Main Menu

DREDD reviews. (SPOILERS!)

Started by blackmocco, 30 August, 2012, 10:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Sherman Kid

Just got back from my third viewing,still spotting new stuff (like Anderson staring at the the graffitti on the wall that says 'Muties Out' and has anyone else noticed this when Anderson is shot and on the floor there is a little copper wire animal by her head -reminded me of the paper unicorn scence from Bladerunner, not that I'm saying she a replicant or anything  ;) )

Dredd tending to Anderson's wounds as someone else said near the end was touching.

#Eliminator -what kiss of life scene (was one in for Dredd on Anderson originally?)

First evening showing in a normal cinema ,on in screeen 1, but only 30 present ,a bit worrying, hopefully word will spread. Going with friends again on Tuesday and with my brothers on Wednesday.

MR. ELIMINATOR

Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 08 September, 2012, 10:21:42 PM

#Eliminator -what kiss of life scene (was one in for Dredd on Anderson originally?)

Yeah in the leaked script after anderson is shot, dredd kisses her to bring her back. Unless I just misread it or something, but pretty sure that was what was happening.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: esoteric ed on 08 September, 2012, 09:22:47 PM
I chanced another screening at Cineworld again today and enjoyed it all over again, and dare I say enjoyed it more the second time around.

Not sure why, but I enjoyed it even more second time too. It struck me that pretty much every time I've ever rewatched a film it's seemed longer the second time and perhaps dragged more than I expected, I think because your mind just stitches together the highlights when you think back to it and doesn't quite register any of the baggy connective stuff.

With this though the second viewing flew by quicker, to the point that I got a little upset when I realized I was near the end again.

has anyone else noticed this when Anderson is shot and on the floor there is a little copper wire animal by her head -reminded me of the paper unicorn scence from Bladerunner, not that I'm saying she a replicant or anything  ;) )

Noticed that too, and wasn't sure what it was implying. Thinking about it now I wonder if it being there gives wounded Anderson something to focus on, as the one time that she feels she's made a difference. Maybe that gives her the resolve to hold on, maybe it's the moment when she realizes she actually really wants to survive and pass so she can go on making a difference.

Or maybe I'm thinking about it too much :P

CYCLOPZ

The question about the copper animal was asked to Alex at the Toronto screening. Here's his answer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx23hQxNRMs&feature=player_detailpage#t=828s

Spikes

when Anderson is shot and on the floor there is a little copper wire animal by her head

Ahh, its reading through this, and other threads that are reminding my of all the little details etc.
Got to see this again soon, and hopefully i will be, this coming Tuesday.

Diminished Responsibility

QuoteThe question about the copper animal was asked to Alex at the Toronto screening. Here's his answer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx23hQxNRMs&feature=player_detailpage#t=828s

"should of been a reference.... was a reference..."

cool guy, very happy that Dredd ended up with Garland, very happy.
"DANGER! DO NOT TOUCH THESE MONSTROUSLY HAZARDOUS CITRUS FRUITS, MAN!"

The Sherman Kid

Bloody brilliant answer from Garland ,that was excellent :lol:

MR. ELIMINATOR

I think I am having withdrawal symptoms.

Stu101

Saw the film at the Bath Odeon yesterday 9pm, with my bro & his buddy. I'd say there was maybe 40 people in total. Everyone seemed to enjoy it from the general ambience. I certainly did!

Dredd was spot on, the uniform is great (also sounded good, the creaking of the leather). The way he moved looked professional/military. Dredd's script was perfect, especially the way he spoke to Anderson, I liked that he started calling her Rookie and gradually moved to Anderson as his respect grew. The banter worked well too, the time when he told her to "tell control, not me."  :)

Anderson was an interesting character and as others have said hers is the human story. Also plenty of space for her to develop in future films.

The use of Dreddworld terms was nice to hear, Resyk, Perp, Iso-Cube. That's where Alexs' respect of Dredds history shows through.

Thought the Lawmaster was good, however I would have liked to see an eagle on the front in a subtle relief similar to that of the shoulder pad. The vehicles could've been slightly newer, that VW was an 80's design! I'm sure we could've seen some vehicles from the 21st century cruising the highways. It was almost like an alternate reality rather than our future.

I didn't think too much of the 3D, there were a few standout moments, the West Wall, the depiction of height in the Peach Trees, also the corridor's seemed long. The Slow Mo worked too, but it seemed blured at times (maybe that was the projection?) I'm looking forward to Blueray though.
If  we get a sequel I hope it's good old school 2D.

I'd give it 4 out 5 stars, and plan to go at least once more. May also catch a 2D showing if that happens.

PreacherCain

Just back from a packed screening in Toronto as part of the film festival here. Dredd was also shown on Thursday night but as I was working, I went to the Saturday midday screening instead. I think it may have actually been full, there was a very lengthy queue to get in but luckily I arrived early so snagged myself a decent seat (Thursday's screening was also reportedly very busy, if not completely sold-out). There was also a pretty wide range of people there, from all ages (at least one of whom, standing behind me in the queue, was definitely not 18!). Of course, this was a film festival screening so perhaps that needs to be taken into account in terms of demographics.

As to the film itself, I'm just going to list out a few things I liked and also things that I feel could have been done better. Overall I really enjoyed it but I'm also aware that it's almost impossible for me to take any kind of objective view of things as a massive fan of Dredd for the best part of two decades now. I don't expect my views on the film (the good and the bad) are necessarily going to align with those of the regular filmgoing punter who isn't bringing any baggage to the film. To be honest, I have no idea what normos will think of it :D

Anyways...

For me, the strongest aspects of the film were the beginning and end. Karl Urban as Dredd was fantastic and gave some wonderful Dredd grimaces throughout. He managed to deliver a lot of the sometimes cheesy dialogue really well. The first Lawmaster scene was fantastic. In one scene, I thought I was looking at a recreation of a Cam Kennedy Dredd strip! Olivia Thrilby as Anderson was also wonderful, though at times she was weighed down by having to be Exposition Character #1. I loved the scenes where she took control and started taking out perps and I was actually a bit taken aback when she offed that first character.

Lena Headey was fantastic. A viscious snarl to compete with Dredd's grimace. She was also quite scary at the start. Funnily enough, during her first and last scenes (when she was on slo-mo) I was reminded of that short prologue story that was released last week and I felt a bit of sympathy for her. It was only during those scenes where she seemed at peace and actually human and - as vicious as she was - MaMa was also a product of her society. In many ways, her and Dredd were two sides of the same coin; Dredd has the law to give him a moral code but MaMa didn't have that. In another world, she probably would have made a great Judge. I do feel the film could have hinted at more of that depth that we learned of in the comic.

I hate 3D. Hate it. But... it was pretty good here. Frankly, I don't think it was really necessary for anything other than the initial world-building shots of MC-1 and the (brilliant) slo-mo scenes. Again, the repetition of dark, grungy corridors and pretty in-close shooting scenes didn't exactly scream out for the use of 3D.

The post-shootout scene where Dredd calmly walks MaMa's lieutenant out in front of her and launches him off the edge. Awesome.

Dredd's one-liners: Almost all brilliant. "You're the psychic."  :P

The comic references. From the respect given to creators - I kind of wish they'd packed out Control with 2000AD alumni - to tags for Chopper and Kenny Who?, they were all great. I didn't spot the Tom Frame block, unfortunately. Oh, and in the scene where Dredd and Anderson first investigate MaMa's victims, there's a very odd looking guy in the crowd who I thought might be Otto Sump (!?)

There were a few things I think could have been done better. The entire middle segment of the film was a bit plodding. There were too many scenes of Dredd wandering around repetitive looking dark corridors. A lot of the shooting scenes/taking out perps were pretty dull with extras just running into bullets. I would have liked to see a bit more creativity in these scenes as at times it felt like I was just watching somebody else play a shoot-em-up computer game. I've seen plenty of dynamic action scenes in low-budget action flicks so I don't think there's really an excuse here; I think Travis could have choreographed and shot those action scenes much better, even under the inherent restrictions of a low budget. The middle segment unfortunately hobbles the pacing of the film quite a  bit but it soon picks up steam again when the 'backup' arrives.

Why did Dredd give MaMa slo-mo before pushing her out the window? Seemed like an odd thing for the character to do. I mean, I know it looked amazing and was done for that reason but... it didn't make much sense for Dredd to do that.

"Judgment tiiiime" Really? Not "Judgment is coming"? It elicited a pretty big laugh from the audience though I think by then they have been won over and were willing to go along with the cheese. Also Anderson's "Let's finish this": a line that should never be allowed in an action film.

I liked the little references to aspects of Dredd's world like mutants, the effectiveness of the Judges (only able to handle 6% of crimes everyday) and even Fatties. However I do feel they could have alluded to more of the lifestyle of MC-1 as it provides the audience with a lot more imagination ammunition and makes them curious about exploring that world further in sequels. This is a very small, picky complaint, I know. I'm essentially saying I wanted more, so in that sense the film succeeded!  :D

I absolutely LOVED that the first thing you see when the film ends is "Judge Dredd created by John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra" in massive, bold font. Has there been any other comic book film that has paid such respect to its original creators?

Overall: a very good, if flawed, film. Pretty much perfect in terms of character and it serves its small plot well. I think it's a good introduction to Dredd and the system of the Judges - though not so much his world - and hopefully if there are sequels we'll see a much more expansive take on things and slightly more impressive and dynamic action scenes. I have no idea how Joe Public will take to it, to be honest. Could go either way!

Oh and it was great to finally see justice done to Judge Dredd. When people say film adaptations don't matter - that they don't effect the comics - I think of Judge Dredd and how, post-Stallone, any mention of him to the general public was always - always - followed up with mention of that film. It's brilliant to finally see the character validated in the public consciousness as the tough, no-nonsense, grumpy fucker that he has always been and the one we've come to know and love.  :P

maryanddavid

Just back form the cinema, really enjoyed it.
Uniforms were spot on, Dredd and Anderson were great, good story.

The only niggles are the ones that have been here before, I didnt like the bikes and the current cars were a bit odd, but no more than really getting a kick out of seeing the Chopper grafitti, these are all fanboy issues.

Hope it does well enough to get a sequel, get the same team back with a bit more cash, I think they would hit it out of the park.

Well done all involved.

David

darnmarr

PreacherCain what an excellently comprehensive review. I don't agree with everything ( a pacing fault has been highlighted by a number of people, and just because I personally dont see it, doesn't mean anything... all I know is that it never bored me) and I think Dredd giving Ma-Ma that last shot of 'mo (if his only motive was to prolong her agony) did seem a trifle vindictive... But my real concern; in terms of an action by Dredd (who can be a little vindictive from time-to-time) is was it strictly legal? I've thought about it a bit and concluded that it's just too necessary, for the visual climax element, to be either replaced or done away with, and so what ever is lost, in terms of deviation from Dredd's character, is gained in a mechanical sense of completeness for the story.
Unless he gave her the slo-mo for the other reason.

radiator

It barely registered with me, but it's been suggested he gave her a dose to delay her activating the dead man's trigger until she was out of range.

Not quite sure exactly how much sense that makes, but what the hell, it works for me.

radiator

Plus it made for an awesome visual.

JOE SOAP

I see it as the equivalent of sticking her in the time-stretcher.