Main Menu

an idea for another 2000ad story ideas

Started by lwhitehead, 03 January, 2017, 02:27:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

malkymac

Quote from: sheridan on 03 January, 2017, 12:40:10 PM
Quote from: malkymac on 03 January, 2017, 11:34:41 AM
There was an arsom wraparound cover by Mike McMahon years ago showing Dredd in a scene fighting with Texas city judges (Texas city judges in gray uniforms) in a scene from some never previously or since mentioned civil war.

I have always thought this was a story worth exploring more.

Prog 169 - black and white version following:

Magic! i have not seen that for years.

sheridan

Quote from: lwhitehead on 03 January, 2017, 02:27:56 AM
Hi I was thinking a new idea for a Post Apocolyptic setting for the world and North America instead of the Police taking over in Judge Dread we have the Catholic Church, like in the movie Priest.

Is it not a bit contradictory to call it a new idea when it's similar to a film (haven't seen the film in question so don't know how Dredd-like it is).

Steve Green

Massive bikes, a megacity with a wall separating it from a desert, ruled over by an authoritarian monastic group.

Pretty similar.

And Karl Urban's in it.

Smith

Professor Bear

Quote from: Rogue Judge on 03 January, 2017, 04:55:41 AM
Mark Millar confuses me - He seems to dabble in "blasphemy" with some of these ideas, or at least ideas insulting to the Catholic religion (which I am not btw), but I read recently that he is a devout Catholic himself. I wonder how he reduces any cognitive dissonance between his religion and his work...

A similar example would be John Woo, who made some appallingly violent films (in which good does not necessarily triumph), but has for decades been a devout Christian.
Writers are generally not a reflection of their work - it was a surprise to many that Orson Scott Card was such a small-minded and intolerant arsehole in real life, for instance.

Rogue Judge

Thanks for the further examples Professor Bear - I guess it isn't as an uncommon thing to do as I thought. Maybe they live vicariously through their writing.

Adrian Bamforth

Of course religion is intentionally mixed up with cultural identity and race, with religions building themselves as a pillar in your life from a young age so that even if you have independent beliefs, leaving the fold will make you feel a calamitous hole if your world (the 'Ghostly Hole' as Rory McGrath put it), or more overtly, make you lose your friends and family.

Perhaps it's well-known but have there ever been Judges in Dredd's world from southern states where fascists took over, who's uniforms involve white pointy helmets? It seems too obvious to have not happened yet.

sheridan

Quote from: Adrian Bamforth on 06 January, 2017, 03:26:32 PM
Perhaps it's well-known but have there ever been Judges in Dredd's world from southern states where fascists took over, who's uniforms involve white pointy helmets? It seems too obvious to have not happened yet.

Closest I can think of is Texas City (their cowboy hats are pretty pointy, and they've got a real bee in their bonnets about muties).

M.I.K.

I think the Nemesis stories had the pointy helmet thing pretty much covered.

Steve Green