Main Menu

Judge Dredd Graphic Novels - Question!

Started by Rogue Judge, 02 August, 2016, 07:10:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rogue Judge

Hello, I'm relatively new to Dredd, having only collected and read the first 10 Case Files, Origins and America so far. Dredd is simply the best, so I'm diving in with both feet and plan to collect each new current Dredd paperback that comes out (starting as far back as Judge Dredd Day of Chaos and up to the most current story).

My question: Is there a list of Judge Dredd Graphic Novel reading orders? What has been released, what order to read them, and what is coming out soon?

I live in Canada, and looking on Amazon.ca I can see that I need the following books (in order):

-Judge Dredd Day of Chaos: Fourth Faction
-Judge Dredd Day of Chaos: Endgame
-Judge Dredd: Trifecta (This appears to be a crossover, is it necessary?)
-Judge Dredd: Dead Zone
-Judge Dredd: Titan

Is this a solid list or am I missing anything you would recommend? Thank you so much for any of your answers!

PsychoGoatee

Kudos on hopping onto the Dredd train! Agreed it's the best thing going!

A note just in case, if you want you can get more Case Files early, since they're up to 27 now in the UK. You can also order them from sellers on Amazon.com (USA), I figure that's probably true on amazon.ca too. Case Files 14 is the Necropolis epic for example, would recommend checking that out ASAP.

Speaking of Necropolis, you need The Dead Man! It's available in a collection called "Tales of the Dead Man", without Judge Dredd in the book title. It's an important story that isn't included in the Case Files. Well, "The Dead Man" solo series isn't in the case files, a Dredd story follow-up called "Tale of the Dead Man" is in Case Files 14.

And you definitely don't want to skip Trifecta. Though it would be enhanced if you check out the Low-Life and Simping Detective series as well.

Day of Chaos - Fallout is another one for the list there.

Dark Justice is another very must read one.

Dash Decent

Quote from: Rogue Judge on 02 August, 2016, 07:10:22 AM
My question: Is there a list of Judge Dredd Graphic Novel reading orders? What has been released, what order to read them, and what is coming out soon?

This sounds like a job for Dark Jimbo and his amazing graphic novel timeline chart.  Quick everyone, shine the Jimbo signal onto the nearest cloud!
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

WhizzBang

Tour Of Duty: The Backlash and Tour Of Duty: Mega City Justice are essential too. They sit nicely between Origins and Day Of Chaos.

Rogue Judge

Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 02 August, 2016, 08:32:23 AM
Kudos on hopping onto the Dredd train! Agreed it's the best thing going!

A note just in case, if you want you can get more Case Files early, since they're up to 27 now in the UK. You can also order them from sellers on Amazon.com (USA), I figure that's probably true on amazon.ca too. Case Files 14 is the Necropolis epic for example, would recommend checking that out ASAP.

Speaking of Necropolis, you need The Dead Man! It's available in a collection called "Tales of the Dead Man", without Judge Dredd in the book title. It's an important story that isn't included in the Case Files. Well, "The Dead Man" solo series isn't in the case files, a Dredd story follow-up called "Tale of the Dead Man" is in Case Files 14.

And you definitely don't want to skip Trifecta. Though it would be enhanced if you check out the Low-Life and Simping Detective series as well.

Day of Chaos - Fallout is another one for the list there.

Dark Justice is another very must read one.

Thanks so much for your suggestions gents! PsychoGoatee, I took your advice and decided to go forward with the UK Case files. The American volumes come out way to slowly and are so far behind that I will collect the UK volumes going forward (not to mention the cover art for the UK volumes is far superior). The art in Dark Justice looks incredble, I will also order that right away! Thanks again, Im quite excited to read 30 years worth of Dredd!

Do most people here collect the current trades as they come out, or just read the progs and wait for the Case Files?

Thanks WhizzBang too, I will google your recommendations! 

AlexF

I get the weekly Progs + monthly Megs, and buy the Case Files as they come out. Not that I always find time to read them...
I occasionally buy trades of the newer Dredd epics, but only if I really liked them (e.g. I did buy Titan, but didn't buy Dark Justice. That one was good, but no so good that I don't mind waiting a decade to get it in the Case Files. I can always read the Progs again!)

IndigoPrime

Ah, good old Google. I'm not sure if this is the best of Dark Jimbo's images (it's a bit small), but it at least gives you a timeline of what to read and when:

https://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php?topic=43316.0

Rogue Judge: depending on how much of a completist you want to be, the Case Files aren't the entire story. The Restricted Files give you strips printed outside 2000 AD and the Magazine, in specials and annuals. The second and third volumes in particular are superb. Judge Anderson somewhat interlinks with Dredd, although less so as the series goes on. Dead Man, as already noted, adds plenty of context and backstory to Necropolis (although it's arguably inessential). America was inexplicably omitted from the Case Files (I don't care what anyone argues to the contrary — it was originally a Dredd strip in the Meg) and is required reading when you get to that point in the Dredd run (around CF 15).

All the rest are pretty much asides. You'll lose nothing if you don't read Batman/Dredd (and, frankly, they're not that great anyway, to my jaded eyes), Chopper is frequently great but links only relatively slightly with Dredd post-Oz. The Death stuff I can take or leave. Taxidermist is really fun but again inessential. Kenny Who? is one of my favourite Dredd collections of all time (Cam Kennedy greatness!), but much of it's in the Case Files elsewhere.

Molch-R

In terms of recommendations, rather than reading order, Robo-K33f and I did this video guide a while back: https://youtu.be/1yUwX1rR-zc

Frank

Douglas Wolk's superb Dredd Reckoning blog includes an exhaustive and up to date reading guide to the collected Dredd (including Hachette works, where appropriate). Though less visually dazzling than Jimbo's reading trees, it really does include everything:

http://dreddreviews.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/housekeeping-3-index-and-guide.html

Rogue Judge

Quote from: Butch on 04 August, 2016, 01:35:11 PM

Douglas Wolk's superb Dredd Reckoning blog includes an exhaustive and up to date reading guide to the collected Dredd (including Hachette works, where appropriate). Though less visually dazzling than Jimbo's reading trees, it really does include everything:

http://dreddreviews.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/housekeeping-3-index-and-guide.html

Thanks Butch, this is extremely complete and will help guide me for sure - thank you! Interestingly, I noticed Wolk is also the Writer of Dredd: Mega City Two from IDW. I collected the IDW Dredd run but it is not very good - it is lacking everything that makes 2000AD Dredd great.

Quote from: Molch-R on 04 August, 2016, 11:28:04 AM
In terms of recommendations, rather than reading order, Robo-K33f and I did this video guide a while back: https://youtu.be/1yUwX1rR-zc

Molch-R, thanks so much for your video link - it was great! (I gave it a thumbs up) Definatly motivates me to keep collecting & reading.

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 04 August, 2016, 10:48:43 AM
Ah, good old Google. I'm not sure if this is the best of Dark Jimbo's images (it's a bit small), but it at least gives you a timeline of what to read and when:

https://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php?topic=43316.0

Rogue Judge: depending on how much of a completist you want to be, the Case Files aren't the entire story. The Restricted Files give you strips printed outside 2000 AD and the Magazine, in specials and annuals. The second and third volumes in particular are superb. Judge Anderson somewhat interlinks with Dredd, although less so as the series goes on. Dead Man, as already noted, adds plenty of context and backstory to Necropolis (although it's arguably inessential). America was inexplicably omitted from the Case Files (I don't care what anyone argues to the contrary — it was originally a Dredd strip in the Meg) and is required reading when you get to that point in the Dredd run (around CF 15).

All the rest are pretty much asides. You'll lose nothing if you don't read Batman/Dredd (and, frankly, they're not that great anyway, to my jaded eyes), Chopper is frequently great but links only relatively slightly with Dredd post-Oz. The Death stuff I can take or leave. Taxidermist is really fun but again inessential. Kenny Who? is one of my favourite Dredd collections of all time (Cam Kennedy greatness!), but much of it's in the Case Files elsewhere.

Thanks a lot IndigoPrime, I appreciate all your info! That chart is amazing, I will definitely use it going forward. Im usually quite a completionist so will get quite a lot of these recommendations. Mostly Case/Restricted Files, Anderson, and Deadman. I purchased and thoroughly enjoyed America, it was such a well written story.

Quote from: AlexF on 04 August, 2016, 09:03:35 AM
I get the weekly Progs + monthly Megs, and buy the Case Files as they come out. Not that I always find time to read them...
I occasionally buy trades of the newer Dredd epics, but only if I really liked them (e.g. I did buy Titan, but didn't buy Dark Justice. That one was good, but no so good that I don't mind waiting a decade to get it in the Case Files. I can always read the Progs again!)

Good to know AlexF, I think I might start by collecting all the Case Files and will give the Meg a try as well and being selective with my current epics like you suggested. Think Ill start with Day of Chaos.