Main Menu

Mega City Book Club - a new podcast about 2000AD books

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 23 May, 2016, 08:59:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaolin_monkey

Loved the clips show episode!

I also thoroughly enjoyed Judge Anon chatting about the Judge Child quest. I too am a massive Hershey fan.   :)

Eamonn Clarke

It's Christmas! And nothing has more seasonal thrill power than a 2000AD annual. Paul Moore is my guest with His well thumbed copy of the 1982 edition. Happy Krimbo, to all my fellow Squaxx.

https://megacitybookclub.blogspot.co.uk/2016/12/mega-city-book-club-22-1982-annual.html

Spikes

Nice choice of 2000ad release to review. Those early annuals are absolute crackers.

They have lingered well in the memory, maybe because back then, they was quite a special treat. And whilst filler reprint material is present, the original material is marvellous.

The Steve Dillon drawn tale is just superb. And as is pointed out, maybe still not 20 years old, at this point.
Incredible, and bittersweet to reread this whilst listening along to the podcast. 

Eamonn Clarke

The forum's very own Albion helps me get over all of that Christmas stuffing with some chat about the Taxidermist, and the joys of being in the cast for Judge Minty and the Strontium Dog fan film.

https://megacitybookclub.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/mega-city-book-club-23-taxidermist.html

Eamonn Clarke

I persuaded Dunk! to wander off topic and talk about an early story by two of Tharg's greatest. Recorded at the Thought Bubble convention we talk about possibly the greatest run of Captain Britain in the Jasper's Warp storyline.

https://megacitybookclub.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/mega-city-book-club-24-captain-britain.html

sheridan

Great stuff Eamonn (and the guests / interviewees)!

Tony Angelino

Looking forward to this. Its probably my favourite Alan Moore story. Didn't read it at the time (don't remember being aware of it at the time) but caught up with it in long delayed reprints.

There was a US 7 issue reprint in the late 90's with great wraparound covers by Alan Davis and that was the first time I read the story. 

The first few episodes were written by Dave Thorpe but those weren't good at all. I think they sometimes get left out of the reprint editions. Alan Davis' art wasn't great on the early episodes either but he was just starting out. 

AlexF

This remains my favourite ever superhero storyline. Looking forward to listening to the conversation about it. Opening up the podcast to strips by 2000AD alums means you'll never run out of comics to discuss, too!

Robo-K33F

One of you chaps mentioned in the episode that The Fury later returned to the marvel universe...SAY IT ISN'T SO?!?!?!

Dunk!

Combines with a returning Jim Jaspers to become The Jury?

"Trust we"

Link Prime

At last Alan Davis was the artist when Chris Claremont resurrected The Fury for that Uncanny X-Men run...

I recall that Warren Ellis also featured The Fury (Furies?) in one of his X-Men arcs.
Not too memorable.

Eamonn Clarke

Thanks for comments, folks.
Dunk and I are delighted to learn that this run of Captain Britain is as important to others as it is to us. Cheers.

And stay tuned for my next episode with David Bishop discussing Thrill-Power Overload just in time for the 40th updated version. Out on Sunday February 5th, set thrill-podcatchers to receive.

Tony Angelino

If you like Alan Davis its also worth looking at issue #23 of Excalibur which had a Dredd parody. This was part of his run with Chris Claremont.

Later on he took over both writing and drawing the book and those issues are really worth seeking out if they aren't currently in a collection.

Eamonn Clarke

My 25th episode and David Bish-op himself is my special guest to discuss Thrill-Power Overload just in time for the publication of the updated 40 years version. Tune in on your favourite podcatcher or at the link below.

http://megacitybookclub.blogspot.co.uk/2017/02/mega-city-book-club-25-thrill-power.html

Fungus

Almost keeping up with these...!
The 1982 Annual was great and probably my favourite so far. An inspired choice and by its nature completely spoiler-free (it's a tricky one to cover a book well but not give away major plot elements  :-\ ).

Keep up the zarjaz work  :)