Main Menu

Megazine 357 - The Devil In the Red Dress

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 14 February, 2015, 12:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prodigal2

I have been picking the meg up for a few months now but am now considering dropping out for a while. 28 pages of strip is a bit meagre for me and Reaper does my nut in. It's a pity because on a good day I have tended to pick the meg up first.

IronGraham

Good thing about American Reaper is this is the last part  :D . At least I'm enjoying Mr Mills and Mr Goddards Savage.
We're werewolves not swearwolves

Ghost MacRoth

Yeah, but it does end on the threat of more. :(
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Prodigal2

Quote from: IronGraham on 18 February, 2015, 10:54:00 AM
Good thing about American Reaper is this is the last part  :D . At least I'm enjoying Mr Mills and Mr Goddards Savage.

Agree on Savage mate-I love Savage. This is not an anti-Pat rant-just Ostriches.

Anybody know how many installments are left of Ostriches?

IronGraham

IronGraham

But seriously it's not an anti Pat I'm enjoying his other writting and not anti Langley because I like his ABC work it plays better to his strength's

ZenArcade

I adore Clint's art when he moves away from the photo realism. He is engrossing and so varied in his skill suite when he actually draws. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Ghost MacRoth

Absolutely agree.  His drawn stuff is great....the 'Jackie' photo strip pish....not so great.
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Hawkmumbler

'Grooooaaaannnnn' When can Reaper end, please god let it end.

wedgeski

Quote from: ZenArcade on 18 February, 2015, 11:23:20 AM
I adore Clint's art when he moves away from the photo realism. He is engrossing and so varied in his skill suite when he actually draws. Z
I'm not a particular *fan* of Reaper's art but are there any interviews where he describes the process? I mean, he *must* start with photographs of these characters, right?

ZenArcade

Not too sure, it looks as though he photographs people and 'photoshops'....but I really don't know. I don't get the prog and Meg until tomorrow; but in a rare turnaround, I'm looking forward to the Meg more so purely for the Dredd and Angelic strips. Z

ZenArcade

Well, that was a satisfying lunchtime read. The Dredd strip gear shifted into the world of the criminal and a nasty duplicitous world it is: 'no honour amongst thieves'.
Angelic continues to fascinate and we get a sense of what Pa was about in his younger days. A criminal in a city evidently run by bigger criminals with badges. The death of his kin seems to have acted as a catalyst for extreme mental breakdown and enhanced 'meanness' and 'cussedness' and limited psi powers by the look if it.
The Jonbar point plot inclusion is also interesting with references to the Judge Child.
A couple of questions spring to mind: firstly the assistant at the mission appears to be a mutated woman in her twenties, if so, how was she born mutated before the war which was in 2070 only 5 years before the time line in the strip and secondly is there a differentiation between Judges in Texas City, in that some wear Stetson and some wear helmets?
All in all Angelic is the stand out this month. Well done to the droids involved. Z

Bolt-01

American Reaper- Not got my Meg to hand but does it finish this month? Hell of a cliffhanger if that is the case and a right old downer of an ending.

I know the strip does a fantastic job of polarising opinion but I for one enjoy it. The Meg is the only place where the strip can have enough of a page count to indulge Clints storytelling.

It's Credit to Tharg for letting this run and not listening to the naysayers. Some of the naked derision this strip gets is embarrassing. We're supposed to be better than that.

ZenArcade

It certainly polarises opinion Bat and personally I would be nonplussed about the strip at best. But what the heck I absolutely love Ulysses Sweet in the prog and lots of fellow squaxx really, really don't. Just one of those things that make reading an anthology comic the joy it is. Z

Steve Green

From an interview with Gordon on downthetubes.

"Angelic, which is running in the Judge Dredd Megazine as I write this, was way different.  I was watching the Hannibal TV series, and liking the way the series has deliberate small continuity glitches in it from the very beginning, which grow as it goes on, so that – by the end of the second series – it's abundantly clear that it's set in its own very alternative continuity completely divergent from the later-set books and movies.  I thought it would be interesting to do something similar with some classic Dredd villain.  And the chance to annoy the continuity bores should never be passed up on.  The Angel Gang, who had by this point just become fairly hackneyed comedy redneck psychos, seemed an obvious choice to develop into something with a little more grit and depth."