Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Quote from: Link Prime on 23 September, 2016, 07:12:31 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 22 September, 2016, 10:06:53 AM
And how that rather ugly Jerusalem slipcase tugged at me, but €30 was a bit much in a busy comics-buying week.

The single edition has been sitting untouched on my coffee table since Monday

ME LAST MONTH: I'll pre-order it, so I'll be sure to receive a copy just as soon as it's available

QuoteArriving 4 Nov - 7 Nov
Not yet dispatched

Cancelled it and ordered the big boy instead. Thanks, lads.

TordelBack

Imagine a better world where Alan himself reads, sorry, performs, no wait, intones the audiobook version.  That much basso profundo in one place...

Frank

Simulate the effect of Alan Moore narrating his stream of consciousness gobbledygook by setting your mp3 player to half speed and putting some Pam Ayres on shuffle.

JOE SOAP

Three hardbacks would've been ideal; I've been weighing it with one-handed trepidation for 2 weeks.

Frank

Suit yersels, but I'm starting a discussion thread about it here on Monday night*.

* The discussion thread, which is for people who have read (some of) the book and want to discuss it, will be clearly marked SPOILERS. It will contain information about stuff that happens in the book, maybe even AN IMAGE OF THE COVER, in a deliberate ploy to trick people who haven't read the book into looking at the SPOILER MARKED review thread and RUINING EVERYTHING, FOREVER!

The Adventurer

Reading material for the week...

Savage Dragon Archives 4
BLAME! Master Edition Book 1

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

CalHab

Seven to Eternity #1 sets up an intriguing sci-fi/fantasy premise and has some outstanding art. It would be a good fit for the galaxy's greatest comic. I think I'll be keeping up with this one.

Fungus

Quote from: CalHab on 28 September, 2016, 12:42:11 PM
Seven to Eternity #1 sets up an intriguing sci-fi/fantasy premise and has some outstanding art. It would be a good fit for the galaxy's greatest comic. I think I'll be keeping up with this one.

Hope so, I pick up Remender's (non-Big Two) books and although they do share themes up to a point, are often great fun.

CalHab

Quote from: Fungus on 28 September, 2016, 02:07:34 PM
Hope so, I pick up Remender's (non-Big Two) books and although they do share themes up to a point, are often great fun.

I have to agree with that. I'm a particular fan of the brilliantly insane Low.

The Adventurer

Used the ComiXology Vertigo sale to give Everafter (the new Fables spin-off) and Doom Patrol a try.

Everafter is surprisingly good. Fills that Fables hole I've been missing, its a magic super-spy thing in a post conclusion-to-fables world. I dig it.

Doom Patrol is freaking MENTAL, in the best way. And GORGEOUS. 2000 AD fans, get on this book asap. The preview of Shade the Changing Girl in the back suggests that might be a book worth watching too.

I also bought the complete* Top 10, so that'll be a fun reread. Though... I suppose I should have bought something I haven't read entirely already. Like Promethea.

*no SMAX or Forty-Niners though.
edit: weird, Top 10 is considered Vertigo. But LoEG, Tom Strong, & Promethea are concidered main line DC, and not part of the sale.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Adventurer on 30 September, 2016, 04:34:18 AM
Used the ComiXology Vertigo sale to give Everafter (the new Fables spin-off) and Doom Patrol a try.

Hold on Vertigo Sale, where, what, few things I'd like to pick up there, has it gone - damnit!

The Adventurer

It's a promo code sale ('Vertigo' At checkout) I think goes till the 30th, not sure what time it ends. It's still active right now, I know that.  Keep in mind I'm in the US and I'm not sure if UK and US store fronts are identical in terms of sales promotions.

Link Prime

Quote from: The Adventurer on 30 September, 2016, 04:34:18 AM
weird, Top 10 is considered Vertigo. But LoEG, Tom Strong, & Promethea are concidered main line DC, and not part of the sale.

I still consider them all 'America's Best Comics'.

Colin YNWA

Slowly and sleepily going through my haul but I'm going to make a special stop here to mention The Maxx 35. My God this series has been something very, very special. If I'm honest I'm not sure what that something is, and I know there's a LOT more for me to unpick the ideas held within the series but more clues are given, it might even give us all we need to know but we'll see.

I'm really looking forward to re-reading this series time and again and suspect that each time I do I'll get more and more from it and I think this might well be the ending it absolutely deserved. Damn I'll miss this series but at the same time I so glad it has an ending and I'm at it so I can start right from the start again.

Colin YNWA

Elsewhere in my haul other series are beginning to feel like they will be well served by a re-read. Two I've alluded to before, Judge Dredd 10 and Doctor Who 12.2.13 continue to entertain in singles while screaming for a re-read to get it right. Similarly Invisible Republic 11, the series isn't served well by the delays it has (not as bad as some) but I'm happy to have it whenever and I can always go back and re-read to get my head back around things. Very tempted to do that. As I am with Wacky Raceland 4, but I'm more afraid that will be revealed as pap rather than twisted gold?

In new things Tarzan on the Planet of the Apes 1 finds a fascinating way to pull these to distant cousins together. I'm not sure they should be doing what their doing together but what the heck after its pulled the stunts it has to sneak me in to watch I'll stick around and find out if it fun or frightful. Lake of Fire 2 is just superb... well okay the Brother Arnaud is a bit of a rancid cliche but that aside great, great stuff and moving so fast! Unlike the dreamy pace of Black Hammer 3 which is weaving quite a beautiful complex tapestry. Love this comic.

Island 11 continues to fascinate and Ancester might be the best thing that anathology has finished to date, looking forward to dripping myself into that one again and Mirenda looks to be very engaging and intriguing. This is comics I would otherwise never see so for that I'm grateful I learnt to appreciate this collection of disperate, ill timed stories.

That leaves use with Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur 11 which shows again why I'm so pleased Marvel is being so patient with this comic. Maybe it sells by the bucket in trade, maybe it has friends in high places, who know but whatever is keeping it ariund should be thanked, Wonderful series.

Book of the haul though (well if it isn't Black Hammer 3 actually) is Hillbilly 3. So happy I caught wind of these comic and jumped on board. It looks simply stunning, but then its Eric Powell so ya know. Its also quite magnificent, done in one delights. Its format does make me wonder how long its legs are to sustain in the long term... but then I remember it has the best conversation between a bear and the fish its about to eat I've ever read / seen in any medium and I just relax and love it.