.
And, as Bolt says, is a perfect fit for Dave Kendall's art.
The whole thing has a tone that reminds me a lot of John Carpenter's so-called 'Apocalypse Trilogy' - The Thing, They Live and Prince of Darkness, crackers all.
In short, my thoughts are that I like it a lot, but I wouldn't want to go there on holiday.

Smith

Wasnt Fuego Judge Fire?Because Fuego means Fire and all that...

Steve Green

I really like it, the work that Dave puts into the concept art is astonishing, worthy of a book by itself.

sheridan

Nothing to add except, what other people have said.

Nice theory Dandontdare, I won't be able to read future episodes without wondering...

Hawkmumbler

We saw Fear in the first run of Deadworld though, interrogating some poor sod in the most hideous of ways.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: AlexF on 30 March, 2017, 09:56:18 AM
It's about the bleakest thing ever published in 2000AD, which is no mean feat.

I would say that the also-excellent Cradlegrave tips it there.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"