Main Menu

Skizz

Started by Grobbendonk, 30 March, 2014, 12:23:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Enigmatic Dr X

I never liked Skizz.

At the time, it was a distraction from the shooty-bang bang comic fun that my 8 year old self wanted.

Now, I find it impossible to separate from ET. That's not its fault, I know, but even so.

So, therefore, I have never enjoyed it.
Lock up your spoons!

Trout

I love it. But I'm sentimental as hell.  :)

TordelBack

Just to clarify a remark I made earlier in the thread about Skizz being one of 'Tharg's Movie Ripoffs': as others have pointed out, Skizz is more an attempt to cash in on the predicted popularity of stranded-aliens-and-the-kids-who-love-them genre (one dear to Tharg's heart) that E.T. will create.  It's the same clever planning as 'let's launch a SF comic because this The Space Wars movie that's coming out in '77 means SF is going to be huge'.  I didn't mean to imply Alan was sent to the Northampton Odeon with a notepad and told: 'just change the accents'. 

That was DR & Quinch.

Skullmo

I remember the follow up tales being really good and a highlight of the prog a the time. I cannot remember anything about Skizz 3 though. I assumed Alan Moore was happy for Jim Bakie to continue with them.
It's a joke. I was joking.

hippynumber1

You assume Alan Moore was happy for someone else to write sequels for characters that he'd created?! Can you hear yourself?  :lol:

TordelBack

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 14 April, 2014, 12:44:47 PM
You assume Alan Moore was happy for someone else to write sequels for characters that he'd created?! Can you hear yourself?  :lol:

I think Alan has almost always been happy for his co-creators to continue to work with his/their projects.

hippynumber1

TordelBack

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 14 April, 2014, 02:41:35 PM
Joking!  ;)

I know I used to have a sense of humour, no idea where I left it.

Andrew_J

I read somewhere that he was delighted with the new Watchmen series.

Or maybe I didn't.

Skullmo

Quote from: afjudge on 14 April, 2014, 03:30:28 PM
I read somewhere that he was delighted with the new Watchmen series.

Or maybe I didn't.

My understanding was that he said he wasn't going to read it.

And then Grant Morrison said he wasn't going to read it.

Then the Guardian ran a piece on Grant Morrison's ground breaking stance on not reading it.

And then Alan Moore wrote a 300 page book on how he has not yet understood trolling.

Or something like that  . . .

TordelBack

I'm obviously a bit lost here, are we saying Moore is supercilious wanker or are we just being funny about it?

To the best of my knowledge Alan has been supportive of his co-creators who took over Swamp Thing*, Tom Strong, DR & Quinch, Skizz, Greyshirt and Terra Obscura (I'm not sure about Top 10),  and has passed the barrowloads of movie money for his most successful projects onto Gibbons, O'Neill and Lloyd.  He's incredibly supportive of his co-creators, essentially falling out with most major publishers over their treatment.

He does however expect them to respect his wishes to the same extent as he does theirs.

Moore is guilty of many foolishnesses, but not I think meanness.

*Yes, I know Moore didn't create Swampie, Len Wein did, but Alan re-created the book and its stellar popularity, and it was this redefined book that Veitch et al took charge of - with Alan's support.

Skullmo

I'm just joking - I think he is very good to his co-creators, even so far as to give them all his royalties on movies and the like.

TordelBack

Cheers Skullmo, as noted above I fear my humour-detection chip is malfunctioning today.  Comes of being stuck in a windowless room on a sunny day.

Skullmo

I was merely presenting a parody of the recent Moore/Morrison meltdown.