Main Menu

Recent posts

Books & Comics / Re: Completely Self-absorbed T...
Last post by AlexF - Today at 11:36:45 AM
Very well argued! I have no stake in the X-Men - I was always more of a New Mutants kid. The X-Men pinged off me I think precisely because they're designed to speak to the outsiders of the world, and frankly I can't claim to have ever seen myself as an outsider (except maybe as a fan of comics in general, which even now in the era of geek is still niche).

I did eventaully read pretty much all the Claremont stuff as an adult, thanks to the Panini Pocket Books (excellent value comics in small size!), and it's good clean superhero soap opera comics. I think I like it a fair bit more than you, Colin, althoguh I cannot argue with your observation that Claremont overwrites and underlines where Wagner might just have a silent panel...

In terms of 'importance', I guess for me it's that Claremont may have been the first superhero comics guy who managed to sneak in issues here and there that were pretty much just characters hanging around and chatting, or a single character going on some dreamlike empitional journey (LifeDeath) and those ARE the best ones, especially the 'Classic X-Men' back ups. But I find these were more of a signpost to me that I should read more Vertigo comics, that do this kind of thing better, and in more depth.

Everyone knows that Nightcrawler is the best, right? He just looks (and, frankly, acts) cooler than any other Marvel character by miles.
Books & Comics / Re: FALCON - Tabloid Anthology...
Last post by Bad City Blue - Today at 11:28:24 AM
Well, Issue 1 has been a great success (and will be at LAWLESS in May). Copies available from me for £9 posted in the UK.

Here's a preview of the cover for Issue 2, which will contain a few darker stories for halloween (and the usual old tat)

Announcements / Re: The 2000 AD Thrill-Cast - ...
Last post by Proudhuff - Today at 10:47:26 AM
Quote from: Le Fink on Today at 08:53:51 AMI'm listening to the Lowborn High creator interview. It was commissioned specifically for Regened as "a working class Hogwarts". I was surprised to learn Tharg commissioned those 20 page episodes as 20 page episodes.
That could have been so good, dark and creepy...
Film & TV / Re: Apple TV Neuromancer Serie...
Last post by Proudhuff - Today at 10:45:52 AM
Why is all the good stuff on channels like this and never ever make it toeven netfilx/prime never mind cooncil telly   :(
Prog / Re: Prog 2379 - Humanity on th...
Last post by IndigoPrime - Today at 10:41:13 AM
I'm very close to fighting with norton cranes block this week. But let's not gloss over that cover, which is great – an excellent mix of sci-fi and horror.

Dredd vs Shako continues to be a blast, even if there's almost no Shako this week. (Boo!) But, yes, Dredd is being a bit of a dolt at times here. It does sometimes feel like there's a balance to be struck between 'Dredd can tackle anything' and 'Dredd is less effective out of his element', but this episode is trying to do both. Still great, mind.

Aquila has gone for full-on epic fantasy scrap, and I'm all for that. Brink is its usual excellent self, in every way. I'm thinking this has to be a top-tier thrill now, surely? Even if I imagine Kurtis will never make it on to one of those covers depicting Dredd, Rogue, Sláine, Johnny Alpha et all.

For me, Indigo Prime is the only blot in the Prog this week. It feels a bit too much like a certain kind of improv music that I used to partake in myself, which was an awful lot of fun to do, but less fun for anyone else to experience. For me, this entire run has been bouncing back and forth across a barrier of interesting|don't:care. And while I find some of its meta points interesting, I'm not sure I care about any of it. And when I think back to something like Killing Time, that wasn't the case.

As for caring, though: Proteus Vex. Yikes. A rip-roaring episode that should stop people griping that the strip is getting a bit talky. But that final page. Who knows if that means what it looks like on the page. I sure hope not. I guess we'll find out next week!

Quality Proggage, though. Tharg's been on something of a top-notch run of late.
Last post by norton canes - Today at 10:38:30 AM
Quote from: norton canes on Today at 10:29:03 AMAquila is thrillingly epic - that nude scene's certainly an eye-opener! It's a shame my CBR reader displays the double spread as separate pages

Sorry, should just clarify that by 'double spread' I mean the face-off before the battle, not the nudity : )
Games / Re: Gamebooks
Last post by Barrington Boots - Today at 10:38:00 AM
Sorry you didn't enjoy Nightshift, especially as I'm pretty sure I hyped it up.

I found it very compelling but you're right, the path through it is very tight and very Livingstone-y: I think I used a map from the authors website in the end to get through it as it's easy to get lost.
As a general rule I much, much prefer a gamebook with multiple paths through and where lacking items makes the book harder rather than the sort of Deathtrap Dungeon-y shopping list and if you're lacking one essential you lose... a bit like Master of Chaos really!

(You're right about the Dark Elf in MoC btw - you can find him in Ashkyros and if I had, it would have made the last encounter with him a bit more meaningful. He also gives you an item that can stop you getting beaten up in Rahasta)

Funnily enough I've been playing The Huntress books from Magnamund and they have so many multiple paths in places that I've found it a bit nerve-wracking. Having been conditioned by gamebooks to be following what is usually a very linear path to success, having a book constantly asking me if I've got things or have met people and then allowing me to continue without dying when I haven't fills me with a sort of dread that I've made an error somewhere and the axe is ready to fall.
Last post by norton canes - Today at 10:29:03 AM
Yeah once again the prog is firing on all cylinders. Okay, most cylinders (sorry, Indigo Prime). R&TWT&T takes a breather but I'm sure the action will be back soon, so I'll bear with it. I get Dredd's motivation for attacking their guide but I'm not convinced he'd eliminate them while they were all still trapped in the wilderness. While Moon is obviosly being shown as a resourceful cadet, it's important that isn't demonstrated by Dredd becoming stupid.

Aquila is thrillingly epic - that nude scene's certainly an eye-opener! It's a shame my CBR reader displays the double spread as separate pages. I'm sure that if I adjust the settings when I'll be able to put them together. Brink is for now just building the layers of intrigue, of course. It's certainly the only strip which could possibly finish on the cliff-hanger "You know we got golf here, right?".

Running out of superlatives for Proteus Vex.
General / Re: Mega City Book Club - a ne...
Last post by Sean SD - Today at 09:55:41 AM
Enjoyed that episode Eamonn.

Got a digital copy of the book off Amazon.
Looking forward to checking out some more 70s comics  :)

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 21 April, 2024, 08:26:08 AM

Colin Maxwell joins me to discuss a recent reprint of the first Codename Warlord stories from DC Thomson.
Find the collection here
https://www.dcthomsonshop.co.uk/commando-comics-codename-warlord-book
And the episode here
https://megacitybookclub.blogspot.com/2024/04/259-codename-warlord.html
And here
https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/mega-city-book-club/id1116473423?i=1000653081464