Main Menu

Strontium Dog - Question

Started by Rogue Judge, 07 August, 2016, 05:18:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Best bet for Robo-Hunter is to buy the first Droid Files, I'd say (while it's still in print). It has most of the really good bits, and little of the bad stuff.

Rogue Judge

RE: Robo-Hunter, so far I enjoy a lot of the early 2000AD, so I think I'll take your advice and check out the first Droid Files only. My want-list of 2000AD titles continues to grow!

Thanks to everyone here, these are the books Im most looking forward to:
-Continuing the Dredd Case Files Collection (And Restricted Files)
-Strontium Dog Agency Files collection
-Glimmer Rats
-Kingdom
-Leviathan
-Nikolai Dante (maybe, I dont know enough about it yet to commit)
-Robo-Hunter (on my radar, but not the top of my list)
-Halo Jones/Nemesis the Warlock (I heard these are good, not sure about them yet)
-Will look into Al's Baby and Button man in the future.

Im not really into Conan the Barbarian and fantasy comics very much so I don't think Slane is for me. I do enjoy Sci-fi/futuristic stories so I know I will enjoy Strontium Dog, Glimmer rats, etc.

Tjm86

Following this thread quietly I would have to echo a lot of what has been said re Stront / Robo Hunter RJ.  The early stories are far away the best.  The Verdus story is Gibson at the top of his game and some of the battle scenes are incredibly intricate.  I'm in the 'what followed wasn't so good' camp, seeing a lot of it falling down with lame gags.  It's not hideous (well, until you get to Millar's stuff). 

The only other strips I can see missing from recommendations are, and this does surprise me unless I've missed it, the VC's and Stainless Steel Rat.  VC's is a fore runner to Rogue Trooper in the future War stakes with Cam Kennedy on art duties for the most part.  Stainless Steel Rat adapts 3 of Harrisons novels; SSR, SSR saves the world and SSR for president.  Ezquerra on art duties and for my money a damn good adaptation.

If I were rewriting your pull list it would look a bit like this:

1.  Dredd
2.  Stront.
3.  Halo Jones (as has been said: Moore's top form story telling, Gibson's exquisite art)
4.  VC's - future war with Kennedy art on the first story.  Williams on later stories but expanding really nicely.
5.  Nemesis - early books have O'Neill, Redondo and Talbot on art duties.  Think Spanish Inquisition meets Clockwork Orange.
6.  Stainless Steel Rat.  Ezquerra with a cracking Coburn homage.
7.  Robo Hunter.
8.  Glimmer Rats.
9.  Kingdom.
10.  Leviathan.
11.  Dante.  Commit.  The Romanov Dynasty with cybernetic technology, an Errol Flynn type lead and a complex supporting cast.
12.  Button Man.
13.  Al's Baby.  Ezquerra's art and as has been said, a typically loopy storyline.
14.  D R and Quinch.  Alan Davies on art duties for a story that Alan Moore has apologised for.  Think alien Animal House with low yield tactical nuclear weaponry.
15.  Ro-busters.  A Robot version of Thunderbirds.  Ian Kennedy, Kevin O'Neill, Mike McMahon and Dave Gibbons on art duties.  The two new Nut's and Bolts volumes are probably the best.
16.  Dan Dare.  Dave Gibbons and Massimo Belardinelli artwork rebooting the fifties space hero and offending Comic historians everywhere at the time!

In the 'well it is tooth now' camp I would add Scarlet Traces, including Edginton and Disraeli's adaptation of War of the Worlds.  Well worth the read and soon to be reprinted by Rebellion although I'll be keeping my Dark Horse hardbacks.  And in the 'if you loved Nemesis' camp, it's got to be Luther Arkwright.  Talbot's storytelling in fine fettle.

Magnetica

Yes you are right about the Stainless Steel Rat and the VCs - they should be on the list. I guess it is a case of there being so many things that could be reccomended but not listing so many as to overwhelm.

I always liked the Stainless Steel Rat. It was a great caper story with a good lead, great Ezquerra art and was exciting and funny. The only sad thing about it for me was they didn't do more of it. The 2000AD adaptation did inspire me and my brother to read all the original novels and I think we still have them.

For me the first series of the VCs is a full on old school 2000AD classic. I reread it last year and it's not as sophisticated as some modern stories but it delivers thrills every episode, has a great ensemble cast / has a load of stereotyped characters (not sure which - depends how generously I am viewing it). It also has fantastic art from Cam Kennedy and Gary Leach ( not forgetting designs and first episode by McMahon).

The later series ( revival really) were not as strong in my opinion.

Tjm86

I'm not so sure.  I felt that they managed to develop the story appropriately.  Whereas at times the Rogue reboot missed a few steps, there was a coherent narrative to the extended VC's.  The exception has to be Jaegir which really has managed to develop the RT universe and should be on the list as well.  The only disappointment with the extended VC's really was that it petered off without being wrapped up.

Ah bugger it.  Look start with prog 1 and keep going.  Skip the early nineties and pick up again about prog 900.  Let's face it, this pratting about with individual storylines does nobody any good. 

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Tjm86 on 11 August, 2016, 07:55:38 PM
Ah bugger it.  Look start with prog 1 and keep going.  Skip the early nineties and pick up again about prog 900.  Let's face it, this pratting about with individual storylines does nobody any good.

Forum needs a 'Like' button.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Colin YNWA

Uh 2000ad list... maybe we need a top 10 stories thread... would I be able to do it...

Magnetica

That's the kind of thing I think about all the time.

Rogue Judge

Quote from: Tjm86 on 11 August, 2016, 07:50:29 AM
Following this thread quietly I would have to echo a lot of what has been said re Stront / Robo Hunter RJ.  The early stories are far away the best.  The Verdus story is Gibson at the top of his game and some of the battle scenes are incredibly intricate.  I'm in the 'what followed wasn't so good' camp, seeing a lot of it falling down with lame gags.  It's not hideous (well, until you get to Millar's stuff). 

The only other strips I can see missing from recommendations are, and this does surprise me unless I've missed it, the VC's and Stainless Steel Rat.  VC's is a fore runner to Rogue Trooper in the future War stakes with Cam Kennedy on art duties for the most part.  Stainless Steel Rat adapts 3 of Harrisons novels; SSR, SSR saves the world and SSR for president.  Ezquerra on art duties and for my money a damn good adaptation.

1.  Dredd
2.  Stront.
3.  Halo Jones (as has been said: Moore's top form story telling, Gibson's exquisite art)
4.  VC's - future war with Kennedy art on the first story.  Williams on later stories but expanding really nicely.
5.  Nemesis - early books have O'Neill, Redondo and Talbot on art duties.  Think Spanish Inquisition meets Clockwork Orange.
7.  Robo Hunter.
8.  Glimmer Rats.
9.  Kingdom.
10.  Leviathan.
11.  Dante.  Commit.  The Romanov Dynasty with cybernetic technology, an Errol Flynn type lead and a complex supporting cast.
12.  Button Man.
13.  Al's Baby.  Ezquerra's art and as has been said, a typically loopy storyline.
14.  D R and Quinch.  Alan Davies on art duties for a story that Alan Moore has apologised for.  Think alien Animal House with low yield tactical nuclear weaponry.
15.  Ro-busters.  A Robot version of Thunderbirds.  Ian Kennedy, Kevin O'Neill, Mike McMahon and Dave Gibbons on art duties.  The two new Nut's and Bolts volumes are probably the best.
16.  Dan Dare.  Dave Gibbons and Massimo Belardinelli artwork rebooting the fifties space hero and offending Comic historians everywhere at the time!

In the 'well it is tooth now' camp I would add Scarlet Traces, including Edginton and Disraeli's adaptation of War of the Worlds.  Well worth the read and soon to be reprinted by Rebellion although I'll be keeping my Dark Horse hardbacks.  And in the 'if you loved Nemesis' camp, it's got to be Luther Arkwright.  Talbot's storytelling in fine fettle.

Tjm86, thank you for your thorough list! I appreciate your input and the effort it took for you to put that list together. I will keep a copy of the list to refer to going forward while collecting 2000AD.

I used your list to do some research, and some of these titles are frustratingly difficult to find in Canada/online. I wanted to order the VCs and Kingdom but cant find much. Even a complete set of Nikolai Dante trades seems not to exist. Hopefully 2000AD gives some of these titles the Case Files or omnibus treatment soon.

Eamonn Clarke

Quote from: Rogue Judge on 12 August, 2016, 05:33:28 AM
Quote from: Tjm86 on 11 August, 2016, 07:50:29 AM

1.  Dredd
2.  Stront.
7.  Robo Hunter.
8.  Glimmer Rats.
9.  Kingdom.
10.  Leviathan.
12.  Button Man.

Tjm86, thank you for your thorough list! I appreciate your input and the effort it took for you to put that list together. I will keep a copy of the list to refer to going forward while collecting 2000AD.

I used your list to do some research, and some of these titles are frustratingly difficult to find in Canada/online. I wanted to order the VCs and Kingdom but cant find much. Even a complete set of Nikolai Dante trades seems not to exist. Hopefully 2000AD gives some of these titles the Case Files or omnibus treatment soon.

My podcast about Edginton and D'Israeli's Scarlet Traces books is out this sunday. Plug, plug.

Rogue Judge

Thanks to all your recommendations I'm fully committed to Strontium Dog! (I have purchased: Agency Files #1-4, Final Solution, Kreeler Conspiracy, Traitor to His Kind, Blood Moon, Life and Death of Johnny Alpha, Life and Death of Johnny Alpha - Dogs of War).

I have read the first two Agency Files (#2 was fantastic, what a great origin story) but am still a little confused as to what Alpha's eyes can do. X-ray vision? Lie detectors? See a mans soul? Hypnosis/Impress images on minds? Anymore not listed? His powers seem to vary a little from story to story, so Im never sure how he will use his eyes.

Also, I just finished reading Dredd Judgement Day and totally geeked out when I saw Johnny was in it! Seeing them together in action was a treat! Although, I was surprised they had met before. When did they first meet, possibly in a Restricted files? I haven't purchased/read those yet.

On another note, time bombs are possibly the coolest weapons over.

Smith

To echo what others said :Leviathan,DR and Quich,ABC warriors.
If nobody said it before,Zenith.Definitly Zenith.
Personally I have a soft spot for Sinister Dexter,Red Seas and Age of the wolf,but collections are kinda rare for those,I think.

Greg M.

Quote from: Rogue Judge on 06 January, 2017, 07:33:00 AM

I have read the first two Agency Files (#2 was fantastic, what a great origin story) but am still a little confused as to what Alpha's eyes can do. X-ray vision? Lie detectors? See a mans soul? Hypnosis/Impress images on minds? Anymore not listed? His powers seem to vary a little from story to story, so Im never sure how he will use his eyes.

Johnny's powers can be a little nebulous, but the vast bulk of the time, it's x-ray vision and mind-reading. On very rare occasions we've seen him accomplish low-grade telekinesis or seen the mind-reading extend to other telepathic functions, including mind-control.

Quote from: Rogue Judge on 06 January, 2017, 07:33:00 AM
Also, I just finished reading Dredd Judgement Day and totally geeked out when I saw Johnny was in it! Seeing them together in action was a treat! Although, I was surprised they had met before. When did they first meet, possibly in a Restricted files? I haven't purchased/read those yet.

The first of their (thus far) 3 meetings was in 'Top Dog', originally in the Judge Dredd Annual 1991 (but you'll get it in Restricted Files 03.) Personally, I'm waiting for the day Wagner teams them up against the Dark Judges - Johnny's psychic talents make him a fine substitute for Anderson (if he's prepared to put on the blonde wig, that is.)

I, Cosh

Quote from: Greg M. on 06 January, 2017, 09:12:09 AM
The first of their (thus far) 3 meetings was in 'Top Dog', originally in the Judge Dredd Annual 1991 (but you'll get it in Restricted Files 03.)
It's also in The Final Solution, which our man has already bought.
We never really die.

Greg M.