Main Menu

an idea for another 2000ad story ideas

Started by lwhitehead, 03 January, 2017, 02:27:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lwhitehead

Hi I was thinking a new idea for a Post Apocolyptic setting for the world and North America instead of the Police taking over in Judge Dread we have the Catholic Church, like in the movie Priest.

Inquisitors are the ones who keep Law and Order on the Streets and out in Wilderness,

LW

dweezil2

Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

M.I.K.

Quote from: dweezil2 on 03 January, 2017, 02:37:52 AM
Careful, you'll have Mark Millar on you!   :o

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_Fodder

More than once...

(That's a Vatican Judge from the Dredd story "Crusade" back in 1995.)

Rogue Judge

Mark Millar confuses me - He seems to dabble in "blasphemy" with some of these ideas, or at least ideas insulting to the Catholic religion (which I am not btw), but I read recently that he is a devout Catholic himself. I wonder how he reduces any cognitive dissonance between his religion and his work...

That Vatican Judge looks pretty awesome too, Im working my way through the case files and will come to that story soon. Is it any good?

(Link regarding his religion: http://www.newsarama.com/32571-100-little-known-facts-about-comic-books-part-2.html#s14)

Smith

Crusade is nor awesome,sorry to say.Its pretty much the worst of Millars JD run.

The Legendary Shark

I'd much rather see a new story set in post-Apocalyptic Trumpton featuring Judge Pugh, Judge Pugh, Judge Barney, Judge McGrew, Judge Cuthbert, Judge Dibble and Judge Grubb squaring off against Windy Mark Millar and Chippy Orlok the carpentry assassin.

Also, Postapocalypticman Pat and his black and white radrat might be good for a giggle...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Albion

Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Smith

Could we please limit the Trump discussion to the political thread?

malkymac

There was an arsom wraparound cover by Mike McMahon years ago showing Dredd in a scene fighting with Texas city judges (Texas city judges in gray uniforms) in a scene from some never previously or since mentioned civil war.

I have always thought this was a story worth exploring more.

Dash Decent

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 03 January, 2017, 07:56:21 AM
I'd much rather see a new story set in post-Apocalyptic Trumpton

Don't forget Cambermeg Green? Click!

All hail MOC! (Not "Mint on Card", the other one.)
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Rogue Judge on 03 January, 2017, 04:55:41 AM
Mark Millar confuses me - He seems to dabble in "blasphemy" with some of these ideas, or at least ideas insulting to the Catholic religion (which I am not btw), but I read recently that he is a devout Catholic himself. I wonder how he reduces any cognitive dissonance between his religion and his work...
First, I'm not sure what could be considered blasphemous about introducing a caricature of religious intolerance within a story which deliberately brings together every Dreddworld cultural stereotype in one place.

Secondly, it should be clear that everything he writes is striving too hard to be provocative in some way. I wasn't aware that he was a practicing Catholic, but I can't see that stopping him.

It's also possible there's a hard to translate cultural element to this: particularly in the West of Scotland where Mark is from, sectarian bigotry and abuse are frequently substitutes for reasoned debate and witty banter in all walks of life. Nobody involved really believes in religion and nobody actually gets offended, but it's invoked as a shorthand for  all sorts of tedious, tribal pish and generally awful behaviour.
We never really die.

sheridan

Quote from: malkymac on 03 January, 2017, 11:34:41 AM
There was an arsom wraparound cover by Mike McMahon years ago showing Dredd in a scene fighting with Texas city judges (Texas city judges in gray uniforms) in a scene from some never previously or since mentioned civil war.

Prog 169 - black and white version following:

sheridan

Quote from: sheridan on 03 January, 2017, 12:40:10 PM
Quote from: malkymac on 03 January, 2017, 11:34:41 AM

Prog 169 - black and white version following:

(from Pete's great Covers Uncovered blog)

Rogue Judge

Quote from: I, Cosh on 03 January, 2017, 12:26:30 PM
Quote from: Rogue Judge on 03 January, 2017, 04:55:41 AM
First, I'm not sure what could be considered blasphemous about introducing a caricature of religious intolerance within a story which deliberately brings together every Dreddworld cultural stereotype in one place.

Secondly, it should be clear that everything he writes is striving too hard to be provocative in some way. I wasn't aware that he was a practicing Catholic, but I can't see that stopping him.

It's also possible there's a hard to translate cultural element to this: particularly in the West of Scotland where Mark is from, sectarian bigotry and abuse are frequently substitutes for reasoned debate and witty banter in all walks of life. Nobody involved really believes in religion and nobody actually gets offended, but it's invoked as a shorthand for  all sorts of tedious, tribal pish and generally awful behaviour.

Thanks for the explanation Cosh. I was considering his works as a whole when I asked, Including his Canon Fodder characters etc., when questioning - maybe blasphemy is the wrong word, but for being Catholic he sure writes some stories contrary to his personal beliefs, which is interesting. But like I said, I am not Catholic and may lack the cultural background regarding these issues. Thanks for the insights!

Also, the fact that the Dreddverse does such a great job highlighting cultural stereotypes is the reason I was hopeful the story with the Vatican Judges would be good...apparently it is not (thanks Smith!), which is disappointing because the concept seems solid.

Smith

In Millars defense,he was young.
Hes more or less like a friend who tells a bad joke then elbows you with: Get it?Get it?
Judge Costner?Get it?
Comrade Ed?Get it?
Sov Judge Yeltsin?Get it?