Main Menu

Judge Dredd cover painting, prog 1150

Started by lusignon, 04 January, 2013, 11:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lusignon

After relisting for a year on ebay I've decided not to bother ever again. Its a reluctant sale anyway. This is the last time it will be available. After that it will become an heirloom!
Description here of what is on offer.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290816534282?ssPageName=STRK:MEUSX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1560.l2649

Serious offers IRO £900 considered. Post included.

Fatboydale

As a collector and dealer , i pretty know what prices are right .... and to be helpful not taking the piss ...

You will be very unlikely ever to get anyway near your asking price ...

1. Mark never sold his artwork expensive , i should know i bought 4 covers directly
2. Most modern covers very rarely go over £200 -£350 
3. Most of the forum member are even tighter than me ...  :D

We all like to dream our artwork is worth a fortune.., but as you said it will be an Heirloom ... and not like me having to feed the kids with what i sell ....

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Fatboydale on 05 January, 2013, 08:16:14 PM

We all like to dream our artwork is worth a fortune..

So you won't mind giving me all that America artwork for 50 beans?

radiator

Yeah the fact that you're constantly relisting says loud and clear that you're asking for way too much for it.

Fatboydale

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 05 January, 2013, 08:31:07 PM
Quote from: Fatboydale on 05 January, 2013, 08:16:14 PM

We all like to dream our artwork is worth a fortune..

So you won't mind giving me all that America artwork for 50 beans?

only if they are Magic ones ...

lusignon

Fatboydale,

Thanks for the appraisal. From reading through a LOT of posts, assessing opinions both fair and dubious, the gist I got was that cover paintings go for more or less £300, but Dredd art can command double that.

Frankly, I think 2000ad art in general is greatly undervalued for the quality of work you get (on average), particularly in comparison with the wider market outside comic art. If this forum is representative the fanbase wants to keep it all strictly parochial.

And there is another issue - how much comic art is still being done traditionally? Painted art is becoming increasingly finite as artists switch to digital if they haven't already.

btw, I got this painting from Mark directly, in a trade subsidised by services rendered. That I am even contemplating selling it all is a sign of my financial difficulty because I feel I am disrespecting Mark by doing so.

o1s1n

I would agree with you that 2000ad art is generally undervalued. However, Dale is completely correct with the valuation. Until all 2000ad art suddenly escalates in value, then your piece won't sell for that much unfortunately.

It's a lovely piece (and one I would love to own) but for that money I could get a hell of a lot.

On a related note, I bought a piece of Harrison artwork on ebay a couple of week ago for £13. Nowhere near anything yours is, but just to show how unfortunately cheap his artwork can sell for.

Anyway, good luck with the sale!

TordelBack

Quote from: lusignon on 06 January, 2013, 06:02:36 PMIf this forum is representative the fanbase wants to keep it all strictly parochial.

Please expand on this point, I'm intrigued.

Big Harrison fan myself BTW, ever since The Travellers.  His Flesh! cover last year got one of my votes for Cover of the Year.

COMMANDO FORCES

pa·ro·chi·al [puh-roh-kee-uh l]

adjective
1. of or pertaining to a parish or parishes.
2. of or pertaining to parochial schools or the education they provide.
3. very limited or narrow in scope or outlook; provincial: parochial views; a parochial mentality

2000 AD artwork is for local people and I'll think you'll find Mr o1s1n isn't from around here! We don't want expensive artwork in this shop, do we Edmund?

hippynumber1

Quote from: lusignon on 06 January, 2013, 06:02:36 PM
From reading through a LOT of posts, assessing opinions both fair and dubious, the gist I got was that cover paintings go for more or less £300, but Dredd art can command double that.

Just for the sake of context - I have a Mark Harrison painted cover of Venus Bluegenes that I paid £225 for.  The two painted Dredd covers (Mick Austin and John Higgins) cost me £194 and £400 respectively. These things vary wildly in price but, ultimately, are only worth what people are prepared to pay for them...

Skullmo

It's a joke. I was joking.

Large48

Dredd always sells better than most others, although not always worth it.

Old school artists sell better than most of the new school.

Decent painted work usually goes well, but only a very few artists qualify for this!

US Dredd doesn't really sell very well.............

Some artists just don't sell either..
[size=40]Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill[/size]

Spikes

Some good advice and words of wisdom being offered here.

Skullmo

Definitely! Any more wisdom? As a n00b to 'the physical appreciation of comic art' this is all very helpful.
It's a joke. I was joking.

Spikes

The best advice i can give you Skullmo is get yourself a time machine, and buy all those £1,000 pages for their original asking price of £15/£20.