Main Menu

Daily Dredd

Started by Vernoona, 07 December, 2016, 03:28:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vernoona

Thanks for the recommendations Rogue Judge!

Quote from: Rogue Judge on 12 January, 2017, 11:35:21 PM
Cry of the Werewolf is another to pay special attention to with the recent passing of Steve Dillon. IDW will be releasing a special re-print of the story as well as a 'what-if' twist on the story in March as well (http://comicsalliance.com/idw-judge-dredd-cry-of-the-werewolf-tribute-steve-dillon-hero-initiative/).

Sounds great - might be worth covering as an extra after doing Cry of the Werewolf!

Colin YNWA

Between The Day the Law Died and Judge Child there's almost a year's worth of short stories that just shine for me. The strip feels fully developed and it just has so much fun. Having read these myself fairly recently I reckon your in for a great month ahead.

Trent

This is the shame for me about the Mega Collection.
There have been hundreds of Dredd one-offs or shorter stories but many from the last 20 years are pretty forgettable tbh.
The stories in the Prog from around 110 to 300 were largely pure gold with inventiveness, fun and some of the best art ever seen in comics.
The shame is, because they are in black and white and often tricky to get decent source material most will not be included in the Mega Collection.
To my mind this is a gaping ommission as they are the very definition of essential Dredd.
You have my envy in encountering them for the first time you lucky sod.

Vernoona

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 13 January, 2017, 08:29:58 AM
Between The Day the Law Died and Judge Child there's almost a year's worth of short stories that just shine for me. The strip feels fully developed and it just has so much fun. Having read these myself fairly recently I reckon your in for a great month ahead.

Thanks Colin! There's definitely already a maturity to the strips that is very different from those first 50 or so progs.

Vernoona

Quote from: Trent on 13 January, 2017, 09:59:32 AM
This is the shame for me about the Mega Collection.
There have been hundreds of Dredd one-offs or shorter stories but many from the last 20 years are pretty forgettable tbh.
The stories in the Prog from around 110 to 300 were largely pure gold with inventiveness, fun and some of the best art ever seen in comics.
The shame is, because they are in black and white and often tricky to get decent source material most will not be included in the Mega Collection.
To my mind this is a gaping ommission as they are the very definition of essential Dredd.
You have my envy in encountering them for the first time you lucky sod.

Hi Trent - glad to hear that it looks like I'm about to hit a very good patch of stories! I see what you mean about the Mega Collection - it's one of the reasons I've started getting the Case Files as well. My completionist brain hates the idea of missing out on any!

I do have a soft spot for the Mega Collection as it was my first exposure to Dredd though - and they do look very nice on the shelf!

glassstanley

Quote from: Trent on 13 January, 2017, 09:59:32 AM
The shame is, because they are in black and white and often tricky to get decent source material

A 600 dpi scan of a prog will provide much better picture quality than you find in the Case Files. It's not necessarily a case of finding the source material as it is finding (or funding) the time/will & motivation.

Vernoona

Up and running for 2017, with a pretty good run.

Vienna for me was the standout, but the multi-part DNA Man and Exo-Men stories also had their fun. I also enjoyed the Cityblock double as a good expansion of the Dredd world.

All posts are now up on the site: https://dailydredd.wordpress.com/

JayzusB.Christ

This is great stuff.  I actually prefer it to the in-depth analyses of each Dredd story the Megazine used to do - did we really need detailed biographies of every block-name celebrity? (Sorry, Bish-Op.)
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Vernoona

Another week down! Two strange Walter flashback stories, the Forever Crimes and the Father Earth 4-parter.

Father Earth makes it as the favourite for me - mainly for the fantastic scene in Part 2 where Dredd "negotiates" with the mutant army by skidding his Lawmaster to cover them with dirt and threaten to chop them up!

https://dailydredd.wordpress.com/

Colin YNWA

Still a cracking shot of thrillreview ever day. Well worth a read if you don't already

Vernoona

Hello February! Another week of progs now up on the blog. A pretty strong mixture of insane (The Guinea Pig That Changed the Law, Sob Story) and old-school (Night of the Fog, Mob Blitzers).

Highlight for me this week though is Battle of the Black Atlantic. Nice to see the Sovs again, and Dredd arrests a ship! And flirts!

https://dailydredd.wordpress.com/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sheridan

I love The Guinea Pig that Changed the Law - especially the cat, who never even got a name :(

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: sheridan on 04 February, 2017, 03:40:10 PM
I love The Guinea Pig that Changed the Law - especially the cat, who never even got a name :(

And John Cooper's hilarious misunderstanding of the caption 'Dredd posts a heavy guard.'
@jamesfeistdraws

Trent

Misunderstanding?
Always assumed it was deliberate - and very funny in that uniquely British comic way.

Vernoona

Another week down! What I'm enjoying about this current run between mega-epics is the variation. Even in just a slice of 7 progs, you have absolute craziness (Palais de Boing, The Great Muldoon) and melodrama (Death of a Judge).

My favourite this week was Night of the Great Bloodbeast - a really self-contained great horror story.

www.dailydredd.wordpress.com