Main Menu

Jimbo's 1/12th ABC Warriors (and friends)

Started by Dark Jimbo, 18 January, 2016, 10:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 11 May, 2016, 09:07:06 PM
I have to be honest I didn't remember Spike... but by God when I see a figure/sculpt as cool as that I do wonder why the hell not.

It's a fairly silly character and a ludicrous design - but to be honest, that was exactly the appeal in trying to bring him to life!
@jamesfeistdraws

Darren Stephens

Well, I do remember him and you've captured him perfectly, you talented so n so!
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

CrazyFoxMachine

Somebody needs to poach you to do this shit professionally, Jimb that's some masterful painting/sculpting!

Judge Nutmeg

SpongeJosh

Mikey

To my shame, I had forgotten about this - hells a poppin Jimbo, Spike is a work of beauty! Just brilliant work all round too - I'll not leave it so long this time.

Is that epoxy putty stuff easy enough to use? Just discovered I'm in need of something to finish a project.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Mikey on 29 June, 2016, 08:05:12 PM
Is that epoxy putty stuff easy enough to use? Just discovered I'm in need of something to finish a project.

Well I think so - as you can see from Spike, it allows for some fairly intricate little bits of sculpting once you've gained a bit of mastery with it, and it's pretty darn durable stuff, too.

If there's a drawback it's that - unlike, say, super sculpey or any of those modelling clays where you bake the sculpt to cure it in one go - you tend to have to wait until one bit has dried and cured before you can attempt to sculpt something else on top. Sculpts can take what feels like an age because you're working on it in loads of little sessions. I don't personally mind this because I tend to have a few models on the go at once so there's always something else to work on while I wait.

If you're just thinking of something more in the line of filling gaps and making repairs, then I recommend it with very little reservation!
@jamesfeistdraws

shaolin_monkey

Cor blimey guvnor!! That's amazing! Totally inspirational!

Dark Jimbo

Mek Quake 4: Like a Robot in the Headlights

So this is how things stood last time -

With the fiddliest bits of the floor largely done, I could start building up the side panels. Fairly straightforward, this. A polystyrene base for bulk without weight, then some very thick card panelling – wanted this as a base for the plasticard on the sides because I could bend a single sheet of card into shape (not so easy with plasticard!) Constructing the flared sides out of separate plasticard panels alone would have left them too prone to break apart if put under any sort of stress (the card itself is reinforced with plenty of epoxy putty on the underside angle.)

You'll see there's a recess in one side – this would be the top step of the wee stairs leading up from the flatbed. With the inner side walls on I could finally sculpt the remaining stair.

Then it was a case of panelling all this with plasticard; fixing gaps and bits with epoxy putty; sanding smooth; filling again; sanding again. A very, very long stage of which I apparently took very few photos!

I sculpted various other industrial-looking gubbins onto the insides. On the opposite side to the steps, just to break the long side panel up a bit, I cut another recess and used wooden dowels to stand in for pipes of hydraulic fluid. Also added these metal rungs (found in my toolbox) to the bodywork, whereby a passenger would pull himself up.

Next thing was to add some headlights – if you've read this far you know the drill by now; polystyrene, card, milliput.

It was also time to start thinking ahead to much later stages of the build...

The idea for the neck came to me early on and although I pondered other possibilities for constructing it nothing better really occured. A flexi-neck lamp would provide the skeleton and give me a way to move the head/neck into different positions that would hold their pose. A visit to a well-known Swedish DIY store ensued...

I drilled two holes into the base of the chassis and screwed the light into place from underneath. This would give me a 'spine' of sorts to build the rest of the torso around later.

Which meant I could build the next storey of the torso – again, nothing much to it. Polystyrene, card, milliput – except that I used two halves of a plastic kinder egg toy (the blue bits) to help add a bit of extra detail besides the ones I sculpted from scratch myself.

And it was all starting to look that bit more familiar...

@jamesfeistdraws

Dark Jimbo

And here's the long-awaited size comparison shot with Mongrol!

@jamesfeistdraws

Mikey

That is pure class my man!

(and re the epoxy putty - at this stage it's for a bit of simply sculpted filling, so the lack of faff with curing sounds perfect.)
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Darren Stephens

https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

TordelBack

Damnit Jimbo I have the biggest crush on you right now. Paint me like one of your paratrooper robots...!

Dark Jimbo

Just annoyed that I didn't really take any pictures of the basic bodywork coming together! Especially as it was a stage that took weeks to do...!
@jamesfeistdraws